Which One is Fastest?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
adree

Which One is Fastest?

I wonder which racing car is fastest, F1 or Formula E?

Jolle

Re: Which One is Fastest?

Formula E is one and maybe the slowest single seater racing series at the moment while F1 is by far the fastest.

adree

I thought both are highest class racing car but the difference is the engine. F1 is using Otto engine and Formula E is using electric engine.

Jolle

No, Formula E has about the same horsepower as a Formula 3 euroseries but is very very heavy (900kg, almost twice the weight of a F3) and all weather rock hard tires (tires have to last an entire weekend).

F1 has three/four times the power, ¾ the weight and racing slick tires.

Even on a track like Monaco, Formula E runs almost without downforce.

Good chance a formula ford would be faster then a Formula E car.

Andres125sx

Past season I would have agreed with Jolle, but with gen2 cars I don´t think they´re that slow. This season FE cars provide a lot more downforce, but DF on FE cars is produced by the floor mainly to avoid dirty air caused by wings

I think gen2 cars are around 5-6 seconds faster than the previous one. I didn´t know F3 cars are that light btw, but with that difference they must be faster... but it´s a difficult comparison, as F3 car produce almost no downforce at all

FE cars are heavily restricted by battery technology. Before FE maiden most people thought FE would be a huge fail. They obviously were wrong, but to compete with F1 you need a car wich is something more than just not a fail.

Electric racing cars are on its infancy, huge development ahead

Jolle

Andres125sx wrote:
22 May 2019, 17:26
Past season I would have agreed with Jolle, but with gen2 cars I don´t think they´re that slow. This season FE cars provide a lot more downforce, but DF on FE cars is produced by the floor mainly to avoid dirty air caused by wings

I think gen2 cars are around 5-6 seconds faster than the previous one. I didn´t know F3 cars are that light btw, but with that difference they must be faster... but it´s a difficult comparison, as F3 car produce almost no downforce at all

FE cars are heavily restricted by battery technology. Before FE maiden most people thought FE would be a huge fail. They obviously were wrong, but to compete with F1 you need a car wich is something more than just not a fail.

F3 cars also have huge (relative to their size) venturies and produce more downforce the you think.

Performance wise Formula E is actually quite pathetic. 200kW in race trim with 900 kg of mass, that’s not far off reasonably priced road cars. The only reason it looks good on track because of the narrow short road courses and the very hard tires, which makes it look like they race on ice.

Yes, electric power racing cars are the future, but for now, Formula E is a big promotional event for the car manufacturers in town centers. The perfect opportunity to cater your guest in the Tower of London or the streets of Paris instead between the barbecuing fans of Le Mans.

Andres125sx

Jolle wrote:
22 May 2019, 17:45
Andres125sx wrote:

Performance wise Formula E is actually quite pathetic. 200kW in race trim with 900 kg of mass, that’s not far off reasonably priced road cars. The only reason it looks good on track because of the narrow short road courses and the very hard tires, which makes it look like they race on ice.
So any series wich is not extremelly fast is pathetic and cannot look good at any track? #-o

Formula Ford is pathetic? WTCC is pathetic?

Sorry Jolle, but your bias is too obvious

Jolle

Andres125sx wrote:
23 May 2019, 17:49
Jolle wrote:
22 May 2019, 17:45
Andres125sx wrote:

So any series wich is not extremelly fast is pathetic and cannot look good at any track? #-o

Formula Ford is pathetic? WTCC is pathetic?

Sorry Jolle, but your bias is too obvious
You downvoted me because my analysis isn’t accurate? Which part?

hollus

This is from season 3:

Of course not quite the same track.

And this compares seasons 1 and 5 of Formula-e:
Rivals, not enemies.

Andres125sx

I think the reason written in my downvote, added to my reply wich you quoted yourself, explain it pretty well. I wouldn´t downvote it if it had not received an upvote first tough, only that I don´t think that reply deserves an upvote.

Andres125sx

hollus wrote:
23 May 2019, 18:53
This is from season 3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdanaBoJbHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juWLXhQ5RWg
Wow, gen2 cars are more than 7 seconds faster than gen1, that´s a huge difference, specially considering the laptime is under 1 minute! :shock:

DiogoBrand

Andres125sx wrote:
23 May 2019, 18:58
hollus wrote:
This is from season 3:

Wow, gen2 cars are more than 7 seconds faster than gen1, that´s a huge difference, specially considering the laptime is under 1 minute! :shock:
I'm sorry if I'm talking BS here because I don't follow FE. But haven't FE cars evolved from S1 to S4? I mean, not the chassis, but the power units. If that's the case, then the Gen 2 car isn't actually 7s faster than the Gen 1. It would be impressive none the least, but not 7s impressive.

Jolle

pole 2015 (first year): 53.5, fastest lap in the race: 55.2
pole 2019 (gen2 car): 53.3 fastest lap in the race: 52.3 (probably because of the Mario Kart rules)

Andres125sx

DiogoBrand wrote:
23 May 2019, 20:47
Andres125sx wrote:
23 May 2019, 18:58
hollus wrote:
This is from season 3:

I'm sorry if I'm talking BS here because I don't follow FE. But haven't FE cars evolved from S1 to S4? I mean, not the chassis, but the power units. If that's the case, then the Gen 2 car isn't actually 7s faster than the Gen 1. It would be impressive none the least, but not 7s impressive.
S1-s4 it was same car with same motors (no PU in FE :wink: ) and if my memory serve me well only the gearboxes were allowed to be developed by teams. Motors and batteries (wich are the responsible for the power provided) were the same. Car was the same.

In S5 it´s a brand new car with new battery wich provide enough juice to make the race in a single stint, so it´s heavier but even so, thanks to an increased power output and added DF, they´re much faster

Andres125sx

Jolle wrote:
23 May 2019, 22:40
pole 2015 (first year): 53.5, fastest lap in the race: 55.2
pole 2019 (gen2 car): 53.3 fastest lap in the race: 52.3 (probably because of the Mario Kart rules)
False, pole in 2019 was 50.0