1 point poll

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

1 point granted for fastest lap?

Yes it's a good idea
46%
No it's a bad idea
54%

Total votes: 125

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Re: 1 point poll

Couple of things. Just because there is a gap between 6th and 7th (for example) doesn’t mean there isn’t a back marker in the middle 1 lap down. This seems like a lottery of fastest inside the top 10 in the right place at the right time with enough sets of the fastest tyres available. No point in pitting if you only have mediums available and someone else has softs.

I think with the 3PU rule this season too I’d rather see the driver who has fastest lap (overall, not just top 10) then they get to choose a single component to have extra. Last race of the season....meh who cares. Fastest lap bragging rights?!

strad

not if limited to the top 10
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

LM10
LM10

strad wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 19:47
not if limited to the top 10
My thought. There is absolutely no sense in limiting it to the top 10. First 6 positions will probably be made of the usual dominant 3 teams again and this rule will put them into an advantageous spot over the rest (as if they're not already anyway).
On the other hand, if the fastest lap is done by a car from 7-10, it might help them points wise in comparison to the top 6. But somehow I don't think this will happen often.

dtro
dtro

I add a caveat to my answer similar to Strad's, if it only applies to the top 10 the new rule is a half-measure of sorts.

adrianjordan

I like it, but extend it to the whole field.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

strad

If extended down the field the points garnered in this way could make a difference in who finishes 5th or 6th (pick any two spots) and how much their cut of the pie is. It could help a struggling team. :wink:
Last edited by strad on 17 Mar 2019, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

GPR-A

GPR -A wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 15:34
I like the extract point for fastest lap. Most likely, the race leader would bag that. By having managed the race with a turned off engine and taking good care of tyres, the last lap or the penultimate lap with everything turned on with car on almost fumes, easy fastest lap for the race, no matter what others try and do. Other than exceptional scenarios.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27963&p=820344&hili ... st#p820344
I already predicted this.

humble sabot

GPR -A wrote:
11 Mar 2019, 15:34
Someone spoke about removing blue flags. My take is, as soon as a car comes to be lapped, that car should be sent back to the garage. A car being lapped, is not in the "RACE" anymore. It would save life of PU and also carbon fibre, which these back markers leave behind in abundance while they are tangling with each other.
That's not a race. That's a very very specific kind of event, usually paired with others, or applied in situations where the course is too short and tight to allow excess traffic aaand position keeping is done by eye rather than radio telemetry. F1 runs on tracks that take on average around 1:30 for cars of today's technology, because longer courses became unsustainable to manage from a safety point of view.
I'm not going to pay attention to a sport where people are penalized for not being as fast as the wealthiest.
Dude, do you remember how many times Michael Schumacher came within a car of lapping 2nd place?
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance