2019 pre season launches, testing, dates, discussion, banter.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
LM10
LM10

Re: 2019 pre season launches, testing, dates, discussion, banter.

Capharol wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 18:23
ME4ME wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 18:08
Capharol wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 17:53
maybe this article helpd you understand it better

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/tech ... s-limited/
F1 2014: Why fuel flow is limited
That's not what we're talking about.
you wrote the fuel limit is pointless and that it is beyond you why.... so i gave you the article on the why.
so in that way we talked about the why :roll:

tbh I, myself don't understand te article because its to technical for me, i thought it might help you
Fuel limit is not the same thing as fuel flow rate.

Capharol
Capharol

that i agree LM10 but ME4ME said he didn't understood why there was a fuel limit and not fuel flow, so mistake wasn't mine but his ....and there is an explanation about why they introduced fuel flow, if this is a good or bad thing is up to every person itself ....... but that subject is to technical for me, so i better stop writing 😁

GPR-A

Capharol wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 18:57
that i agree LM10 but ME4ME said he didn't understood why there was a fuel limit and not fuel flow, so mistake wasn't mine but his ....and there is an explanation about why they introduced fuel flow, if this is a good or bad thing is up to every person itself ....... but that subject is to technical for me, so i better stop writing 😁
You completely missed what ME4ME was conveying. Seems like he understands the regulations around fuel flow rate. It's your mistake.

When there is fuel flow rate limited at 100kg/hr @ 10500 RPM, then whether you carry 105 or 110 or 200 kilos of fuel, it doesn't matter.
ME4ME wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 17:39
Why there is a fuel limit is beyond me since 2014. It makes no difference what so ever in the majority of races where teams are not fuel limited. However it has an negative impact on racing in the minority of races where teams are limited and are forced to save fuel rather than go into racing another car.

They migtht as well get rid of the limit all together.

Capharol
Capharol

GPR -A wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 19:03
Capharol wrote:
You completely missed what ME4ME was conveying. Seems like he understands the regulations around fuel flow rate. It's your mistake.

When there is fuel flow rate limited at 100kg/hr @ 10500 RPM, then whether you carry 105 or 110 or 200 kilos of fuel, it doesn't matter.
ME4ME wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 17:39
Why there is a fuel limit is beyond me since 2014. It makes no difference what so ever in the majority of races where teams are not fuel limited. However it has an negative impact on racing in the minority of races where teams are limited and are forced to save fuel rather than go into racing another car.

They migtht as well get rid of the limit all together.
as said i stop interferring in this discussion, 1. it's getting to technical (I'm just a regular F1 fan) 2. English ain't my native language, but when it says fuel limit and not fuel FLOW limit, i guess there isn't much to be misunderstood, but well it happened, end of the discussion from my side

Juzh

GPR -A wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 15:37
Juzh wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 15:01
So no, in fact the fia wasn't fooled at all, what they did with this very simple rule change is they curbed mercedes/ferrari advantage of the fuel front. In theory.
In essence, change the rules to favor those who didn't do as good a job as the others. That is what Otmar is complaining.

But the question is, how is the increase in fuel limit is going to help?
The less lift and coast required, the less weaker engines will suffer. Logical, no?

If a race is borderline on the fuel, say merc/ferrari can do it on 106 kg without lift and caost, and honda/renault can do it on 110 kg, then you can be sure both weaker engines will NOT go for 106 kg, they will both go for higher fuel capacity in order to avoid doing L&C. Qualifying basically confirms this, no one is doing LC there are they? Weight penatly is more than offset by being able to go faster more of the time.

This ofcourse is assuming all things being equal and teams not gambling on some weird fuel strategy (merc malaysia 2013, vettel malaysia 2017 from the back of the grid).

Juzh

Big Tea wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 16:25
Juzh wrote:
GPR -A wrote:
19 Jan 2019, 15:41
No idea why FIA increased the fuel allowance as some teams weren't even carrying the allowed 105 kg.
F1 bosses 'fooled' by teams to increase fuel limit - Szafnauer
Otmar's statement here 100% confirms some engines had a big enough of an advantage for him to literally go out of his way saying the fia were fooled, in this case probably by a RB/honda/renault unholy alliance. If it made no difference whatsoever no one would care or talk about it, yet here we have a team principal of a team with a mercedes engine in their car crying out how their competitive advantage will get eroded somewhat with the extra fuel allowance.

So no, in fact the fia wasn't fooled at all, what they did with this very simple rule change is they curbed mercedes/ferrari advantage of the fuel front. In theory.
What they effectively did was to convert it to a weight advantage (at some tracks)
Which is better for weaker engines for the reasons mentioned above.

dans79

Juzh wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 19:20
GPR -A wrote:
20 Jan 2019, 15:37
Juzh wrote:
In essence, change the rules to favor those who didn't do as good a job as the others. That is what Otmar is complaining.

But the question is, how is the increase in fuel limit is going to help?
The less lift and coast required, the less weaker engines will suffer. Logical, no?

If a race is borderline on the fuel, say merc/ferrari can do it on 106 kg without lift and caost, and honda/renault can do it on 110 kg, then you can be sure both weaker engines will NOT go for 106 kg, they will both go for higher fuel capacity in order to avoid doing L&C. Qualifying basically confirms this, no one is doing LC there are they? Weight penatly is more than offset by being able to go faster more of the time.

This ofcourse is assuming all things being equal and teams not gambling on some weird fuel strategy (merc malaysia 2013, vettel malaysia 2017 from the back of the grid).
If a team is already under the fuel limit and not lifting and coasting it would not surprise me if they don't change the engine maps and gearing so that they can get more performance.
197 104 103 7

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Capharol wrote:
Why is it always the people who have the least understanding shout the most? Nothing in the article you linked has anything to do with the fuel limit.

Capharol
Capharol

Cold Fussion wrote:
21 Jan 2019, 09:08
Capharol wrote:
Why is it always the people who have the least understanding shout the most? Nothing in the article you linked has anything to do with the fuel limit.
I could answer that but I am not going to.... have a nice day :wink:

danielk
danielk

apparently sky will be providing live televised coverage of the winter test this year! YAY!

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... -on-sky-f1

bauc

danielk wrote:
21 Jan 2019, 13:34
apparently sky will be providing live televised coverage of the winter test this year! YAY!

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... -on-sky-f1
Amen for that!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

NathanOlder

They are showing live all the afternoon sesessions. From 1pm to 5pm. With a one hour show after its finished each day. So far its only confirmed for the first test 18th - 21st Feb. Sky Go on my tablet at work. SUPER!!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

bauc

NathanOlder wrote:
21 Jan 2019, 14:41
They are showing live all the afternoon sesessions. From 1pm to 5pm. With a one hour show after its finished each day. So far its only confirmed for the first test 18th - 21st Feb. Sky Go on my tablet at work. SUPER!!
Its a smart move to cover the afternoon sessions. In the mornings the track is cold and most of the teams just do a test run and get back to the pits, more meaningful running is done in the afternoon so this might actually be a great broadcast by SkyF1. I just pray we don't see the snow again on the first days of testing following a flood on day 3
Last edited by bauc on 21 Jan 2019, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

LM10
LM10

bauc wrote:
21 Jan 2019, 15:06
NathanOlder wrote:
Its a smart move the cover the afternoon sessions. In the mornings the track is cold and most of the teams just do a test run and get back to the pits, more meaningful running is done in the afternoon so this might actually be a great broadcast by SkyF1. I just pray we don't see the snow again on the first days of testing following a flood on day 3
Plus, many people wouldn't really be able to watch the morning tests during week anyway because of work/study.

bauc

LM10 wrote:
21 Jan 2019, 15:18
bauc wrote:
21 Jan 2019, 15:06
NathanOlder wrote:
Its a smart move to cover the afternoon sessions. In the mornings the track is cold and most of the teams just do a test run and get back to the pits, more meaningful running is done in the afternoon so this might actually be a great broadcast by SkyF1. I just pray we don't see the snow again on the first days of testing following a flood on day 3
Plus, many people wouldn't really be able to watch the morning tests during week anyway because of work/study.
Yeah that one too, I'm really looking forward to this, hopefully it will become a standard in the following years