Fernando Alonso announces his retirement.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Macklaren
Macklaren

Re: 2018 McLaren F1 Team - Renault

Autosport reporting that Alonso will retire at the end of 2018!

CONFIRMED by Fernando Twitter!

dren

It says he won't race in F1 in 2019, so I don't know if that's retirement or just moving to something new for a few years. Either way, it looks like Sainz might be incoming?
Honda!

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Sounds like he's leaving the door slightly ajar. I definitely didn't expect this.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

!Technical
!Technical

Wow huge news. Another loss to F1 as well as the loss in revenue and loss in viewers globally. Liberty needs to do more to save our dying sport.

Andres125sx

makecry wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 15:17
rscsr wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 15:03
makecry wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 14:19

I did.

The numbers are not accurate at all.

The Stoffel's number for 0.195% is not accurate. Alonso out-qualified Vandoorne 16-3 with a median gap of 0.445%.The gap between them was significantly larger in the first half of the season (0.630% vs. 0.195%), while the tallies were similar (8-1 vs. 8-2).

He has pulled the number out of thin air after applying some really weird performance equalizers to his entire equation.
The median is not the average.
Median is a better indicator. Average is not a good indicator when there are outliers.
If you want to make a comparison with the median as a better indicator than average, ok, that´s great. But please do not claim the average numbers are wrong, and then show your own as a proof, but comparing a different indicator #-o

Andres125sx

GPR-A wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 16:14
turbof1 wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 16:05
makecry wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 14:19

I did.

The numbers are not accurate at all.

The Stoffel's number for 0.195% is not accurate. Alonso out-qualified Vandoorne 16-3 with a median gap of 0.445%.The gap between them was significantly larger in the first half of the season (0.630% vs. 0.195%), while the tallies were similar (8-1 vs. 8-2).

He has pulled the number out of thin air after applying some really weird performance equalizers to his entire equation.
I personally came to a difference of 0.354%. I included every qualifying session they both drove, so Q1 and Q2. I compared Q1 times to Q1 times and Q2 times to Q2 times. If for instance Vandoorne got knocked out in Q1 and Alonso did not, I would not factor in Alonso's Q2 time. Which is fair, conditions can quickly vary between Q sessions and to omit as many variables as possible, only the times they set in roughly the same period should matter.

Note I counted for every such session including the ones where Vandoorne had a readable downforce handicap. If I omit those, it drops to 0.268%
Does it make sense to compare Q1 and Q2? Unless, there are some situations like a driver couldn't move into Q2 or Q3 because of some weird issues. But otherwise, drivers typically leave a tenth or two in Q1 and Q2, just to keep some cards close to their chest, away from their team mate. It's always the Q3 (or Q2 for cars that find it hard to get into Q3) that reveals the ultimate potential of the driver-car combo.
True..... for top cars wich go into Q3 easily. Not true for McLaren I´m afraid

Andres125sx

Macklaren wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 17:06
Autosport reporting that Alonso will retire at the end of 2018!

CONFIRMED by Fernando Twitter!
Sad news for F1 :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Jackles-UK wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 18:07
Exactly what Jenson did in 2016; confirm he won’t race the following year but kept an option open for the year after and remain heavily linked to the team as an ambassador/reserve driver. As it happens he decided against that in the end but if McLaren can turn things around I wouldn’t rule out Fernando coming back full time in 2020.

Curious to see what McLaren come up with now. They have said this week that they want experienced drivers to help them out of their funk, where are they going to go for that now? A do-or-die lunge for Kimi alongside Sainz/Vandoorne?
Kubica/Kimi alongside Sainz/Vandoorne/Norris?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Mansell89
Mansell89

A tremendously sad day for racing.

The fanboys and the anoraks will rejoice, particularly those who hold a grudge from 2007. I was one, but in the end I came to realise he was a mighty fine driver whom the sport was poorer for when he wasn’t in the mix.

Just think of the battles we could have had in these past 3 or 4 years. Alonso and Hamilton (which we never really had again since 2007), Alonso and Seb, then of course the fiesty Red Bull duo Dan and Max all going wheel to wheel.

It’s an absolute crying shame, no matter whether you think it was self induced. We just shouldn’t have a Formula whereby the gap between engines has such disparity. In these past years, no amount of driver skill could have made up for the lack of engine performance.

One of his mightiest drives for me has to be his 2nd place for Ferrari at the Hungaroring 2014. Bravely holding off a Merc before Ricciardos overtaking brilliance wrestled the race from him in the dying laps.

F1 has never been about the pure number of titles since it is so dependant on machinery nowadays. Fernando is right up there for me- my ideal team would have been him and Lewis (the complete racer and the lightning quick qualifier).

Sometimes thats how it goes. Wouldn’t it be great if McLaren got themselves sorted and he returned for one last crack at winning races.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

A waste of a gigantic talent. For sure if he felt that there's any prospect of getting up and high again he would stay, even Kimi will probably yet again sign for Ferrari for another 2 years.

zeph
zeph

I stopped following F1 when Schuey/Ferrari were winning everything, the most boring era in the sport ever.

I for one will always be grateful Alonso/Renault ended their reign. Sad to see him leave, but better than seeing him struggle in the back of the field for scraps. While not reflective of his ability, two WDC’s and 39 victories isn’t all that bad.

So long, Fred. F1 won’t be the same without you.

Miha_v
Miha_v

zeph wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 19:12
I stopped following F1 when Schuey/Ferrari were winning everything, the most boring era in the sport ever.

I for one will always be grateful Alonso/Renault ended their reign. Sad to see him leave, but better than seeing him struggle in the back of the field for scraps. While not reflective of his ability, two WDC’s and 39 victories isn’t all that bad.

So long, Fred. F1 won’t be the same without you.
+1, I couldn't say it better myself.

garygph
garygph

zeph wrote:

I never understand these statements on a F1 site which is frequented by serious F1 fans

Miha_v
Miha_v

garygph wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 19:47
zeph wrote:

I never understand these statements on a F1 site which is frequented by serious F1 fans
Watching f1 seriously for over two decades, I completely understand - the predictability and boredom of races in that Era is still unmatched, it was beyond frustrating.

garygph
garygph

Miha_v wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 20:13
garygph wrote:
14 Aug 2018, 19:47
zeph wrote:

Watching f1 seriously for over two decades, I completely understand - the predictability and boredom of races in that Era is still unmatched, it was beyond frustrating.
What I do not understand is that if you have stopped following F1 why are you taking time out of your life commenting on a dedicated F1 forum which is a lot more effort than casually watching it on tv? If you have stopped following it ( which is totally acceptable and obviously your prerogative) why enter an area of discussion filled with people that still love it and follow it with these statements? If you were not following it you would not know enough to comment on the latest events!? Not following it and being less enthusiastic about it recently are two different things. If you are genuinely not following it anymore then do us a favour and do exactly that and we would not have your negative statements here.