What changes should be made to the rules for lapped cars in F1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What changes should be made to the rules for lapped cars in F1?

No more blue flags - lead drivers race lapped drivers, all normal racing rules apply.
25%
No more lapped drivers - as soon as a car is lapped the race is over for them, return to the pits.
3%
Blue flags for lead drivers - if a lapped car is quicker the lead cars are given blue flags and must let the lapped cars through.
9%
No change.
63%

Total votes: 75

Edax
Edax

Re: What changes should be made to the rules for lapped cars in F1?

I don’t think there have to be any changes to the unlapping rules. It is allowed and it should be.

What make this stand out is one the way Ocon tried to unlap himself. The first move was OK but the second move would have led to a penalty in any situation. Yes people take that corner often next to each other. But Ocon having overshot the first corner was behind did not have any workable angle to the apex to make a pass work. Admittedly VER did not see him and steered in to him, but on the other hand he shouldn’t have too look as Ocon never should have been there.

That what the penalty was for, not for unlapping. And I think that is fine. Just apply the same rules to unlapping as for overtaking.

A worrying part I find the statement of Ross Brawn that Ocon did not try to unlap himself to get in a better position to get points but simply to race the leader. If true I find it incomprehensible. It opens the door for people dropping back just to have a shot at racing the leaders. Or for someone to yield for a blue flag just before the detection line and reovertake with DRS. At the same time I see no rule that can cover for this kind of behavior.

In the end I don’t think it is needed. Perhaps this yielded Ves a bruised ego, but the 1.2 million euro’s in bonus money for his second place should provide a decent amount of consolation. Ocon is by far worse of. He already has no seat for next year, and with these kind of incidents a return to F1 becomes highly unlikely. That should provide plenty of warning to others to keep it sane when close to a lead car.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 18:27
Fulcrum wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 17:06

The strategic element of racing would be made more complex (better IMO).
I agree that this would be the case. The strategy would be senior teams using junior teams to block opponents. Imagine TorroRosso blocking Ferrari so that RedBull can get away in front. Or Mercedes asking Williams to block a RedBull, Ferrari asking Haas to block, etc. This wouldn't be better racing but it would definitely be more strategic.
Since when have you observed any of Vettel, Verstappen or Hamilton etc... being significantly detained by 2nd-tier cars when starting from poor grid slots? Evidence suggests the "blocking" would last all of a lap, two at most; basically until the next significant DRS zone.

Big Tea

Fulcrum wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 01:34
Just_a_fan wrote:
Fulcrum wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 17:06

The strategic element of racing would be made more complex (better IMO).
I agree that this would be the case. The strategy would be senior teams using junior teams to block opponents. Imagine TorroRosso blocking Ferrari so that RedBull can get away in front. Or Mercedes asking Williams to block a RedBull, Ferrari asking Haas to block, etc. This wouldn't be better racing but it would definitely be more strategic.
Since when have you observed any of Vettel, Verstappen or Hamilton etc... being significantly detained by 2nd-tier cars when starting from poor grid slots? Evidence suggests the "blocking" would last all of a lap, two at most; basically until the next significant DRS zone.
Obvious blocking would be jumped on and the 'lesser teams' would lose money if their cars were given drive through penalties and soon get fed up of it.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 01:47
Fulcrum wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 01:34
Just_a_fan wrote:

Obvious blocking would be jumped on and the 'lesser teams' would lose money if their cars were given drive through penalties and soon get fed up of it.
So a bit like waved blue flags then... :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

molina
molina

I don't understand why all the thread about the accident.

Rules allow a driver to unlap, but when happens everybody blames on the unlapped driver and denies him the right to fight the position. At the moment when Occon overtakes Max it should be seen as a racing incident for position, and thats all.
No blue flags matter, no rule changes needed.

DiogoBrand

It's better to make no changes than to make a stupid change like the ones suggested on the poll.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Remove blue flags and turn the race into a criterium style race where once you get lapped you get pulled from the race. Bring on the madness.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

DiogoBrand wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 05:54
It's better to make no changes than to make a stupid change like the ones suggested on the poll.
Then vote and leave, no need to insult people. The quality of users on this forum has taken a massive hit in the last few years :roll:

DiogoBrand

Diesel wrote:
16 Nov 2018, 21:29
DiogoBrand wrote:
Then vote and leave, no need to insult people. The quality of users on this forum has taken a massive hit in the last few years :roll:
I don't recall insulting anyone.
I also didn't know I was only allowed to comment if I agreed with you.

marmer
marmer

Diesel wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:
thats strange as you have been reg more than Diogo Brand more posts yet a lower rating as a user

strad

Molina::but when happens everybody blames on the unlapped driver and denies him the right to fight the position.
He WAS NOT fighting for position. He had no business fighting at all.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

DiogoBrand

strad wrote:
17 Nov 2018, 00:19
Molina::but when happens everybody blames on the unlapped driver and denies him the right to fight the position.
He WAS NOT fighting for position. He had no business fighting at all.
Let's exercise our imagination for a moment.
What if, instead of Ocon, Hamilton had an incident of some sort that put him a lap behind the leader, yet he was clearly faster. Do you not think he'd have the right to unlap himself? And do you think Verstappen would be right to go for the apex even though Hamilton would be beside him?
I honestly don't understand why, with Ocon being a lap behind, Verstappen doesn't need to give him a car's width when he's on the inside.

strad

He has a right to unlap himself when he can do so cleanly. He does not have the right to FIGHT with the leader..
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

DiogoBrand

strad wrote:
17 Nov 2018, 05:57
He has a right to unlap himself when he can do so cleanly. He does not have the right to FIGHT with the leader..
It will always be a fight if the car ahead doesn't want the car behind to pass, if a fight took place it was because Verstappen wanted it to take place.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

DiogoBrand wrote:
16 Nov 2018, 23:02
Diesel wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:
I don't recall insulting anyone.
I also didn't know I was only allowed to comment if I agreed with you.
I consider being called "stupid" an insult. I'm more than happy to debate, and if you have an alternative you prefer to the ones provided please do share. Simply coming along saying "this is a stupid poll" isn't very constructive or civil.