F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
f1jcw

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 23:14
Hamilton is quite open about his distaste for testing. But, like all of the others that would rather be doing other stuff, he turns up and does his bit. I doubt there's a front line F1 driver that likes testing.
Surprised they didn’t give Ocon a run out.

Zynerji

f1jcw wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 00:20
Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 23:14
Hamilton is quite open about his distaste for testing. But, like all of the others that would rather be doing other stuff, he turns up and does his bit. I doubt there's a front line F1 driver that likes testing.
Surprised they didn’t give Ocon a run out.
Would have made Bottas very uncomfortable, for sure.

Mach

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 22:20
nevill3 wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 22:07
Sky sports summary of testing they said they crunched some data regarding the long runs/race sims for Ferrari and Mercedes and Ferrari were about 5 seconds quicker over a full race distance. That says to me that both teams were either evenly matched or running to lap deltas or both. Lets hope they are evenly matched and it will be similar to last year where each teams shines on different weekends/circuits and we have a season long fight between at least four drivers in the two teams. If Red Bull and the others can get involved to take the odd win maybe reliability will decide the championship this year just like 2016.

Here's hoping for a spectaular season that keeps us all on the edge of our seats. All I have taken from this winters testing is that no one has found a silver bullet and the status quo remains. Red Bull's experiment with new engines looks to not have backfired and we have not lost any teams in the off season. All is well in my F1 world
I recall earlier in the week, one of the teams or media, came up with Ferrari's race pace was 5 seconds quicker than Bottas' race pace. But as I said at the time, Bottas is usually 20 seconds behind Lewis, so that sky prediction should say Hamilton 15 seconds ahead of Ferrari :lol:
Hamilton's pre-season 15 seconds ahead of Ferrari :lol: :lol: :lol: =D>

History has shown it's not wise to start believing pre-season test data.

I believe the small sample size of race data up to Baku provide team technical Gurus and drivers to enter Barcelona with ..... adjustments

adjustments to strategic performance
adjustments to tyre performance
adjustments to brake performance
adjustments to pit stop performance
adjustments to aero performance
adjustments to driver pairing performance
adjustments to personnel performance
adjustments to in-season testing performance
adjustments to petroleum product performance
adjustments to tyre performance....yeah!! I'm saying it again :wtf:
adjustments to electrical performance
adjustments to turbo performance
adjustments to engine performance
adjustments to software performance

WHATEVER it takes to gain a tenth of a second.....whatever :|

I also believe Hamilton and Mercedes will repeat as 2019 WDC and WCC 8)

LM10

Why is it so important for teams to especially cover the underside of the car when it's being put on flatbeds? Besides the FW part, there isn't that much to be seen anyway, am I wrong? There are multiple shots of the rear and the diffuser going around already and other than that nothing new to be seen at this spot.

What's more, the photographers being sent out by the opponent teams take pictures, but again, what would they get to see more than we already do on the pictures on the Internet? Pretty much every detail of the cars is on here, for example.

strad

Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 22:51
strad wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 22:47
I think the miles appear to only represent engines suppliers. :wink:
Drivers, teams and engines are all listed separately... :wink:
Nathan said that Racing Point's miles were not listed.
They were because they were lumped in with Mercedes miles just like all the other Mercedes engine runners.
Their drivers laps were there as were their total laps.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Nathanael F1

LM10 wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 03:49

What's more, the photographers being sent out by the opponent teams take pictures, but again, what would they get to see more than we already do on the pictures on the Internet? Pretty much every detail of the cars is on here, for example.
With their own photographers they don't have to wait for other photographers to cull, edit, and upload their photos to the internet.
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

GPR-A

Some comparison on the mid-field teams. There was race sim data available for either Renault or for Haas.

McLaren seems to be very very strong! Looking from lap 37 onwards, they started running in 1m21s, which is serious mid-race pace. No other mid-field team has shown that so far.

While I did not find times for a Renault race sim, looking through various stints from Renault drivers, they seem to be up with McLaren.

Haas seems to be behind these two and then behind are Toro Rosso and Alfa. Needless to say, Williams is the last.

I could not find good representative long run times from RP. So, not sure where they sit.

zibby43

LM10 wrote:
Why is it so important for teams to especially cover the underside of the car when it's being put on flatbeds? Besides the FW part, there isn't that much to be seen anyway, am I wrong? There are multiple shots of the rear and the diffuser going around already and other than that nothing new to be seen at this spot.

The underfloor of a Formula 1 car is arguably one of the most critical pieces of the entire car in terms of aerodynamic performance.

That's the simplest answer to your question.

NathanOlder

strad wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 04:21
Just_a_fan wrote:
strad wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 22:47
I think the miles appear to only represent engines suppliers. :wink:
They were because they were lumped in with Mercedes miles just like all the other Mercedes engine runners.
Sorry for the confusion, what I meant was lack of miles as in , they didnt do as many laps as I thought they would. Does anyone know why this was ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

mika vs michael

Hamilton matching the Vettel time and being a bit slower in speed trapes means that at least Mercedes is equal with Ferrari...ok maybe Mercedes could be a couple tenths behind an Hamilton performing a mega lap covers that 0.2 sec distance but...
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

Ground Effect

NathanOlder wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 09:57
strad wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 04:21
Just_a_fan wrote:

Sorry for the confusion, what I meant was lack of miles as in , they didnt do as many laps as I thought they would. Does anyone know why this was ?
I heard lack of parts/spares and essentially, the car they tested with is far from what they'll bring to Melbourne. It was mentioned that they will have by a considerable measure, the most changed car for race 1.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

GPR-A

mika vs michael wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 10:28
Hamilton matching the Vettel time and being a bit slower in speed trapes means that at least Mercedes is equal with Ferrari...ok maybe Mercedes could be a couple tenths behind an Hamilton performing a mega lap covers that 0.2 sec distance but...
Hamilton's advantage was on 3rd sector, where he was 2 tenths faster over Vettel, while being slower in both S1 and S2. Last year, after having clearly understood the lack of slow corner performance at Spa, they applied some fixes that enabled them to win on a circuit like Marina Bay and that performance carried over to Suzuka (particularly last chicane) and it was obvious in COTA (last corner) too.

Bottas seems to believe the current car is better than last year's car on slow corners.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14180 ... est-window
"I really feel there are areas the car has made good steps forward, in slow-speed corners the car feels better than last year, but in other areas there is still work to do."

LM10

zibby43 wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 09:21
LM10 wrote:

The underfloor of a Formula 1 car is arguably one of the most critical pieces of the entire car in terms of aerodynamic performance.

That's the simplest answer to your question.
But without looking at the underside of a car you already see everything other than the middle part of the floor. Could someone explain me what’s so critical about the middle section of a floor? Because it looks relatively simple designed.

ferkan

GPR -A wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 08:36
https://i.screenshot.net/5w95yt7

Some comparison on the mid-field teams. There was race sim data available for either Renault or for Haas.

McLaren seems to be very very strong! Looking from lap 37 onwards, they started running in 1m21s, which is serious mid-race pace. No other mid-field team has shown that so far.

While I did not find times for a Renault race sim, looking through various stints from Renault drivers, they seem to be up with McLaren.

Haas seems to be behind these two and then behind are Toro Rosso and Alfa. Needless to say, Williams is the last.

I could not find good representative long run times from RP. So, not sure where they sit.
Do note that McL was on 3 stopper.

CriXus

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw