1 point to be given to the fastest lap starting in AUS

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Hamerhaai

Re: 1 point to be given to the fastest lap starting in AUS

Funny tactics. So if the fastest race lap was set by a driver outside top 10 no point is given.

- If the top teams want it, they probably need new tires in the end, which can usually only been done by the guy on p6 with a margin to p7. The points for the number 6 is with the extra point the same as p5.
- If Vettel has it, and a driver from Mercedes or RB (assume they are top 3 dominating again) is outside top10 they can steel the point from Vettel/Ferrari, by making the point vanish.
- Other teams, of basically anyone outside P10 can steel the point whenever they want. Which they should always be doing? Since no one gets it and top10 isn’t getting another 21 points margin throughout a year agains >top10.

BwajSF

1 point for each race.. 21 points in the season.. almost equal to a race win (25 points).. the top teams fighting for the championship will make sure that they get every single point.. so the rule looks more like a aid to top teams again with the pace advantage they have got.

marvin78

Nathanael F1 wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 04:59
zeph wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 02:47
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 18rsY.html

Massa WDC 2008.
After all these years I still feel sorry for Massa.
You know that IF there were given points for fastes lap, all people possibly would have done different things in certain races? This calculation is BS.

adrianjordan

The only thing I don't like about it is that it is only from the Top 10.

Make it open to the whole grid and you could get some interesting moves from lower grid position cars.

Imagine Alonso these last few years... He'd have been banging in fastest lap attempts every race.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Just_a_fan

BwajSF wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 07:26
1 point for each race.. 21 points in the season.. almost equal to a race win (25 points).. the top teams fighting for the championship will make sure that they get every single point.. so the rule looks more like a aid to top teams again with the pace advantage they have got.
I disagree. It's more important to secure good positions and avoid DNFs or mechanical failures. Turning the PU up to max for several laps more than would normally be done, increases the risk of a PU component failure and then grid penalties. If you're running a safe second in a race, the risk of a failure or a crash caused by trying for the FL point in competition with others, outweighs the gain you get from that one point. Lose second place and you lose 18 points. You'd then need to get 18 fastest laps in the season just to get back to where you were.

I don't think the big three will make specific plays for the FL point. If they get it at a given race, then fine, but it will more likely be attacked by those running in 8, 9 and 10 who have less to lose anyway.

Having said that, I can see Vettel and Verstappen trying for the FL point each race. Vettel has shown over the years how much he likes to have the fastest lap, and Max is a little headstrong and liable to go for it irrespective of the team's wishes.

I'd be amazed if the FL points determine the title. They will possibly determine the rankings immediately below the top two though. Last year, for example, Bottas would have finished the year in third rather than fifth as he had something like 7 fastest laps.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

RZS10

They should have made it free for all and changed the point scoreing system to 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-3-2, making P10 still more valuable than scoring a point outside of the top10

AJI
AJI

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 15:37

I don't think the big three will make specific plays for the FL point...
...I can see Vettel and Verstappen trying for the FL point each race. Vettel has shown over the years how much he likes to have the fastest lap, and Max is a little headstrong and liable to go for it irrespective of the team's wishes.
I don't think HAM's ego should be excluded from this list...
Scenario: HAM is 'out of position', i.e. not in P1, he'll go for it.
Then you have the ego of the top 3 B drivers to consider. If they can't prove the point by track position then by FL..?

Just_a_fan

AJI wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 23:24

Back in the day, maybe, but the last couple of seasons he has really been playing the season-long game very maturely.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AJI
AJI

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 01:44
AJI wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 23:24

Back in the day, maybe, but the last couple of seasons he has really been playing the season-long game very maturely.
True, he's matured quite well, but he wouldn't be a winner if he wasn't a proper racer, and he's still quite emotional when it doesn't go to plan (which, for HAM, is winning every single race...)
Also, of all the PU manufacturers that can take the glory run chance it's Mercedes!

BwajSF

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 15:37
BwajSF wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 07:26
I disagree. It's more important to secure good positions and avoid DNFs or mechanical failures. Turning the PU up to max for several laps more than would normally be done, increases the risk of a PU component failure and then grid penalties. If you're running a safe second in a race, the risk of a failure or a crash caused by trying for the FL point in competition with others, outweighs the gain you get from that one point. Lose second place and you lose 18 points. You'd then need to get 18 fastest laps in the season just to get back to where you were.

I don't think the big three will make specific plays for the FL point. If they get it at a given race, then fine, but it will more likely be attacked by those running in 8, 9 and 10 who have less to lose anyway.

Having said that, I can see Vettel and Verstappen trying for the FL point each race. Vettel has shown over the years how much he likes to have the fastest lap, and Max is a little headstrong and liable to go for it irrespective of the team's wishes.

I'd be amazed if the FL points determine the title. They will possibly determine the rankings immediately below the top two though. Last year, for example, Bottas would have finished the year in third rather than fifth as he had something like 7 fastest laps.
I understand ur point mentioning why would the top teams put thier car and engine under stress unnecessarily for one point..
But, with the pace advantage the top teams have they can afford to put in fastest laps anytime in the race.. they always just keep managing the tyres, fuel etc etc.. For example Vettel did fastest lap of Abu Dhabi Gp 2018 on its last lap with the tyres that had done more than 25 laps .. so why waste a point when it is free and up for taking when in fight for championship..

adrianjordan

Imagine this scenario too.... Going into the last race of the season and Vettel needs to win and get fastest lap to secure the title with Hamilton not finishing (just the win would put him and Hamilton tied on points with Lewis taking the title based on number of wins in my scenario).

First corner and Hamilton is involved in a collision with Verstappen taking both of them out of the race.

Bottas is given a simple target by the team - get fastest lap. PU turned up to max and puts with 5 laps to go for fresh Softest compound tyres... What does Vettel do?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

jjn9128

Just read an interesting conspiracy theory about this fastest lap point. If you recall Liberty's move into in-race betting - the theory being that making fastest lap a talking point gets more people to bet on who will achieve it.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Phil

adrianjordan wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 09:50
Imagine this scenario too.... Going into the last race of the season and Vettel needs to win and get fastest lap to secure the title with Hamilton not finishing (just the win would put him and Hamilton tied on points with Lewis taking the title based on number of wins in my scenario).

First corner and Hamilton is involved in a collision with Verstappen taking both of them out of the race.

Bottas is given a simple target by the team - get fastest lap. PU turned up to max and puts with 5 laps to go for fresh Softest compound tyres... What does Vettel do?
Do we really need that much drama? I’m sorry, but IMO the champion should be whoever did the best job across the season. The whole point for fastest lap IMO is stupid given the sensitive tires they are racing on.

You come up with this enticing scenario about Vettel having to fight more than he already would to get that extra point, yet what if there was no chance of securing it because in order to get the fastest lap, he’d have to pit for new tires (to give him any realistic chance) that would see him lose position and concede the championship anyway? It’s simply daft.

Point being; there are always things you can come up with two spice up the show artificially. But is it what we really want? More cluttered little rules and benefits for this and that?

And then what’s next? Fan boost to give a few drivers an unfair advantage because they have more followers/fans? Yes, as if anyone would want to win like that...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Big Tea

As I said earlier though, I look forward to the 'wingman' having the job of taking the point, and taking it from the competitors, but just say the second STR is in 10, and a Red Bull is in 11, say recovering from an off etc, there are all sorts of jiggery pokery options to consider.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

KeiKo403

jjn9128 wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 13:10
Just read an interesting conspiracy theory about this fastest lap point. If you recall Liberty's move into in-race betting - the theory being that making fastest lap a talking point gets more people to bet on who will achieve it.
this....although, I'd say less conspiracy and more sound business sense!

On a separate not though, Big Tea just mentioned about a recovery drive etc between p11/p10. Is the fastest lap still stand if you set the fastest lap from outside the top 10 but finished inside the top 10? Doesn't make much diff but makes a bit of a mockery.

I'm thinking of a car 1 lap down, safety car comes out, pits for fresh tyres, gets let through the pack and foot down clear track infront, no threat from behind. Sets fastest lap and comes through to finish top 10. Just seems strange that that could be rewarded with an additional point.

**edit**
Just checked the FIA F1 '19 Sporting Regs and answered some of my own questions so thought I'd share:
FIA F1 '19 Sporting Regs wrote: 1st = 25 points
10th = 1 point

In addition to the above, one point will be awarded to the driver who achieved the fastest lap
of the race and to the constructor whose car he was driving, provided the lap time was
achieved without incurring a penalty and he was in the top ten positions of the final race
classification (see Article 45). No point will be awarded if the fastest lap is achieved by a driver
who was classified outside the top ten positions.
So P11-P20 could prevent any fastest lap point being awarded. (that's how I read it)