Kimi to Sauber and Charles to Ferrari

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Tea

Re: Kimi to Sauber and Charles to Ferrari

FrukostScones wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 11:01
He should be allowed to race for Sauber in a Ferrari suit.
I think the printing on his suit will be important to Sauber. I wonder what it will be?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

garygph
garygph

WaikeCU wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 11:10
garygph wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 11:08
Is there a deal that if Charles struggles Kimi is available to swop back? That way they have an insurance if their gamble on a youngster does not pan out as hoped?

Also will there be an increase in budget etc. with a bigger push for it to be a "works" Alfa Romeo team and Kimi has stated that he enjoys the developing of a car. So being there he has some fun with a growing team and is in the best place if Charles fails during the season.
Sorry, but this isn't Red Bull and there's no Dr. Marko in this picture. :P
:D Agreed!! .... Excepting Ferrari have never taken on a youngster ( in experience) before but Red Bull did and now Ferrari are changing their approach to drivers. :wink:

santos
santos

Kimi to Sauber… i think that it's more for promotional and marketing reasons then any other thing. It's a shame for Fuoco and Antonio Giovinazzi. But they still have Ericsson…

ironrose
ironrose

Schuttelberg wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 10:49
I get what Charles is doing but it's beyond me to understand the motivation behind Kimi's move.
May be Marcus is a better drinking companion compared to Sebastian...

strad

it's beyond me to understand the motivation behind Kimi's move.
Ever consider he is fed up with the B.S. at Ferrari?
They, Ferrari are notorious for their game playing with their drivers.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

marvin78
marvin78

Are they? I think it's an illusion, some driver fans built up to feel better. As a neutral observer, I did not see such things.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

So much for those (part of the F1 media) that are in a position to influence others (their followers) for rushing out declaring in Hungary that Kimi had signed another one year extension.

Jolle
Jolle

The Leclec - Vettel pairing feels a bit like Alesi - Prost.

Could this mean that Vettel will be fired two races before the end of 2019 and replaced by Kimi for 2020 before a few years later they are both switched for Verstappen who will finally make Ferrari WC again? Or is that too much history repeating?

strad

marvin78 wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 20:06
Are they? I think it's an illusion, some driver fans built up to feel better. As a neutral observer, I did not see such things.
Man it's a tradition. All the way back to the old man. Didn't you see the way they played and what they did to Schumacher?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

I still can see a switch between Hamilton and Vettel happening in the future, 2020 or 2021 could be very possible.
Kimi probably will retire in 2021, or in odd fashion, might go to Mclaren if they 'step up their game' by then.

I think Vettel will disappoint Ferrari too much with his flammability and Ferrari will focus on star driver Leclerc.
Vettel isn't the type of guy to take a submissive role a-la Raikkonen so i'm confident it'll be either no more F1 or move to Mercedes.
Hamilton will still be top gun and his experience surely will benefit Ferrari hugely, and the lure of Ferrari surely will be enough, and his departure from Merc would seriously hurt them, and instead, powerhouse Ferrari, whilst Raikkonen will improve AlfaRomeo-Sauber (Ferrari B-team) and another strong driver there would further steal points from the competition, and put the ARS team into a 'blocking team' for the competition aswell to benefit Ferrari during races.

I can see a Hamilton-LeClerc pairing being really powerful from 2020 (or '21) onward, whilst a Vettel-Bottas pairing @ Mercedes or Ocon-Bottas pairing is far less strong.
Verstappen - Gasly isn't as strong a pair as Hamilton-Leclerc either i'd say, especially with Ferrari. Verstappen-Ricciardo would be much better, but that ship has sailed.

Concidering all that, i think Raikkonen to Sauber and Leclerc to Ferrari is brilliant.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

strad

@marvin78 : I assume you've seen the movie Grand Prix. The parts where they show Jean-Pierre Sarti (Yves Montand ) being jerked around by Adolfo Celi as team Ferrari manager are straight out of the Ferrari playbook.
Sir Stirling Moss

marvin78
marvin78

What does that have to do with the current situation? Is this some joke?

Chuckjr

Lewis will never drive for Ferrari. I think the Tifosi would revolt anyway. They have been booing him big time for years. Lewis will retire with Merc. He's not interested in just driving to drive, he only drives to win, so he won't stick around for the simple love of racing like what Kimi is doing. I think Lewis wants to be a rapper or something, so I'm sure he wants to get on with that asap. Just my 2 cents.
Watching F1 since 1986.

iotar__

strad wrote:
11 Sep 2018, 20:01
it's beyond me to understand the motivation behind Kimi's move.
Ever consider he is fed up with the B.S. at Ferrari?
They, Ferrari are notorious for their game playing with their drivers.
What is Raikkonen doing :wtf: ? Nothing, Ferrari fired him (5 years too late) and he was offered a job and money in other team and took it.

Sauber - storage for Ferrari pensioners of a marketing nature. Who is the evil Ferrari B team now, huh?

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

If Kimi races for the entirety of the proposed 2 year deal he will overtake Barrichello as the driver with most race starts.