Poll: Reasons why Merc might not win in 2019

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Multiple selections can be made:

Merc personnel changes (if so: who?)
4%
Fatigue
4%
Bad luck/odds
8%
Competitor PU performance
13%
Competitor car performance
44%
Competitor team/organizational performance
6%
Competitor new drivers (if so: who?)
7%
Competitor personnel changes (if so: who?)
2%
Regulations change effects (if so: which ones?)
12%

Total votes: 108

munudeges

Re: Poll: Reasons why Merc might not win in 2019

SmallSoldier wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 01:20
Luckily, I don’t base my opinions on some loosely called “journalists” or “experts” (the same ones that placed Mclaren at the bottom of the grid with Williams and that seem to be very well in the midfield fight).
You can put Ferrari themselves in that bracket, because they got comfortable in what they believed was a comfortable pace advantage, or at least, they though they knew where they were. They've had a bit of a shock today.

My point, in case I didn’t express myself properly is that last year, the gap between Mercedes and Ferrari was exactly the same at this point in the season...
.....and? That's not where they need to be, and certainly not where they expected to be after testing that's for sure. The point here is that a team that is a long way behind at the first race just doesn't win the championship. The facts of many previous championships, as inconvenient as they are, bear that out.

Nevertheless, Ferrari for the most part was on an equal fight with Mercedes for most of the season, to the point that they had an actual chance of winning both Championships.....
I'm afraid they never were on a par on pace at all, mistakes or no mistakes. They fell away even further during the second half of last season. Alas, you're believing too much of that hype about a 'championship battle'.

.....which compounded with what is a rumored lack of reliability from the Ferrari engine which is preventing them from going all out explains the gap we saw during Qualifying...
For someone who says he doesn't believe rumours from journalists you sure do believe a lot of silly ones. Put out by Ferrari's press officer no doubt.

But there are still 20 more races to go after this one and I’m sure they will fix whatever issue is they are having... Like I said, it’s absurd to write off the season at this point in time.
If you're a long way off performance-wise at the first race history tells us you have immense difficulty making that back. This isn't just a couple of tenths we're talking about. In the vast majority of seasons the team who has that advantage at the first race wins the championship. It's pretty simple. You just can't be that far behind in performance.

SmallSoldier

munudeges wrote: You can put Ferrari themselves in that bracket, because they got comfortable in what they believed was a comfortable pace advantage, or at least, they though they knew where they were. They've had a bit of a shock today.
Actually, even Mercedes seemed to be pretty shocked with the difference.

.....and? That's not where they need to be, and certainly not where they expected to be after testing that's for sure. The point here is that a team that is a long way behind at the first race just doesn't win the championship. The facts of many previous championships, as inconvenient as they are, bear that out.
I don’t think they really thought they were as ahead of Mercedes as some called them to be, at least I didn’t think they had such a big gap just based on testing performance... Probably the biggest difference (and I’m afraid that we will never agree on this point) is that I don’t believe that the gap in Melbourne is representative of what we could expect the rest of the season... If you are referring to previous championships for Mercedes, it wasn’t only their performance gap in Melbourne, they had that gap at every circuit and last year for example, it wasn’t the case.

I'm afraid they never were on a par on pace at all, mistakes or no mistakes. They fell away even further during the second half of last season. Alas, you're believing too much of that hype about a 'championship battle'.
We may have watched a different championship last year... But up to the middle of the season, Vettel was leading the Championship and Ferrari was in the fight for it... Did Mercedes out develop them in the second half? Most probably, although I believe their mistakes were more conducive to Mercedes running away than lack of pace... They outpaced Mercedes in several races in the second half also.

In the first half Ferrari got pole position (after been spanked in Melbourne like this year) in Bahrain, China and Baku, then they outqualified Mercedes in Monaco... Another pole in Canada... Were separated by 4 thousands of a second in Silverstone were they got P2, but got pole in Germany... Spa was an interesting race where the rain played a big role and not the pace of the cars, pole in Monza... Another race in which they lost pole by 6 thousands of a second in the US GP (which Ferrari won), 8 thousands of a second difference in Mexico and 8 thousands of a second in Brazil... I don’t know how you can take a look at last season and imply that Mercedes “dominated” that Championship... If anything, it was really close... They had 7 poles and at least 4 races in which they were in within less than a tenth from Mercedes... That for me is a championship battle.

For someone who says he doesn't believe rumours from journalists you sure do believe a lot of silly ones. Put out by Ferrari's press officer no doubt.
And that’s why I made sure that I said that it was a “rumor”.

If you're a long way off performance-wise at the first race history tells us you have immense difficulty making that back. This isn't just a couple of tenths we're talking about. In the vast majority of seasons the team who has that advantage at the first race wins the championship. It's pretty simple. You just can't be that far behind in performance.
I believe that beyond 2018, the previous championships were way too one sided towards Mercedes, so for me that isn’t a reference... If 2018 is any indication... We could be in for another fight this year, last year showed that you can have the deficit we saw in qualifying yesterday and still have potential for competitive championship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

munudeges

Seriously, just close this thread. :lol:

Jozsusz

I reckon Merc can even win all of the races finally.

skoop

So, who's gonna open the "Reasons why Merc might win in 2019" thread?

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

munudeges

Autosport are now desperately trying to make some excuses as to why they got this completely wrong. :lol:

GPR-A

munudeges wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 02:07
Autosport are now desperately trying to make some excuses as to why they got this completely wrong. :lol:
If they really need to regain the lost respect, they should first fire those high school kids who they have hired as EXPERTS and let go Gary Anderson who has lost perspective of building and racing modern F1 cars. They should bring people who are not just qualified with a good academic credentials, but also have some hands on experience of racing cars, preferably F1 itself. Being an Autosport Plus subscriber, I have dropped an email to their editorial staff, but I am not too optimistic about it. Until they realize and fix it, we need to put up this foot-in-mouth reporting from Autosport/Motorsport guys.

roon

munudeges wrote:
17 Mar 2019, 13:56
Seriously, just close this thread. :lol:
skoop wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 13:42
So, who's gonna open the "Reasons why Merc might win in 2019" thread?

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Was always a devil's advocate thread. In the 2019 performance speculation thread I have Merc as WCC.

roon wrote:
23 Feb 2019, 23:27
This team and their drivers won the WDC and the WCC the previous five seasons. They have perhaps the largest budget and staff. So why won't they take a sixth?

Cannonballer

GPR -A wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 08:35
munudeges wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 02:07
If they really need to regain the lost respect, they should first fire those high school kids who they have hired as EXPERTS and let go Gary Anderson who has lost perspective of building and racing modern F1 cars. They should bring people who are not just qualified with a good academic credentials, but also have some hands on experience of racing cars, preferably F1 itself. Being an Autosport Plus subscriber, I have dropped an email to their editorial staff, but I am not too optimistic about it. Until they realize and fix it, we need to put up this foot-in-mouth reporting from Autosport/Motorsport guys.
+1.
Wazari wrote: There's a saying in Japan, He might be higher than testicles on a giraffe...........