1 point poll

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

1 point granted for fastest lap?

Yes it's a good idea
46%
No it's a bad idea
54%

Total votes: 125

Zynerji

Re: 1 point poll

GPR -A wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 15:34
Someone spoke about removing blue flags. My take is, as soon as a car comes to be lapped, that car should be sent back to the garage. A car being lapped, is not in the "RACE" anymore. It would save life of PU and also carbon fibre, which these back markers leave behind in abundance while they are tangling with each other.
I like the player killer aspect as well, but teams would quit by the 4th race of both cars were black flagged after being lapped. Their sponsors would not pay for 1/4 race distance only...

bblundell72

NathanOlder wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 14:52
If it was introduced, it would probably be done like F2, where you have to finish inside the top 10. Otherwise the cars at the back will grab this point every time.

If you are 7th - 11th you wont normally pit for new tyres (especially if the mid pack is as tight as its looking) because you wont want to drop any places in the closing stages.
So only guys 12 down to 20 would try it. So its all a little pointless in my opinion.
I agree with you that most of the midfield teams won't trade track position for a pit stop and fresh tires to thry and grab the single extra point they likely gave up by pitting anyway.

What really concerns me is the gap from the top teams to the midfield. What I could for see is whoever among the top 3 who is running in 6th will stop because they have a large enough gap to the midfield runners or handily have the pace to recover with fresh tires pitting for tires and cracking in a fast lap at the end. I think it will just further extend the gap from the top to the rest.

GPR-A

Zynerji wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 16:25
GPR -A wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 15:34
Someone spoke about removing blue flags. My take is, as soon as a car comes to be lapped, that car should be sent back to the garage. A car being lapped, is not in the "RACE" anymore. It would save life of PU and also carbon fibre, which these back markers leave behind in abundance while they are tangling with each other.
I like the player killer aspect as well, but teams would quit by the 4th race of both cars were black flagged after being lapped. Their sponsors would not pay for 1/4 race distance only...
Well then, we are not talking about racing! If this is an austerity drive to help struggling F1 team owners, by allowing them to run on the track as moving billboards in the middle of race cars, then it's an entirely different thing to talk about.

Zynerji

I have proposed this idea myself here before... i still carry the downvotes...🙄🙄

Just_a_fan

2008 British GP - there'd have been only three cars crossing the finishing line. Everyone else was either lapped (black flagged in this version of the rules) or crashed. Heck, the 2005 Indy GP would have had the third place driver black flagged for being lapped - ok, unusual circumstances but still would have been very silly.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 22:23
2008 British GP - there'd have been only three cars crossing the finishing line. Everyone else was either lapped (black flagged in this version of the rules) or crashed. Heck, the 2005 Indy GP would have had the third place driver black flagged for being lapped - ok, unusual circumstances but still would have been very silly.
That's why i removed the black flag... it's worth a point just for overtaking a backmarker that's allowed to block.

nevill3

Sp the teams get a constructors point too according to the latest announcement
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

AJI
AJI

So it's official. Unanimously apparently.
This is going to be spicy!

Chuckjr

Bring it on. 👍
Watching F1 since 1986.

Bisonas

Chuckjr wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 21:09
Genuinely curious what the overall opinion is of 1 point for fastest lap.
IMO
I think 2 points would be a lot more interesting. If they gave 1 point in the 50's with the point system they had, we can only assume 2 points with the current system would be more equivalent.

The smaller the gaps between cars the more interesting will be getting.
But if top 3 are close each other and then there is a gap behind as it was the case last year, then it wont be so interesting.
With 1 point, who ever is running 1-4 place, usually 2 fastest teams, wont bother so much. they will have a go at the last laps, but no extra stops and no extra risk. I dont think in a normal race, drivers running from 1-4 position will have the gap needed behind them for extra pitstop.
The lowest placed driver of the 3 fastest teams (usually a driver of the Third fastest team and in most races RED BULL if we take last year as example), will possible have a time pillow to the best of the rest placed driver of the middle field behind. So that driver, will probably take that extra pit stop and go for fastest lap. That is a no brainier.
The only way this can get interesting is if middle field teams have closed enough to the top 3, not allowing them the extra pit stop without loosing position. I don't think that will happened though. I think The lowest placed driver of the 3 fastest teams will take the extra pit stop (usually within the last 3-5 laps, in order to avoid domino effect in front of him) because in most cases will have enough gap behind him.
If that happened, then no middlefield team would be able to beat that time even if they consider extra stop, so...

Edit: if i prove correct, i really hope there will be a gentleman agreement between Ferrari Mercedes and RedBull, not to do extra stops for fastest laps. That would be fascinating to see, considering how closed the middle field pack will be this year. In the middle field each point worth a lot.

jumpingfish

Also can be situation with VSC/SC on last laps, so most of drivers will change their tyres and try to set fastest lap

wesley123

I think it's an awful idea that adds nothing. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for giving a point for the fastest lap, just not limited to the top 10. And the idea that other drivers could take this point away just gives me the feeling they have no clue what they are doing. Why would any driver deliberately go for the fastest lap, knowing that this would just add extra strain to their PU?

Outside of that, even if this would go the way they hoped, the 3 top teams are so far ahead, they would simply take the point without much effort, further increasing the gap between them and the rest of the field.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Chuckjr

I just don't think it will be that cut and dry in race conditions. Possibly causing a leading driver to make a mistake trying to get the fastest lap, and then it's changed the race/season result dramatically. I'm all for variables that keep a race/season interesting. The boring races where it's just follow the leader will have a new element to bring some late action. I really see this as a good move to add strategy variations, and race interest.
Watching F1 since 1986.

mertol

1 is too low impact. Better 5 points.

Dazed1

Fastest lap has to be on the lead lap AND be running at the end of the race, then maybe I would go for it. If you have no hope of winning you can under fuel and save a pristine set of soft tires for the end and over stress the engine. THEN you wind up with wrecks, mechanical failures, run out of gas and cause safety cars. Hmmm, Nascar!