Who should replace Ricciardo at Red Bull ?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Who should replace Ricciardo at Red Bull ?

LEC
1%
GAS
34%
OCO
3%
RAI
3%
SAI
27%
HUL
3%
NOR
1%
ALO
26%
BUE
1%
MAG
No votes

Total votes: 146

Sieper

Re: Who should replace Ricciardo at Red Bull ?

Verstappen does listen to team orders. Malaysia 2016 is the clearest example. In 2015, when still proving his worth he called in a NO, yes that is true.

Baku this year Max had all the right to defend his position. There were no team orders, if any were given then a Merc or Ferr style order would have simply told the attacker to not force it anymore in the last 15 or so laps in the race (like Ver did in Malaysia, where he actually was in front, just he pitted earlier and that gave Ric track position (who was a pitstop down on Max) and at that moment Hamilton engine blew up and RBR called them both in (Max even had to wait an additional 3 secs as Ric was pitting in front of him). Team Orders like for example Bottas received the order in Germany this year.

On topic. it will be Gasly, but make no mistake, Gas is ambitious like any other upcommer, I don't think he will accept number role and I do agree that with Merc en Ferr so clearly doing it RBR needs to do the same (unfortunately).

NathanOlder

AJI wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 01:52
Gasly should replace RIC. It fits well with RB's young gun promotion policy and GAS seems to be fast. He might even challenge VES in 2020! Hell, he may even become RB's new golden boy...
Both have a best result of 4th in a Toro Rosso, but Gasly has multiple world championships in single seaters where as Max has none. So nothing saying he cant be faster than Max indeed.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

AJI
AJI

RB won't be in a championship winning position next year, so team orders don't really matter like they do for Merc and Ferrari

AJI
AJI

NathanOlder wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 11:08
AJI wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 01:52
Gasly should replace RIC. It fits well with RB's young gun promotion policy and GAS seems to be fast. He might even challenge VES in 2020! Hell, he may even become RB's new golden boy...
Both have a best result of 4th in a Toro Rosso, but Gasly has multiple world championships in single seaters where as Max has none. So nothing saying he cant be faster than Max indeed.
Gasly is a future superstar. Not next year, but he may just give Max a run for his money in 2020...

NathanOlder

Indeed, and by then we will have Russell and Norris in F1. The future is bright.

Max, Leclerc, Gasly, Norris, Russell will all be title contenders in years to come.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

HPD

:)

apexcontrol

AJI wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 10:59
apexcontrol wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 10:41
AJI wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 10:34
It needs to be Gasly. He's the only one who will upset VES. Newer, prettier, possibly faster..? Marko likes to keep his drivers hungry to prove their worth.
that's the point, they don't want to have a upset AGAIN. what are there gains for redbull's drivers taking each other out.
you have seen it happing with mercedes, and this year with redbull

do really think that helmut will allow such stupidity again, NO WAY. redbull needs to win and that will not happen if they keep crashing into each other.
everything else will not be logical,

And it's confirmed many times, verstappen not listen to teamorders. so there will come one driver who needs to listen.
all other options will be not beneficial
So who is that driver?
yeah maybe gas if he wants to listen, and does not created upsets, there have enough of it @ redbull

Andres125sx

FrukostScones wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 09:26
Andres125sx wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 09:10
FrukostScones wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 14:48

SAI goes to McLaren and if SAI deserves a RB seat then HUL deserves it even more.
Since when RBR hire outsider drivers?

Sainz is a RBR driver, and even if they know Max is quicker (and less consistent btw) that never stopped RBR with Webber for example. This is F1, the weird thing would be hiring two top drivers who can battle each other
you named RB outside driver yourself.

Fair enough, but you know, he was the exception proving the rule :mrgreen:

FrukostScones wrote:
And why stick to a rule when it just make your life harder, especially filling TR seats or pissing off Max Verstappen.
Because that´s the main reason their young driver program is so successful. Otherwise talented young drivers will not be as interested on the program
FrukostScones wrote:
This guy is filling the venues like no other so I don't think they will take his nemesis SAI into that seat.
He would be a great number two, but he would probably cause problems with the team spiritual balance.
As any other ambitious driver. I hate saying this, but Sainz has been beaten by both Verstappen and Hulkemberg. Ok they´re both extremelly talented drivers, but that´s the reason I think Sainz is the perfect driver for the role, fast and consistent, but may accept wingman role if that´s the only way to get a top seat

FrukostScones wrote:
So I think they will take GAS unless they can't fill TR seats. SAI is not going back to TR by himself I think, so if McLaren offers something he will sign there.
MAG would fit well because VER would not be annoyed by him me thinks and that they could make clear to him: enjoy while it lasts but don't become to cheeky. Aka number 2 driver.
But we will see. : )
CAn´t know for sure obviously, but in my mind Gasly will hardly accept the role.

Magnusen might be a good option, but not a RBR driver. But after Sainz I think he´s one of the best options.

I´d love to see Alonso in the team, but I can´t see him driving a Honda PU again, and I really can´t say which negative would be stronger, the one from Alonso or that from Honda, specially now that he´s a Toyota driver for WEC :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

apexcontrol

Well maybe van doorne then.

FrukostScones

RAI gaining momentum....
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

marmer

FrukostScones wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 15:28
RAI gaining momentum....
Strangely the two most charismatic men in F1 but for very different reasons

Bill_Kar

AJI wrote:
It needs to be Gasly. He's the only one who will upset VES. Newer, prettier, possibly faster..? Marko likes to keep his drivers hungry to prove their worth.
The funny thing is he is one year older than Max. Makes you wonder how special Max is.

AJI
AJI

Bill_Kar wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 03:04
AJI wrote:
The funny thing is he is one year older than Max. Makes you wonder how special Max is.
Well, the rules were changed after Max joined F1. He'll always hold the 'youngest driver in the history of F1' title by default.
A better comparison is what each driver has achieved in the time they have been in F1. This is of course entirely dependant on the car you're in during those years.

Ringleheim

All summer long the story line has been that all the good seats were occupied for next season, so Fred Alonso should go to Indycar.

Here's a good seat for Fred! Get to Red Bull Mr. Alonso!

In the alternative, Kimi should definitely go to Red Bull. Why? Because I am a huge Ferrari fan and if Kimi is at Red Bull next year it means he is NOT driving a Ferrari! Perfect!

WaikeCU

Andres125sx wrote:
07 Aug 2018, 19:29
I´d love to see Alonso in the team, but I can´t see him driving a Honda PU again, and I really can´t say which negative would be stronger, the one from Alonso or that from Honda, specially now that he´s a Toyota driver for WEC :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
He doesn't need to do WEC next season, since he has won the 24h Le Mans with Toyota. That was his main objective. Another step closer to do the quadruple. So Red Bull-Honda can still happen for him.