F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Mangalhit

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

djones wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 13:49
BillS wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 10:36
An onboard from Lewis' fastest lap would also give a minor indication as to how much he was (or wasn't) pushing.
Both Vettel and Leclerc seem like they were going for a stroll, so steady, like being on rails.
I wonder if Hamilton's onboard would reveal something similar.
I completely disagree on the Vettel lap.

Sure the car looked very good, but in terms of him pushing it looked to me like he was trying hard (its easier to see in the video that is just his lap and not a side-by-side). He uses a hell of a lot of curb (and aggressively) for a start.
That lap is a C5 1m16,221s. The car did 1m17.253s and 1m16,720s on C2 and C3 tyres. Since everybody has a massive deltas from C3-C5 and C2-C5 I doubt that was a balls to the wall lap. Plenty of time to get.

GPR-A

NathanOlder wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 12:02
How have Merc found nearly half a second in that final sector ?!!? You can't point it to the tyres, as Vettel didn't find anything like what Lewis found.
Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 12:17
It kind of begs the question as to why Hamilton was slower elsewhere - either he had the engine turned down compared to Vettel, or Ferrari's PU is now well ahead of the Mercedes PU. Or did Hamilton not use DRS on the straights and Vettel did? No idea about the DRS situation as I haven't seen any video of their respective runs.
MtthsMlw wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 12:22
Maybe simply tyre related? Hamilton's were in the optimum range and Vettel's were too hot/cold. Or Merc drastically improved their slow speed traction.
That is more likely the answer. Starting Singapore, which contains loads of slow corners where traction is extremely critical to gain lap time, Mercedes have excelled and it was obvious in Suzuka (last chicane) and Austin (Last corner). S3 in Barcleona contains turn 10, 13, 14 and 15 which are all slow corners and even if they had carried forward the mechanical grip from last year, then that is good enough for such a lap time.

After the 3rd day of second test, Bottas pointed out the difference in slow corner performance.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14180 ... est-window
"I really feel there are areas the car has made good steps forward, in slow-speed corners the car feels better than last year, but in other areas there is still work to do."
They only had 3 days of learning of the new spec car, when they did a race sim and then the quali sim, compared to other cars that made the debut 12 to 13 days back in relation. With such short interval, there is relatively less learning about tyres and mechanical behavior of the car. In that interval, they also faced an oil pressure issue for the car that curtailed the running.

Ground Effect

Big Mangalhit wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 14:29
djones wrote:
BillS wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 10:36
An onboard from Lewis' fastest lap would also give a minor indication as to how much he was (or wasn't) pushing.
Both Vettel and Leclerc seem like they were going for a stroll, so steady, like being on rails.
I wonder if Hamilton's onboard would reveal something similar.

Sure the car looked very good, but in terms of him pushing it looked to me like he was trying hard (its easier to see in the video that is just his lap and not a side-by-side). He uses a hell of a lot of curb (and aggressively) for a start.
That lap is a C5 1m16,221s. The car did 1m17.253s and 1m16,720s on C2 and C3 tyres. Since everybody has a massive deltas from C3-C5 and C2-C5 I doubt that was a balls to the wall lap. Plenty of time to get.
From what the reports I've seen, the fastest time on the C2 tyre was a 1:18:097, set by Lewis
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

LM10

Ground Effect wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 15:12
Big Mangalhit wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 14:29
djones wrote:

From what the reports I've seen, the fastest time on the C2 tyre was a 1:18:097, set by Lewis
Leclerc did a 1:17.2 on C2.

digitalrurouni

Well from the testing I have come to a conclusion that this year's cars are quicker than last year's cars despite the aero changes. Now all that remains to be seen is the cars can actually follow each other during a race!

GPR-A

LM10 wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 15:17
One hot lap, followed by a cool down lap and then box. This was the start of quali sims on 7th day for Ferrari. That doesn't mean he was on fumes.

Lewis did the 1m18.087 on a stint, on the same day.

LM10

GPR -A wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 15:57
LM10 wrote:
One hot lap, followed by a cool down lap and then box. This was the start of quali sims on 7th day for Ferrari. That doesn't mean he was on fumes.

https://i.screenshot.net/568v7fd

https://i.screenshot.net/jmdy0cz
Fuel corrected, Leclerc’s time was still faster. But that was not my point anyway. :) I just corrected Ground Effect because Lewis’ time was not the fastest on C2 as he thought.

Ground Effect

LM10 wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 16:06
GPR -A wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 15:57
LM10 wrote:

https://i.screenshot.net/568v7fd

https://i.screenshot.net/jmdy0cz
Fuel corrected, Leclerc’s time was still faster. But that was not my point anyway. :) I just corrected Ground Effect because Lewis’ time was not the fastest on C2 as he thought.
Thanks for the correction, Sky listed Lewis's time as the fastest on C2 for the winter tests. Hot lap or not, LeClerc's lap was still the fastest on the C2 and should have been recorded as such.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Zynerji

Sierra117 wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 07:12
Zynerji wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 20:03
Sierra117 wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 19:30

As long as we get paid for our component and power usage, that is ...
Why? the entire point is to support your favorite team. You buy hats, shirts, merchandise already. This would be very similar in that you donate a small percentage of computing power. You wouldn't be REQUIRED to participate, so why would you get paid?
Because they are using YOUR components that YOU bought in order to facilitate use for themselves, which results in potential profit and cost-cutting for them. In other words, it's like someone hiring you but they ask you to bring your own computer to work, use your own tools to carry out things and they provide nothing. You can't compare it to merchandise because merch is produced by the team/company themselves (and guess what, the outsourced manufacturers get paid to produce said merch). Plus, by having it paid, one can help introduce a new kind of job or help people get more income on the side.

We already have an example of how having such a "crowdsource" project free is detrimental - Google's ReCaptcha, the abomination of the current Internet. They use your time and energy to do develop their own product that will only generate profit for them. It's slave labour frankly and wastes people's time. I've stopped using Google Search now because during any sort of research where one is searching heavily it begins showing its BS captchas.

Anyway this is getting heavily OT and as others have mentioned, this isn't good overall and mafia-like elements quickly get in. Plus, the popularity or fanbase of a team should not decide who wins. I've always said this - reduce the computers and algorithms to make racing more pure.
I agree that this is now severely off topic, and that you are woefully underprepared to understand the concept. I will refrain from any further comments about this revolution.

Just_a_fan

LM10 wrote:
Fuel corrected, Leclerc’s time was still faster.
How much fuel was each of them carrying?

Also, doing the time during a stint means the tyre is not as grippy as it is if one is on a new one straight out of the pits.

Not sure how anyone can meaningfully compare the two times at this stage.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Polite

djones wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 13:57
Polite wrote:
djones wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 13:41
Since the rule clarification and implementation of a second sensor on the Ferrari battery pack, there has been no Ferrari power advantage. I don't know why people are so quick to forget the dramatic loss in pace last year for Ferrari when this happened.
Not really: Ferrari won easily the first Gp after the second sensor on the ERS.. also with fia checks during the gp itself.

Ferrari got the loss in pace when they put on the car the new diffuser and the floor.
Sorry, you are wrong. The dramatic loss in pace I'm referring to was the crazy acceleration they previously had. Other teams commented on them losing this advantage too. The second sensor was the defining moment in the season in my opinion and although overlooked, was equally, if not more important than the Vettel mistakes.
Not really. U are wrong: Ferrari won the Canadian Gp with the 2nd sensors and with FIA checking the ERS during the race. After that Ferrari won in SPA where everyone blame for the acceration .. so?

Yes, im a Ferrari fan so i can only blame Vettel.. ofc! Bwoah!

The real fact is that when Ferrari upgraded the floor and other stuff, they lost the rear grip in acceleration... so they got to tune down the ers exiting the corners.

SiLo

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 16:41
LM10 wrote:

Also, doing the time during a stint means the tyre is not as grippy as it is if one is on a new one straight out of the pits.

Nobody knows. Traditionally Mercedes have run with the most fuel out of all the teams for almost all their runs bar race sims.
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan

SiLo wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 18:01
Just_a_fan wrote:
LM10 wrote:

Nobody knows.
That's my point. LM10 claims "fuel corrected" but likely has no data on the amount of fuel the cars were each carrying at the time. Leclerc's time might have been on nearly empty tanks (it's a good lap) or with a half full tank in which case it's a very good lap.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

LM10

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 18:07
SiLo wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 18:01
Just_a_fan wrote:

Nobody knows.
That's my point. LM10 claims "fuel corrected" but likely has no data on the amount of fuel the cars were each carrying at the time. Leclerc's time might have been on nearly empty tanks (it's a good lap) or with a half full tank in which case it's a very good lap.
I just claimed it because GPR-A seemed to have claimed it too when he showed me the stints. :) I very well know that nobody of us knows fuel levels that were used. Again, I just corrected a user because he was misinformed. I didn't have the intention to compare the lap times whatsoever.

Big Mangalhit

digitalrurouni wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 15:20
Well from the testing I have come to a conclusion that this year's cars are quicker than last year's cars despite the aero changes. Now all that remains to be seen is the cars can actually follow each other during a race!
I actually think they might be slower. let's see if they break last year poles' times.