Let's discuss fuel: it's becoming more important than ever

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
apexcontrol

Let's discuss fuel: it's becoming more important than ever

Let's Discuss Fuel.
Thinking about all the regeneration capability on today's F1 car, the fuel must be one of the most important things of the F1 fight&development, with the best fuel you can make more power and have more regeneration. the best fuel maybe will have also the best cooling capability's and the best lubrication capability's.

what do you guys think about fuel do you think this is maybe underrated on the forum ? or do you think i am thinking to much about very small gains on the whole of the car.

1.power
2.regeneration
3.lubrication
4.cooling
5.weight
6.active balance of the car
7wear and tear

8 #-o smokescreen ferrari powered cars ? #-o

the biggest en richest company's of the world battling each other and making 105kg of super fluid ?
Seems to me there is allot going on here
Last edited by Steven on 19 Jul 2018, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed caps in title

trinidefender

Re: Let's Discuss Fuel. BECOMING WAY MORE INPORTANT THEN EVER ?!!!!

I believe most on here don't underestimate the importance of fuel. Every now and again a conversation comes up about fuel composition. The issue is that very little information is released about the fuel and oils used by the various teams so we have very little to go by.

P.s. In the future please leave out the tacky and clickbait all capitalised titles. They really ruin the look of what is supposed to be a somewhat technical forum.

marmer

if it wasn't for the $ that fuel companies bring into the sport i would like to see teams forced to use off the shelf fuel and all be the same brand. perhaps as a title sponsor to f1. So f1 sponsored by Shell V power and Pirreli tyres.

the FIA would provide fuel from supplier to the teams to stop teams getting a special mixture.

Shell > FIA > Teams

mclaren111

Fuel is already regulated.

IIRC the rules state that 80/90% of the fuel must be "pump" fuel and the balance can have special "stuff" added.

The FIA do random checks over race weekends to ensure it comply with the sample the fuel companies supply at the begining off each season.

Tommy Cookers

we could also say fuel is almost unregulated

any of the 10000+ constituents that can be found in current pump fuel can be used can be used in any combination
maximum Octane number is unlimited - how is that for regulated pump fuel ?
heat content is not regulated - in races that limit performance by limiting fuel massflow and mass

search the old threads on this subject

Manoah2u

apexcontrol wrote:
18 Jul 2018, 00:17
Let's Discuss Fuel.
Thinking about all the regeneration capability on today's F1 car, the fuel must be one of the most important things of the F1 fight&development, with the best fuel you can make more power and have more regeneration. the best fuel maybe will have also the best cooling capability's and the best lubrication capability's.

what do you guys think about fuel do you think this is maybe underrated on the forum ? or do you think i am thinking to much about very small gains on the whole of the car.

1.power
2.regeneration
3.lubrication
4.cooling
5.weight
6.active balance of the car
7wear and tear

8 #-o smokescreen ferrari powered cars ? #-o

the biggest en richest company's of the world battling each other and making 105kg of super fluid ?
Seems to me there is allot going on here
A. please don't put rediculous caps lock screams in topic titles. :roll:

B. offcourse fuel has it's influence. the fact that teams running different suppliers than the manufacturer's engine lubrificants and fuels causes them to lose HP, shows that there's importance there.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

apexcontrol

Re: Let's discuss fuel: it's becoming more important than ever

yeah sorry about the use off caps..... just wanted to share my enthusiasm,
i really do think fuel is some what underrated at this stage of combustion efficiencies.

i think the fuel is making Ferrari stronger then mercedes because they have the best fuel for a F1 car with current regulations

Muniix

They can design a fuel with a specific OH radical reaction rate, would make a far better indicator for fuel.

apexcontrol

It seems ferrari usses a special fuel thats to expensive for haas to use.

So maybe i am on the good track with my assumption that ferrari gains are fuel related, a extremely exotic fuel mix with superior burning/cooling qualities

McHonda

apexcontrol wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 11:50
It seems ferrari usses a special fuel thats to expensive for haas to use.

So maybe i am on the good track with my assumption that ferrari gains are fuel related, a extremely exotic fuel mix with superior burning/cooling qualities
Where did you read/hear the Haas bit? Sounds interesting.

subcritical71

With the report from AMuS (https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... ri-benzin/) claiming that Shell have brought a rare and expensive 'super-molecule' into their fuel, so rare that they can only supply 2 cars worth, I would think that would be frowned upon by the FIA. The rule I think they will run afoul of is 19.1.2 and 19.1.3. The later being a catchall for unforeseeable future advancements.

But its all here say anyway, as we commoners would never know what is actually in the fuel.

ARTICLE 19 : FUEL
19.1 Purpose of Article 19 :
19.1.1 The purpose of this Article is to ensure that the fuel used in Formula One is petrol as this term is generally understood.
19.1.2 The detailed requirements of this Article are intended to ensure the use of fuels that are composed of compounds normally found in commercial fuels and to prohibit the use of specific power-boosting chemical compounds. Acceptable compounds and compound classes are defined in 19.2 and 19.4.3. In addition, to cover the presence of low level impurities, the sum of components lying outside the 19.2 and 19.4.3 definitions are limited to 1% max m/m of the total fuel.
19.1.3 Any petrol, which appears to have been formulated in order to subvert the purpose of this regulation, will be deemed to be outside it.

McHonda

Thanks for the link.

I don't think it contravenes those rules, we've known about special fuel mixes and additives since 2014 so for it to be a problem based on it being even more special wouldn't get far or be incredibly unfair if it did.

subcritical71

McHonda wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 21:12
Thanks for the link.

I don't think it contravenes those rules, we've known about special fuel mixes and additives since 2014 so for it to be a problem based on it being even more special wouldn't get far or be incredibly unfair if it did.
I'm thinking in regards to cost caps for next year (soft or super soft) and not wanting to start a fuel 'arms race'. I know fuel is a major part of the performance of the engines, but for the most part the fuel suppliers seem to be more or less even. To see one gain an advantage would just mean another trash bin to throw money at.

McHonda

subcritical71 wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 23:01
McHonda wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 21:12
Thanks for the link.

I'm thinking in regards to cost caps for next year (soft or super soft) and not wanting to start a fuel 'arms race'. I know fuel is a major part of the performance of the engines, but for the most part the fuel suppliers seem to be more or less even. To see one gain an advantage would just mean another trash bin to throw money at.
I think they've been throwing money in that trash bin since 2014 in trying to catch up with Petronas but it's a good point about the cost caps and I think it would be a good area to target as it might have the knock on effect of creating closer competition.

Zynerji

Didn't Cyril mention this week that the RBR fuel/ lubricant actually gives them an edge over the Renault works team? I believe I read that, or heard it somewhere this weekend...