Making F1 Great Again

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
strad

Re: Making F1 Great Again

Teams have never been this close
Your kidding right?
You have two teams and a third trying to make it three.
I don't understand why some people always say it's about going to the past. It's not. It's about trying to move forward in a way that increases competition and sustainability.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Tim.Wright

I think at this point the best short term action would be for Liberty to finance a seat in McLaren for Pastor Maldonato
Not the engineer at Force India

roon

I like the current situation of running the Formula Mercedes cars alongside the Formula One cars. Reminds me of WEC.

JAA17

bucker wrote:
28 Apr 2019, 12:05
I watch F1 because it is the best racing series for me, i like the cars i have been on races and the spectacle and energy around it is amazing, but the main part, which is Sunday race is fun to watch if you are fan of Magnussen, Perez or Sainz or someone who finishes around 10th place, because there is always something going on, on the track. First five places are just cars separate by 30s. Where is fun in that? It is same as you were watching one car for one hour driving around.
Last year I was a fan of Alonso, so my races were very interesting. However, at the moment if you care about who is winning, then watching paint dry would be more entertaining.

This year I am gravitating towards LeClerc. It's the kiss of death for him, because the drivers I like never tend to do well. But as a fan, watching him is very exciting at the moment.
[Alonso Fan]

JAA17

I think everyone is missing the obvious answer to level things up and make it more interesting. If you are in the top five one week, then for the next race you are obligated to wear big floppy clown shoes and you get custard pies thrown at you by the marshals as you drive by.

Obvious answer really.
[Alonso Fan]

mclaren111

I'm old school...

I want noise, noise and more noise... The cars just don't sound fast... Not interested in the things the commentators have to say... They see what I see...

roon

But they are fast. They're faster than any other era. Might consider to update your associations. In the old school, there were no rules nor concern about engine sound aesthetics. They weren't trying to sound like the previous generations of cars, nor were the generation before them trying to sound like horses.

'Make great again' philosophies attempt to recreate or extend particular aesthetic cues beyond the eras they naturally arose within, into new eras artificially. Retroism.

I see a parallel between F1 and politics in this context. Population growth combined with technological development created cultural changes and inspired new legislation. Oftentimes in the name of safety for humans and or environment.

In F1, tech advancement created a similar sort of population growth scenario. The tracks could not handle the competitive necessity of ever faster cars. This inspired legislation over decades and the original competitive nature was lost.

Now we are in eras where the legislations are somewhat resented. But without full consideration people simply say "make it look like x years ago." Which is to say, lie to me. Give me illusions.

To truly address some of these concerns, foundations must be addressed. Politically, great-again would mean returns to real competition and combat, real death and consequences. Same for the race track.

But in this era we do not permit the zealous to die. I wonder if in the long run it is safer to let the hypercompetitive racer types drive into armco when they're still in their 20s or 30s. There is a Darwinian element perhaps not fully appreciated. Now we have zombie twentysomethigns living into their eighties because death, zealousness, grandeur, heroism, and daredeviling is outlawed.

Removing barriers, crash structures, halos, HANS devices, and 90% of the rulebook would create the foundation for real competition and risk, from which would attract real spectator curiosity and likely would result in louder cars as well. I doubt MxGA proponents want to go there, at the racetrack nor elsewhere. They like their lap belts, actually.

Schuttelberg

Get a competent tyre supplier?

It's been a joke for 7 years.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

mclaren111

roon wrote:
01 May 2019, 03:38
But they are fast. They're faster than any other era. Might consider to update your associations. In the old school, there were no rules nor concern about engine sound aesthetics. They weren't trying to sound like the previous generations of cars, nor were the generation before them trying to sound like horses.

'Make great again' philosophies attempt to recreate or extend particular aesthetic cues beyond the eras they naturally arose within, into new eras artificially. Retroism.

I see a parallel between F1 and politics in this context. Population growth combined with technological development created cultural changes and inspired new legislation. Oftentimes in the name of safety for humans and or environment.

In F1, tech advancement created a similar sort of population growth scenario. The tracks could not handle the competitive necessity of ever faster cars. This inspired legislation over decades and the original competitive nature was lost.

