Chest Protection

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Shrieker

Chest Protection

So I vaguely recall this subject being discussed under the halo thread, but I think it deserves its own (pardon me if such a thread already exists). After contemplating it a little, I think people had a point; the new helmet for 2019 is a step in the right direction, but now with the halo, the drivers' chest/torso is clearly exposed and very vulnerable to a Massaesque freak occurrence. An impact at just the right angle with the halo can send an object towards the driver's chest/torso at an immense rate of knots, which can kill a human on impact. Although the chances are minuscule, same could be said about some of the freak occurrences in the past.

So what do you guys think would be a good and practical solution ? An insert like the one here (would make the driver hot), or something more robust that sort of 'floats' just above the driver's chest/torso, and is hooked to the interior sides of the cockpit ?

Or would you rather leave things as is ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

AJI
AJI

Re: Chest Protection

Shrieker wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 04:21

...So what do you guys think would be a good and practical solution ?...
The removal of the Halo..?

DiogoBrand

3 options, from my POV:
1 Keep things as they are with the small chance of an object hitting the halo and then the driver's body.
2 Remove the halo and make people at the FIA unhappy with a step back in safety
3 Introduce an aeroscreen and make Vettel unhappy.

Which is the best (or less bad) choice, I'm not sure.

zac510

I assume the OP is being facetious and the thread is a veiled dig at the Halo.

Jolle

"oh no, the halo is a killing device"

yes, any exposed flesh is an accident waiting to happen. But, I think you find that the HALO is a bit more clever then you assume. The HALO is round, angled away from the driver. There are almost no impact points where an object can hit the HALO and end up at the small point between the HANS straps on the drivers chest (and really impossible to have it hit straight on). In a freak accident the drivers shoulders and arms would be exposed (but are covered almost entirely by the head protection). Furthermore, the divers overalls are made from tear resistent material which can handle the sharp edges of pieces of carbon (and combined with the sturdy straps and HANS lapels) he's pretty safe.

"Yes, but what if the car is at an angle??"

This would mean a very high speed spin into debris, where you definitely do want a HALO...

But if you're really worried, or if the teams/drivers would be very worried, they could have a small strip of kevlar with some padding added between their shoulder straps, no more then 300grams.

roon

Two words: Full car helmet.

AJI
AJI

roon wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 10:50
Two words: Full car helmet.

http://img.raagalahari.com/feb2012/func ... road38.jpg
That's three words.., but I like it!

Shrieker

zac510 wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 09:29
I assume the OP is being facetious and the thread is a veiled dig at the Halo.
No I wasn't concern trolling at all... In fact, although I was opposed to the halo at first, I wasn't heretically protesting its introduction at any point. I think it hasn't made much of a difference the way I perceive F1. If you want a more objective opinion on it, my father had no idea whatsoever before the season started, and the halo caught his eye 2nd or 3rd race in, and his response was "what is that thing" (as in - that ghastly, ugly, out of place thing), and we had to explain to him :) But he didn't make any fuss at all, apart from his initial response.

I think safety wise the halo has become a nice and necessary addition. I'd be pleased if they made it somehow thinner and more eye friendly without compromising its strength.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Shrieker

Jolle wrote:
10 Aug 2018, 10:28
But if you're really worried, or if the teams/drivers would be very worried, they could have a small strip of kevlar with some padding added between their shoulder straps, no more then 300grams.
Yes I must've overlooked the straps and their padding :) Then something like the one in the video above placed on top of the straps would not hinder the drivers, and neither would obstruct the airflow (much) and the drivers wouldn't get hot. It's a lightweight solution, could also be attached to the straps much like the hans (albeit at only one side), so when the straps are removed, the driver is completely free :idea:
-Atatürk