Why is Ferrari still allowed to have a tobacco sponsorship?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
DiogoBrand

Why is Ferrari still allowed to have a tobacco sponsorship?

After seeing Ferrari's cars with missionwinnow.com on their rear wing, I went ahead and opened the website. The first phrase was "We at Philip Morris International are transforming[...]" and the rest was irrelevant.
I mean, I know that Ferrari never really stopped receiving money from Philip Morris, and there's no real way to stop them if PM agrees to pay for pretty much no advertising at all, but this is a bit different, any casual fan that opens the website will see the links between them.

I have absolutely nothing against tobacco sponsorships, I actually wish they came back because they'd represent a massive amount of money, but either everyone is allowed, or nobody at all. I have nothing against Ferrari as well, but why are they still allowed to do things that nobody else is?

timbo

Re: Why is Ferrari still allowed to have a tobacco sponsorship?

DiogoBrand wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 09:06
I have nothing against Ferrari as well, but why are they still allowed to do things that nobody else is?
I believe you cannot advertise cigarette brands, PM may have different businesses.

Sevach

Nobody else decided to keep paying while being unable to display their brands on the car, somehow Philip Morris decided to keep going.
You'd have to question what kind of special relationship Philip Morris and Ferrari have for them to make this decision.

Consider that Ferrari is now run by a PM man...

darkpino

Sponsorship is so much more than the advertising on the car...

Tzk
Tzk

timbo wrote: I believe you cannot advertise cigarette brands, PM may have different businesses.
This. You may not advertise cigarettes (like marlboro) but this doesnt include a company like philip morris IF they also sell other products or if they advertise non–tobacco products of said company.

DiogoBrand

The funniest thing is that I went even further on my "research". Turns out that Mission Winnow is their 'brand' for their research of ways to "create a smoke free future". So basically they're saying "We're such good guys that we'll invest in research of ways for people to stop smoking, but in the meantime we'll still make billions out of selling tobacco".

I hope other tobacco brands copy this idea, that way we can have tobacco sponsorships back in a cheeky way and massive amounts of money for the teams to invest.

SectorOne

Tzk wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 09:20
timbo wrote: I believe you cannot advertise cigarette brands, PM may have different businesses.
This. You may not advertise cigarettes (like marlboro) but this doesnt include a company like philip morris IF they also sell other products or if they advertise non–tobacco products of said company.
Actually you can advertise cigarettes as much as you want. You just gotta be smart about the things you put on the car.

The SF70 basically has half a Marlboro-pack on the engine cover.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Big Tea

Did not Force India get around an alcohol advert ban (local) by renaming an airline KingFisher, same as the beer, and advertising that ?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

DiogoBrand

SectorOne wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 11:03
Tzk wrote:
Actually you can advertise cigarettes as much as you want. You just gotta be smart about the things you put on the car.

The SF70 basically has half a Marlboro-pack on the engine cover.
The "Mission Winnow" logo is so blatant that they have both Marlboro's "M", as well as the chevron on it.

timbo

DiogoBrand wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 16:25
The "Mission Winnow" logo is so blatant that they have both Marlboro's "M", as well as the chevron on it.
While I agree, I believe, if taken to the court, it would take a hard time to prove the connection. Remember the barcode logos, "Mika" and "David"? It all went through before the cigarette brands were completely forbidden.

bill shoe

DiogoBrand wrote:
After seeing Ferrari's cars with missionwinnow.com on their rear wing, I went ahead and opened the website. The first phrase was "We at Philip Morris International are transforming[...]" and the rest was irrelevant.
Oh, it gets better. It continues "..to build a better future for the 1.1 billion people who smoke...".

"This isn't about a product or a brand..."

So it has something to do with, um, smoking. Or at least smokers. But it's not anything related to any product or brand (i.e. the things that marketing can support). Basically, Phillip Morris wants you to know that they are buying the most expensive add space in human history (the prime space on a Ferrari Formula One car) to market the fact that they spend money on R&D to accomplish an undefined goal for smokers. Got it?

The fact that it has a bunch of red and white M's like Marlboro? No!, No!, No!, that's a coincidence.

DiogoBrand

bill shoe wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 06:50
DiogoBrand wrote:
Oh, it gets better. It continues "..to build a better future for the 1.1 billion people who smoke...".

"This isn't about a product or a brand..."

So it has something to do with, um, smoking. Or at least smokers. But it's not anything related to any product or brand (i.e. the things that marketing can support). Basically, Phillip Morris wants you to know that they are buying the most expensive add space in human history (the prime space on a Ferrari Formula One car) to market the fact that they spend money on R&D to accomplish an undefined goal for smokers. Got it?

The fact that it has a bunch of red and white M's like Marlboro? No!, No!, No!, that's a coincidence.
Pay a few guys to develop some vapor cigarettes, now you can advertise your brand with an M and a chevron, that has nothing to do with Marlboro, on a Formula One car.

Sieper

I believe that is actually illegal (Marlboro vaping adverts). The chevrons on the engine hood are clearly meant to make us think of Marlboro. Just like the previous White scuderia Ferrari logo was a half Marlboro Chevron. I thought they had stopped it but now it certainly is back with a vengeance. Pasted all over the car.

siskue2005

Tzk wrote:
yes correct. It is like saying a stripper cannot have other business, and even if she does other business people will say it is all related to prostitution. :lol:

PlatinumZealot

DiogoBrand wrote:
I mean, I know that Ferrari never really stopped receiving money from Philip Morris, and there's no real way to stop them if PM agrees to pay for pretty much no advertising at all, but this is a bit different, any casual fan that opens the website will see the links between them.

I have absolutely nothing against tobacco sponsorships, I actually wish they came back because they'd represent a massive amount of money, but either everyone is allowed, or nobody at all. I have nothing against Ferrari as well, but why are they still allowed to do things that nobody else is?
It's not even subliminally telling you to smoke cigarettes so it's legal I suppose.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