F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Sierra117

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Zynerji wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 20:03
Sierra117 wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 19:30
Zynerji wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 18:02
allow their fans to install nodes to donate the cruncher resources of their computers and phones. Then it would mean that popular teams that engage fans would get more iterations than the team that doesn't engage.
As long as we get paid for our component and power usage, that is ...
Why? the entire point is to support your favorite team. You buy hats, shirts, merchandise already. This would be very similar in that you donate a small percentage of computing power. You wouldn't be REQUIRED to participate, so why would you get paid?
Because they are using YOUR components that YOU bought in order to facilitate use for themselves, which results in potential profit and cost-cutting for them. In other words, it's like someone hiring you but they ask you to bring your own computer to work, use your own tools to carry out things and they provide nothing. You can't compare it to merchandise because merch is produced by the team/company themselves (and guess what, the outsourced manufacturers get paid to produce said merch). Plus, by having it paid, one can help introduce a new kind of job or help people get more income on the side.

We already have an example of how having such a "crowdsource" project free is detrimental - Google's ReCaptcha, the abomination of the current Internet. They use your time and energy to do develop their own product that will only generate profit for them. It's slave labour frankly and wastes people's time. I've stopped using Google Search now because during any sort of research where one is searching heavily it begins showing its BS captchas.

Anyway this is getting heavily OT and as others have mentioned, this isn't good overall and mafia-like elements quickly get in. Plus, the popularity or fanbase of a team should not decide who wins. I've always said this - reduce the computers and algorithms to make racing more pure.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

yelistener

Cornering Onboard Comparison 2019 Testing Fastest Lap vs 2018 Pole

2019 wins almost every corner. Slightly slower through turn 9 mostly due to not running full engine power, because Vettel took turn 9 flatout. 2019 has crazy grip.

siskue2005

yelistener wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 08:23
Cornering Onboard Comparison 2019 Testing Fastest Lap vs 2018 Pole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpf-W5-CoYc

2019 wins almost every corner. Slightly slower through turn 9 mostly due to not running full engine power, because Vettel took turn 9 flatout. 2019 has crazy grip.
nice video =D> ....would be worderful if we had Lewi's fastest lap in testing on last day to compare to their 2018 pole lap...would give much better picture

BillS

An onboard from Lewis' fastest lap would also give a minor indication as to how much he was (or wasn't) pushing.
Both Vettel and Leclerc seem like they were going for a stroll, so steady, like being on rails.
I wonder if Hamilton's onboard would reveal something similar.

GPR-A

Sector time comparison between 2018 Q3 Vs 2019 best Test times for Hamilton and Vettel.

NathanOlder

How have Merc found nearly half a second in that final sector ?!!? You can't point it to the tyres, as Vettel didn't find anything like what Lewis found.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan

It kind of begs the question as to why Hamilton was slower elsewhere - either he had the engine turned down compared to Vettel, or Ferrari's PU is now well ahead of the Mercedes PU. Or did Hamilton not use DRS on the straights and Vettel did? No idea about the DRS situation as I haven't seen any video of their respective runs.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

MtthsMlw

Maybe simply tyre related? Hamilton's were in the optimum range and Vettel's were too hot/cold. Or Merc drastically improved their slow speed traction.

Sierra117

MtthsMlw wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 12:22
Maybe simply tyre related? Hamilton's were in the optimum range and Vettel's were too hot/cold. Or Merc drastically improved their slow speed traction.
Most likey the latter (as corroborated by Bottas' statement about how the 2019 car is way better in the slow sections than last year's) with Ferrari maintaining their monstrous pull on the straights. Although it's yet to be seen how each team's max PU power really looks like in the upcoming race(s).
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

djones

Since the rule clarification and implementation of a second sensor on the Ferrari battery pack, there has been no Ferrari power advantage. I don't know why people are so quick to forget the dramatic loss in pace last year for Ferrari when this happened.

The only time after they were better on the straight is when they were running less wing and this shown by the fact they had higher straight, but less corner speed than Mercedes/Redbull.

In terms of the Hamilton S3, I think he was just not pushing as hard in S1 purposefully to save the tyres for the end part of the lap.

One thing I read in a Hamilton interview (about tyres) that stood out to me was he mentioned he was running high fuel loads throughout the test. It was implied this was during all runs (relatively speaking). So if the Mercedes is not actually faster than the Ferrari I bet its damn close. In a good way I mean, so we see a tight battle.

djones

BillS wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 10:36
An onboard from Lewis' fastest lap would also give a minor indication as to how much he was (or wasn't) pushing.
Both Vettel and Leclerc seem like they were going for a stroll, so steady, like being on rails.
I wonder if Hamilton's onboard would reveal something similar.
I completely disagree on the Vettel lap.

Sure the car looked very good, but in terms of him pushing it looked to me like he was trying hard (its easier to see in the video that is just his lap and not a side-by-side). He uses a hell of a lot of curb (and aggressively) for a start.

Polite

djones wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 13:41
Since the rule clarification and implementation of a second sensor on the Ferrari battery pack, there has been no Ferrari power advantage. I don't know why people are so quick to forget the dramatic loss in pace last year for Ferrari when this happened.
Not really: Ferrari won easily the first Gp after the second sensor on the ERS.. also with fia checks during the gp itself.

Ferrari got the loss in pace when they put on the car the new diffuser and the floor.

djones

Polite wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 13:49
djones wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 13:41
Not really: Ferrari won easily the first Gp after the second sensor on the ERS.. also with fia checks during the gp itself.

U are wrong or a lier: Ferrari got the loss in pace when they put on the car the new diffuser and the floor.
Sorry, you are wrong. The dramatic loss in pace I'm referring to was the crazy acceleration they previously had. Other teams commented on them losing this advantage too. The second sensor was the defining moment in the season in my opinion and although overlooked, was equally, if not more important than the Vettel mistakes.

For some strange reason many Ferrari fans like to just blame Vettel for the seasons loss. But I guess they just support the team rather than a specific driver. At least in 2019 they can blame the drivers for the loss when the LEC versus VET situation completely implodes.

LM10

NathanOlder wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 12:02
How have Merc found nearly half a second in that final sector ?!!? You can't point it to the tyres, as Vettel didn't find anything like what Lewis found.
Vettel was 2 tenths faster in S3 in a run prior to his fastest lap.

marvin78

LM10 wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 14:17
NathanOlder wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 12:02
Vettel was 2 tenths faster in S3 in a run prior to his fastest lap.

Yes.He tried different approaches for the best laptime. First he tried a slower first sector and a very fast last sector and afterwards he tried fast first and middle sectors and than he could not hold the speed in the last sector (at least that was what it looked like). The last try was the faster one for him. That's what I got from the timing sheet.