Lost motivation: HAM.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

HAM done with F1 ?

Poll ended at 16 Nov 2020, 10:04

HAM will retire after 2018 season
15%
HAM will retire after 2019 season
12%
HAM will retire after 2020 season
18%
HAM will race in 2021 season
22%
HAM will go to Ferrari at some point
7%
HAM will take a sabbatical at some point
1%
HAM will become RNB/RAP artist
5%
HAM will become father soon
1%
HAM will become ambassador for Greenpeace
15%
HAM will ride in MotoGP
4%

Total votes: 82

strad

Re: Lost motivation: HAM.

I don't think it is motivation he has lost so much as focus.
He has too many outside interests and needs to refocus on being the best driver he can be.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

ClarkBT11

Would Ferrari hire Lewis?

wesley123
wesley123

Andres125sx wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 19:20
And you didn´t learn the leasson? :P

He has no options because Ferrari has Vettel, Mercedes Hamilton, and RBR Max and Ricciardo apart from they rarely hire outside drivers, but you´re assuming he painted himself into a corner (I got it at first, but thanks for the link anyway), even when he´s driving for a team you did assume would never hire him again.

He´s very demanding, ok, but only because he always perform and he want his team to perform similar. Nothing a top team would be afraid about if they´re aiming the titles
Mercedes has had no issues with drivers battling each other, so in theory there would have been place for another WDC.

However, I doubt anyone would even want him, considering his salary. No one is going to pay tenths of millions for a driver that is at the end of his F1 career. And then I'm not even talking about his skills as a team player, something which has really hurt his career.

You could say that other teams has its own top drivers, but you could also look at it the other way; McLaren wanted a WDC in their team, and in 2014/2015 the sole driver available was Alonso.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

strad wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 21:54
He has too many outside interests and needs to refocus on being the best driver he can be.
Not that old line again. Other drivers have families which are also time consuming and take focus away. Hamilton has always said that the stuff he does outside of F1 recharges him mentally which helps him be focussed "at work".
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

turbof1

I'm not liking how the tone is evolving here. Everybody, stay respective and objective. The topic will be closed the moment things go sideways!
#AeroFrodo

Ennis
Ennis

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 10:28
strad wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 21:54
Not that old line again. Other drivers have families which are also time consuming and take focus away. Hamilton has always said that the stuff he does outside of F1 recharges him mentally which helps him be focussed "at work".
It's something which extends to many sportspeople - if I can see what you're doing outside of the sport, you're not focused. If I have no idea what you're doing, I'll assume you're focused.

I've never understood it. I'm an introvert, Hamilton's lifestyle would take it out of me. I couldn't perform and do what he does. But I also know major extroverts who would be energised by that lifestyle, that is their idea of 'rest' and its what they enjoy.

I really don't see outside distractions being his issue, unless there's some 2011-level stuff going on that we've somehow not heard about. He just seems fed up - whether that is with the formula, or the car, or a combination of both.

Somewhat technical - I'd encourage anyone who thinks like this to look in to some of the more recognised personality profiles. Really interesting to take yourself out of your own way of thinking, figure out how other people think, which then makes communicating with them in general so much easier. Especially if you need to negotiate something out of them :)

SectorOne

It seems every year a thread like this is made. "has lewis lost it?"
The psychiatrists and doctors pop out the woodwork and start analyzing the situation.
The fact that a new contract hasnt been signed just adds fuel to the fire.

Honestly, he´s in one of the greatest Formula 1 teams of all time who right now has dominated the last 4 years of the sport and still have the possibility to to further improve on that with Hamilton potentially joining an even more lucrative bracket in terms of F1 world titles and people start wondering if he´s lost his motivation?

If this was about Alonso i´d say you got a fair point but Lewis? really?
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Andres125sx

wesley123 wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 09:25
Andres125sx wrote:

He has no options because Ferrari has Vettel, Mercedes Hamilton, and RBR Max and Ricciardo apart from they rarely hire outside drivers, but you´re assuming he painted himself into a corner (I got it at first, but thanks for the link anyway), even when he´s driving for a team you did assume would never hire him again.

