Ban automakers

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
wesley123

Re: Ban automakers

bill shoe wrote:
31 May 2019, 02:55
In Which the Manufacturers Hand Liberty Media Its Ass

If you are skeptical whether Liberty is being handed their own ass, then ask yourself this question: If Liberty had known in 2016 that they would not be allowed to make any structural/technical/financial changes to F1, then would Liberty have been willing to buy F1 for the price they paid?
But they are allowed to do that. The issue here is that they are trying to appeal to a group of so-called 'fans' that they can't possibly appeal to. And their demands(which they like to jump around in a lot) do in no way fit any of the teams.[/quote]
https://www.racefans.net/2019/05/24/fia ... rbox-2021/

The link is a basic story, but you'll be getting this same info from many other sources. The future of F1 is in danger due to the inability of Liberty to manage their own stakeholders on a basic level. This is why the manufacturers should be kicked out of F1. They "bring money into the sport", but they do not provide any profit for the owners (Liberty Media) and they do not care about the best long-term interests of F1 as a sporting endevour for fans.
I definitely agree on Liberty Media having no back bone. However, the manufacturers do bring money in the sport. Partially from themselves, but also due to PR. A brand like Ferrari brings prestige, same for Mercedes. I mean, who cares about Claire Williams(for example)? such 'simple' teams bring little prestige on their own, and by extent much less in money or partnerships. So with that, it's owners make more profit as well.

And with that, manufacturers do have their interests in the sport. It's not worth all that much to win the WDC when you're the sole competitor. And of course, you'll try to get the biggest advantage you can get. F1 isn't unique to that, this happens in every top sport.

F1 hasn't gotten more political in the past years or anything, and in terms of sport it hasn't changed much either. The most resourceful teams win, that has always been the case. You can take away the manufacturers but the team with the most resources will still win.

I never got, and probably never will, why in 2019 it suddenly is a problem, where it hasn't been over the past. In soccer the most resourceful teams win, In cycling the most resourceful teams win, In tennis the best players win, etc. etc. It's the way it goes.

Timely and good thread by Roon.
[/quote]
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Jolle

Zynerji wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 16:28
Man, I would love to consult for Liberty on some things.

Does anyone have their address?
V12's, aluminum rivited chassis and a O2 supply on top of the fuel tank?

Zynerji

Jolle wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 13:39
Zynerji wrote:

Actually, I would solve their software problems first, open multiple streams of income from that sector of the business then spread it to F1.

Jolle

Zynerji wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 21:51
Jolle wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

Actually, I would solve their software problems first, open multiple streams of income from that sector of the business then spread it to F1.
You mean you would be able to actually watch a race? 😂

Zynerji

Jolle wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 21:54
Zynerji wrote:
Jolle wrote:

Yes. And distribute material to the media, as well as involve the fans.

Jolle

Zynerji wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 22:15
Jolle wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

Isn’t that what they are trying to do, step by step? BE always have a zero tolerance attitude while under liberty social media and partners like Netflix and Amazon are allowed much more.

Zynerji

Jolle wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 22:20
Zynerji wrote:
Jolle wrote:

Isn’t that what they are trying to do, step by step? BE always have a zero tolerance attitude while under liberty social media and partners like Netflix and Amazon are allowed much more.
They are applying band-aids from my perspective. I'm more interested in a fully unified software that includes everything. Then, you can account for 100% of all team activity, then you can control costs.

Jolle

Zynerji wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 22:32
Jolle wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

They are applying band-aids from my perspective. I'm more interested in a fully unified software that includes everything. Then, you can account for 100% of all team activity, then you can control costs.
yeah... I also would like to have the full multitrack of my favourite artists and all of the camera shot's of Pulp Fiction, but don't think that's going to happen.

Zynerji

Jolle wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 22:47
Zynerji wrote:
02 Jun 2019, 22:32
Jolle wrote:

yeah... I also would like to have the full multitrack of my favourite artists and all of the camera shot's of Pulp Fiction, but don't think that's going to happen.
The only thing in this world that makes me truly mad is wasted potential.

I'm not sure why I am still a fan of F1, as the amount of wasted potential is epic.

#-o #-o #-o

Manoah2u

JordanMugen wrote:
01 Jun 2019, 10:30
Manoah2u wrote:
19 May 2019, 10:39
Sooooooo you want a sport with race CARS but you don't want marques who MAKE cars to race...........right.
Racing car marques like Dallara, Taatus, March, Ligier-Onroak, Lola, Reynard, Swift etc are fine and accepted.

It's only Ferrari, Mercedes, Renault etc who are excluded.
:lol: :lol: :lol: you have any clue who generally INVENTED F1?

Ah yes,
FERRARI. whom has been around ALWAYS, and have raced 975 !!! races
MERCEDES. also in the early days they were present, then they were out for a while, then came back as engine manufacturer.
ALFA ROMEO. another manufacturer. now back as a ferrari b-team.

RENAULT has been around a long time too for that matter.

and your idea is these should be ditched in favour of some energy drinks companies, some betting companies or a tool manufacturer? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

are you even serious? is this whole thread even serious? :wtf: :wtf:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

zac510

Is the end game in this thread (based on the original premise of banning automakers) just to get closer laptimes between the whole field?

Big Tea

zac510 wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 19:12
Is the end game in this thread (based on the original premise of banning automakers) just to get closer laptimes between the whole field?
Then maybe the rule should be automakers only? :twisted:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

roon

zac510 wrote:
Premise is to break marketing connections to road transport. There is a persistent idea that says there needs to be engineering and aesthetic connections between the two realms. This weakens the sport.

viewtopic.php?p=834815#p834815

zac510

roon wrote:
03 Jun 2019, 22:59
zac510 wrote:
Premise is to break marketing connections to road transport. There is a persistent idea that says there needs to be engineering and aesthetic connections between the two realms. This weakens the sport.

viewtopic.php?p=834815#p834815
I see. I thought the 'focussing on lap times' might have just been code for wanting for a tighter field.

It's hard to see how they're weakening the sport when they're getting record lap times most weekends. I agree that the extreme wealth of the manufacturers creates an imbalance across the field, but evidence is it's exactly that wealth that allows them to pursue an extremely fast single lap time.

strad

I understand where you're coming from but the roots of F1 go back to before Ferrari was a gleam in Enzo's eye.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss