Tobacco Sponsorship Back In F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FrukostScones

Re: Tobacco Sponsorship Back In F1

adrianjordan wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 12:15
V12-POWER wrote:
17 Feb 2019, 19:16
I see some strong snowflakery going on here.

With the fitness industry on its peak, healthy habits being pushed more than ever, anti-smoking-in-public rules almost everywhere, why care so much about tobacco advertising?

People who don’t smoke will not start smoking because “Ferrari has marlboro, Lotus has JPS, Renault has Mild Seven, etc”

Don’t forget the glamour F1 had and that the best drivers raced on it when tobacco advertising was present.

Maybe you should reconsider if F1 is the sport for yall. So much concern for everything it has become a joke of sport. Specially when it comes to the sponsorship side of things.

First the grid girls, the “green” engines, the halo, the parking lot tracks, etc.

It’s hard to say “F1 was better back then” because “Muh take your nostalgia glasses off” yet I can watch a 2005 race and enjoy it way more than current races.

As a karting driver nothing motivates me more than climbing the ladder of motorsports. But I see F1 as an event has become so dull it’s crazy, for sure these cars are good in their way and it’s still the pinnacle of motorsports. But as an spectator I get much more “joy” when watching older races when we had tobacco advertising.
This!!

I was a teenager and massively into Formula 1 at the time when Tobacco sponsorship was everywhere. I wore West branded Mclaren teamwear and doodled Malboro branded Mclaren cars and Camel Williams cars all the time.

Yet I never even tried smoking.

People need to take responsibility for their own actions.

Smoking in public should be banned, as should smoking around children even in the home. But if we're not banning alcohol, then what right do we have to ban tobacco if people choose to use it within their own home and in line with regulations.

More to the point, the people who are going to see a Ferrari F1 car and go, I wonder what Mission Winnow is, Google it and read the website are probably intelligent enough to make up their own mind about whether or not to smoke.
people are not able to take redsonsibility for their own actions, that is what is quite clear, and this is why civilized countries need regulations that protect their citiziens from their own weaknesses.
humans are herd animals and will do what the others will do (as they did in the 60ies when everyone smoked).
Tobacco Industry is downright villainous, worst lobbyist and cheating industry. Prob worst than big oil.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Jolle
Jolle

People in general are very seceptable for marketing. 9 times out of 10 advertisement means you're getting lured into a bad deal.

A few fun observations: car advertisement; every add for a car is telling me what it isn't. Opel/Vauxhauls are telling me they are exiting, Mercedes is selling them as affordable, Kia as individual and exciting.... etc etc, very fun to watch!

Movies: when the actors of a movie are doing all of the talkshows and there are lot's of adds: the movie is terrible....

Good products hardly need adverts.

adrianjordan

Jolle wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 12:28
That explains why I see so many adverts for the iPhone then :lol:
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Jolle
Jolle

adrianjordan wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 13:06
Jolle wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 12:28
That explains why I see so many adverts for the iPhone then :lol:
I know you said it with a wink, but Apple is a very cleaver cookie! their marketing budget is relative small (compared to Samsung and for instance Microsoft) and their marketing percentage of sales is unexpected low (around 1%). Lot's of their advertisement is free for them! At least in The Netherlands and a lot in the UK most of the adds are from carriers, using the iPhone to lure new customers in ("now the new iPhone of the countries fastest network", etc etc).

strad

Ever occur to you that they use the same advertising techniques to convince you that this or that is bad/evil?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss