1 point poll

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

1 point granted for fastest lap?

Yes it's a good idea
46%
No it's a bad idea
54%

Total votes: 125

Chuckjr

1 point poll

Genuinely curious what the overall opinion is of 1 point for fastest lap.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Zynerji

Re: 1 point poll

I'd rather see blue flags removed, and add a point to the leader for putting a driver a lap down.

nevill3

blue flags removed would be good too I agree
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

AJI
AJI

Chuckjr wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 21:09
Genuinely curious what the overall opinion is of 1 point for fastest lap.
The fact that this thread is veering off-topic from post #2 gives us a pretty good indication of what happens when F1 fans are asked a specific question...

My opinion. I think the fastest car/driver should be given some sort of recognition for delivering the fastest lap in a sport that is primarily based on going the fastest.

Cuky

I have answered with "Yes it's a good idea" because I like it in Formula E and Power Stage points in WRC seem to be well received. However, I feel that my thoughts would be in "I don't know" or "on the fence" camp if there was one of those options.

Capharol

i dislike the idea totally, it's the same stupid idea as they had to give double points at the last race, or changing the quali-mode.....

It might work in other series but adding points to a championship can be a decider that weights to big, instead of 1 point to a driver for the fastest lap, they should give it to the team.

imagine: Driver X has 24 points lead and 1 victory more, Driver Y needs so win as Driver X isn't allowed to get a point, driver Y ist first (and has a comfortable lead, 10 sec. ahead of #2), driver X is driving on 10th place, with a gap big enough to do a pitstop, the team of driver X decides "well what the hell, we can't get that last point by becoming 9th, so let's pit our driver and put him on the softest tyre availble and let him drive the fastest lap"

Championship decide by fastest lap

I know this is highly unlikely but can you see the outcry all over the world if something like this happens? in that moment F1 makes a joke of themselves

joshuagore

Capharol wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 02:37
i dislike the idea totally, it's the same stupid idea as they had to give double points at the last race, or changing the quali-mode.....

It might work in other series but adding points to a championship can be a decider that weights to big, instead of 1 point to a driver for the fastest lap, they should give it to the team.

imagine: Driver X has 24 points lead and 1 victory more, Driver Y needs so win as Driver X isn't allowed to get a point, driver Y ist first (and has a comfortable lead, 10 sec. ahead of #2), driver X is driving on 10th place, with a gap big enough to do a pitstop, the team of driver X decides "well what the hell, we can't get that last point by becoming 9th, so let's pit our driver and put him on the softest tyre availble and let him drive the fastest lap"

Championship decide by fastest lap

I know this is highly unlikely but can you see the outcry all over the world if something like this happens? in that moment F1 makes a joke of themselves
If we were in a 1 point championship type situation wouldn't it also be argued that the fast lap would then create drama leading to the last race? So commentary and debate about fast lap points might become a conversation as soon as the mid season assuming points are tight? Or a scenario like the only reason Y is in that position because of fast lap points? I too am not sure about it, wonder what will happen.

Zynerji

Would have made Massa champ in 2008 I believe...

+3 Massa
+1 Hamilton

AJI
AJI

The points system is the points system. It constantly evolves.
Prost would have won the WDC in 88 because he scored waaaaay more points than Senna, but the points system was different, so Senna was WDC.
There are many examples of the outcomes changing with different points systems applied to different era's, but the suggestion that getting one point for fastest lap is the same as 2014 double points is not a fair comparison.

Zynerji

When looking at wiki, some drivers had 10 fastest laps in a season... that's a pretty significant bonus in the title race...

AJI
AJI

Zynerji wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 03:29
When looking at wiki, some drivers had 10 fastest laps in a season... that's a pretty significant bonus in the title race...
But now everyone with nothing to lose will being going for last minute glory runs. We should see some pretty nice times

Chuckjr

After reading some arguments here, I have to say I see more benefits to awarding a fastest lap point than detriments. It will add so much drama to the end of every race. I think we will see a lot of mid field drivers strapping on the softies at the end of the race and going ten 10ths on the final few laps to try and snatch a championship point. Additionally, it also would give actual value to a driver achieving a grand schlem over a weekend...I think that's a good improvement.

Each point is extremely valuable possibly boosting a teams year end bonus by many millions, so yea this is going to stir the pot quite a bit.

I look forward to seeing how this plays out over the year.
Watching F1 since 1986.

zac510

I'm willing to give it a shot and if it is genuinely bad then change it in the near future. However I can't imagine it will change the mood of the race very much, rather it will generate some talking points.

NathanOlder

If it was introduced, it would probably be done like F2, where you have to finish inside the top 10. Otherwise the cars at the back will grab this point every time.

If you are 7th - 11th you wont normally pit for new tyres (especially if the mid pack is as tight as its looking) because you wont want to drop any places in the closing stages.
So only guys 12 down to 20 would try it. So its all a little pointless in my opinion.

If its awarded to someone in the top 10 only, we may see Vettel, Hamilton, Max exchanging fastest laps in the closing stages with low fuel loads it may be worth watching. But risking the PU, gearbox ect for 1point may not be worth the penalty for taking an extra engine or unscheduled gearbox change.

All in all, not worth it. Its more worthy giving it out for pole position, at least everyone is on an equal playing field (min weight, new tyres)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

GPR-A

I like the extract point for fastest lap. Most likely, the race leader would bag that. By having managed the race with a turned off engine and taking good care of tyres, the last lap or the penultimate lap with everything turned on with car on almost fumes, easy fastest lap for the race, no matter what others try and do. Other than exceptional scenarios.

Someone spoke about removing blue flags. My take is, as soon as a car comes to be lapped, that car should be sent back to the garage. A car being lapped, is not in the "RACE" anymore. It would save life of PU and also carbon fibre, which these back markers leave behind in abundance while they are tangling with each other.