He´s very demanding, ok, but only because he always perform and he want his team to perform similar. Nothing a top team would be afraid about if they´re aiming the titles
Mercedes has had no issues with drivers battling each other, so in theory there would have been place for another WDC.
In theory. In the real world they´re winning both titles since 2014, so it would be utter nosense to pay another top salary... for what exactly? They can´t do it any better. Actually I´ve think more than once they (before 2018) sandbag usually to keep a false feeling of competition, when they could have anihilated the rest of the field, but that would have promoted some rule changes from FIA
wesley123 wrote:
And then I'm not even talking about his skills as a team player, something which has really hurt his career.
Can you please provide some source to prove this is NOT an unfounded myth?

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Andres125sx wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 18:29
wesley123 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

In theory. In the real world they´re winning both titles since 2014, so it would be utter nosense to pay another top salary... for what exactly? They can´t do it any better. Actually I´ve think more than once they (before 2018) sandbag usually to keep a false feeling of competition, when they could have anihilated the rest of the field, but that would have promoted some rule changes from FIA
wesley123 wrote:
And then I'm not even talking about his skills as a team player, something which has really hurt his career.
Can you please provide some source to prove this is NOT an unfounded myth?
+2.

same old same old. Some sort of 'find a victim to bash' virus. I'd say it makes people feel better about themselves to talk down on people who 'have it all' and are an 'opponent' to one's personal favourite. whoever fits the shoe......

anyway, in all reality, you can put that on everybody. same goes for Lewis. Mercedes needed a WDC and Hamilton fits that bill. Schumacher was out. Rosberg was doubtfull. Ham got 'lucky'.

Things would be pretty different, wouldn't it, if it was Alonso who would have signed with Mercedes instead of Lewis, and Lewis would have either stayed with Mclaren (would have been career suicide), or went to Ferrari (and remain inevitably dry). Or if Alonso actually would have signed with Brawn and dominated the 2009 season.
Or, would have actually signed with RedBull, another very real signing possibility he actually did NOT make, resulting in Vettel being a 4-time WDC there. It could - and would - have been Alonso who would have had multiple WDC's under his belt @ RedBull then.

Just as much as i wouldn't have been surprised to see Alonso then having moved to Ferrari like Vettel did, and fighting for the WDC last year ANd this year. Quite frankly, i still think Alonso is a better driver than Vettel and i do believe there's a big chance he would have been WDC last year. With Ferrari.

Things - unfortunately for Alonso - did not go that way though, and he ended up in promising places that unfortunately did not live up to THEIR promise at all. You cannot say that about Alonso, he has delivered always.

Now back to the driver at hand, Lewis, he has been notorious for getting distracted during his career. has also made some hefty decisions there, but that's another story. His on-and-off relationship with Scherzinger. Then breaking up and focusing on his career. then music, then back to his F1 career. then things going well for him and suddenly hes on the backfoot and having to focus again.

Thing is, it seems like this time though, he is more distracted than ever, and i'm not seeing much from him that shows that 'turn switch' going on the grab another title dominantly. Thus, it is only logical to be suspicious about his motivation beeing rather down compared to before. That doesn't alter his excellent racing skills, but it does influence results. funny enough thouhg, he's still 2nd by minor points in the WDC battle.

France will be an interesting race to watch, surely he has to be motivated to make a mark there.

But as for 2021, right now, i'd say, i think he'll give it a rest. F1, that is. WEC, Indy, LeMans, Nascar, MotoGP is another story.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Brenton
Brenton

If Hamilton is fed up with the way these cars race, in a way it makes me admire him more even though I'm not a fan at all. He's always spoken like a true competitor that isn't afraid to be teammates with anyone, who wants to compete hard and be challenged by the best in the world. Most other multiple champion F1 drivers in past and present have strongly preferred to NOT be challenged like that, and instead be in the best car partnered with a weak teammate. If he is as competitive as he says, I could see the current state of F1 racing to bother him. The overtaking delta and the tire management may be ruining part of the opportunity for a driver to do what they love most during a race - push the car to the limit and have a fair chance of overtaking a slower driver.
Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 21:50
Brenton wrote:
12 Jun 2018, 20:36

I'm surprised to read this thread, considering Hamilton is still favorite for the wdc this year,
Really? He's going to need something to start going well for him for that to be the case. The Ferrari is the better car and Vettel is definitely more than capable of making full use of it.
Yes bookmaker odds are giving Hamilton the edge, though a mild one. And Mercedes is almost certain to win the WCC, which means either Mercedes has the better car (combination of reliability and pace) or their combination of car and drivers is better in sum compared to Ferrari. (to put in laymans terms: Kimi is costing Ferrari the WCC if Ferrari has the better car)

PlatinumZealot

Manoah2u wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 19:30

Things would be pretty different, wouldn't it, if it was Alonso who would have signed with Mercedes instead of Lewis, and Lewis would have either stayed with Mclaren (would have been career suicide), or went to Ferrari (and remain inevitably dry). Or if Alonso actually would have signed with Brawn and dominated the 2009 season.
Alonso could never go to Mercedes because he is black listed there. He cost them 100 million and Dr. Z will never forget that. I really laugh any time i read such statements.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

probenprinz
probenprinz

PlatinumZealot wrote:
17 Jun 2018, 03:03
Manoah2u wrote:

Alonso could never go to Mercedes because he is black listed there. He cost them 100 million and Dr. Z will never forget that. I really laugh any time i read such statements.
I don't remember the situation, why he costed 100m to Merc?

TheGkbrk
TheGkbrk

His tendency being more of a superstar media guy makes him look less passionate. And I do think he is not as passionate as before but leaving F1 won't happen before 2020, as an opinion. He still has the upper hand for this year's title chances but I see Vettel more passionate even though they have the same amount of WDCs and similar success stats.
Also I have doubts if Lewis will ever aim for success in other racing series or something like a triple crown.

Jolle
Jolle

probenprinz wrote:
17 Jun 2018, 11:52
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:

I don't remember the situation, why he costed 100m to Merc?
His testimony and providing the emails for the spy gate during the 2007 season, which was one of the reasons for Mercedes to sell McLaren and start their own team. Mercedes felt betrayed.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

PlatinumZealot wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: i laugh really hard any time i read posts like yours.

geesh, sucking them right out of the thumb as it goes. some serious tinfoil hat wearing here.

nothing like that at all. Alonso is not responsible at all for anything like that. Nigel Stepney was, aswell as Coughlan.
funniest of it all is that the 780 page document was copied in a friggin copy store.

Alonso was only involved due to the spat with Ron Dennis after that 'famous' weekend, but it just as much involved Pedro de la Rosa - even Hamilton has been mentioned,
but that kept silent for whatever reason. Dennis himself was the catalysator, and Alonso grabbed Ron by the nuts with the emails. Dennis then dug his own grave with Mosley waiting for such an opportunity for a long time, and then the ball went rolling. Alonso aided the FIA in the investigation, that doesn't equal he is the cause or reason for all that disaster.

Another newsflash, he's been driving for Mclaren for years now, part when it was still under Ron Dennis' reign. shoudln't that wake you tinfoilers up? geesh.
You're all insane in making these completely unbased allogations just from complete scratch.
Funny even the amount of how uninformed people are not even realising Dieter Zetsche has resigned from Mercedes' board and goes to TUI, so if Zetsche would be any party there,
that's no longer the case.

have a read here first

https://www.wired.com/2008/05/ff-formul ... ntPage=all

all this Alonso hatred is really sad and pathetic.

some more stuff

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/mot ... 98321.html
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"