Now we are in eras where the legislations are somewhat resented. But without full consideration people simply say "make it look like x years ago." Which is to say, lie to me. Give me illusions.

To truly address some of these concerns, foundations must be addressed. Politically, great-again would mean returns to real competition and combat, real death and consequences. Same for the race track.

But in this era we do not permit the zealous to die. I wonder if in the long run it is safer to let the hypercompetitive racer types drive into armco when they're still in their 20s or 30s. There is a Darwinian element perhaps not fully appreciated. Now we have zombie twentysomethigns living into their eighties because death, zealousness, grandeur, heroism, and daredeviling is outlawed.

Removing barriers, crash structures, halos, HANS devices, and 90% of the rulebook would create the foundation for real competition and risk, from which would attract real spectator curiosity and likely would result in louder cars as well. I doubt MxGA proponents want to go there, at the racetrack nor elsewhere. They like their lap belts, actually.

Sadly, everything you say are correct... That's why I said I'm Old School...

Schuttelberg

mclaren111 wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 15:38
I'm old school...

I want noise, noise and more noise... The cars just don't sound fast... Not interested in the things the commentators have to say... They see what I see...
They need to sound and they need to smell. F1 fans need to also be patient. While Bernie did a stellar job of globalising our sport, he also was leading a business model destined for doom. People chastise Liberty, but they've done us a mighty favour by actually buying a product which has heritage, history but a financial model that is best described as a farce.

I think things will improve. My faith in Ross Brawn is undeterred and I know he likes to really evaluate, have a scientific approach and then make changes. I really really hope we have a solution to the tyres. I've been on about it for ages now. For the leading motorsport category to not have a rain tyre and now to have a tyre with a 'window' is just frustrating. It's not like we have a lot of stops either to be immersed in the strategy side of things. So, unless untoward things happen which are also now taken into account by number crunchers on the pit wall, it's hard to see a mid fielder on a podium. I think that's really sad. Surprise winners were a norm in a season or two. We miss that.

Also, knowing Ross Brawn, DRS will be history by 2020. That's my feeling. I wasn't impressed when it was introduced and am not to date. I rather a mega pass a season than 150 of no meaning. These two things really trigger me at the moment. There's another, but that's more of a personal vendetta and 50% immaturity on my side and nothing Brawn can help with. Toto Wolff. Not having to listen to his opinion about the pecking order would make my year!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Manoah2u

Schuttelberg wrote:
01 May 2019, 04:40
Get a competent tyre supplier?

It's been a joke for 7 years.
Pirelli isn't incompetent.
It's incompetent to demand the artificial tyre wear from the supplier.
The only problem is that Pirelli says 'yes' where Michelin, Bridgestone, etc etc says NO.

I do remember that embarassing - and dangerous - race where the tires just popped and exploded all around.
I honestly thought that would change things but it didn't. Offcourse Paul Hembery disappeared a while after,
which i do believe is a good thing, but the artificial tyre wear did, unfortunately, not disappear.

It's all around the tires now. Millions are pumped not into aerodynamics and car technical, but they are pumped in these areas so they can 'awaken' the tires. which in the end doesn't actually make it aerodynamics, but tire-dynamics.

Tires are having too much of an influence. Ditch the artificial tyre wear and make real working tires.
The compounds can stay, soft, super soft, normal, hard, etc. And it would make sense that hard tires have less wear than super or hyper softs. But let that be it. Don't make then artificially controlled weak.
Let the team decide tactics, not the tire supplier.

Also, it would be much better if we had different tire manufacturers. It's completely stupid to think that 1 supplier brings an even playing field. Just look at the millions Mercedes has put in to understand the tires, small independent teams have no way of ever reaching that level of understanding. So it's not a plain field anyway in that regards.
Also i wouldn't be surprised if Mercedes is getting 'secret tires' from pirelli somehow. I'm not accusing them, but it happened in the Schumacher days and i'm doubtfull that it couldn't happen today either.

Different tyre manufacturers bring in that you get some extra competition in there and that tire manufacturers now HAVE to do a good job because if they don't the competition will get the praise and sell, and the 'loser' won't.
And as such, one manufacturer can have a different approach wich suits one team's philosophy better.

Hell, i'd even be interested to see cheaper tires in f1. Offcourse quality will be better of the big names, it would be impossible to think otherwise. But if you could get a supplier that costs half from what the big names present to the teams, then you suddenly have that those small teams have more money to put into the car, which opens up possibilities for a much more diverse approach and as such, more diversity in car design and driving styles,
which in itself then causes what we all want to see : more overtaking and action on the tarmac.

the reason we have less and less overtaking is because f1 is being put into a mold, where everything is becoming the same. a porsche vs a porsche and a corvette vs a corvette is really not that exciting. but a porsche vs a corvette is much more exciting because they have such different philosophies in their design approach, and as such, either car's way they drive the track is different and as such, causes excitement.

this is what's wrong with F1, molding it into a baloney sandwich, all the same for everyone.
and now they're forcing it with stupid standardized wheels, standardized brakes, next up standardized design.

i hope ecclestone is able to step in. he atleast understands it. wheter that is by fixing things in f1 or to stard a splinter series, whatever it takes.

I'd be very curious to see if Ecclestone could convince manufacturers, by using finances he has himself,
and ask Ferrari, Mercedes, Porsche, Honda to 'secretly' make a formula car with some safety restrignments,
freedom of engines to choose, freedom of design, and have a tire manufacturer bring the tires,
and have a 5 or 10 race 'experimental prototype formula' series in some tracks, and bring in some drivers.
Hell maybe they can use F1 test drivers, there are also plenty of 'f1 rejects', and hell, if would be interesting
to see if there could be actual f1 drivers that would participate if they don't have to race that weekend.

and see what would happen.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

FrukostScones

Pirelli Cheese was there before Liberty requested it.
and they never made a good rain tyre. the intermediate tyre also was very bad in the beginning
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Just_a_fan

Manoah2u wrote:
01 May 2019, 11:17

Also i wouldn't be surprised if Mercedes is getting 'secret tires' from pirelli somehow. I'm not accusing them, but it happened in the Schumacher days and i'm doubtfull that it couldn't happen today either.
Total silliness! Ferrari had a contract with Bridgestone and, back when testing was unlimited, they developed the tyres for the car. Minardi got whatever Ferrari didn't want. There was the occasional mix up by Ferrari where the tyre they chose wasn't any good on the day. Minardi benefitted on these days because they were given the "better" tyre.

Mercedes aren't getting special tyres.
the reason we have less and less overtaking is because f1 is being put into a mold, where everything is becoming the same. a porsche vs a porsche and a corvette vs a corvette is really not that exciting.
You haven't watched Porsche Supercup or any other one make series then. Single make series give good racing because the drivers make all the difference. As most drivers are similarly fast, they have to race and overtake using skill. Some great racing happens in these series.
i hope ecclestone is able to step in. he atleast understands it. wheter that is by fixing things in f1 or to stard a splinter series, whatever it takes.
Ecclestone is yesterday's man. He is the past and would not make F1 better. Indeed, some of the current problems can be laid at his door.

As for alternative series with ex-F1 or nearly-F1 drivers, look no further than Formula E. Or Sports Cars/LMP racing.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ubuysa

Manoah2u wrote:
01 May 2019, 11:17
You haven't watched Porsche Supercup or any other one make series then. Single make series give good racing because the drivers make all the difference. As most drivers are similarly fast, they have to race and overtake using skill. Some great racing happens in these series.
If the racing you want to watch is all about the drivers and nothing else then single makes is the thing. F1 is not just about the drivers, it's about the cars and the teams that build and race them.

If what you like is same cars with different drivers then F1 is not for you. And for me, I don't much care what format makes the most money or brings in the most viewers, I want to see teams competing to design, build, and race an F1 car. How you finance that has to be built around that formula, because THAT is what F1 is. IMO of course.

strad

Make great again' philosophies attempt to recreate or extend particular aesthetic cues
Where do you read into the article in question anything about trying to go back wards . Especially in terms of safety?
Much of what some of you say has not context in the Johansson article.
If you see no problem with what F1 has and is turning into or the financial morass that's fine but many of us have a real problem with the performance and the costs.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss