Poll: Alonso to where in 2020?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

In 2020 Alonso is headed to...

Poll ended at 27 Jul 2019, 08:37

Mclaren
1%
Ferrari
19%
Red Bull
9%
He will never race F1 again
71%

Total votes: 91

Chuckjr

Poll: Alonso to where in 2020?

Would appreciate opinions on this. I really hope he doesn’t retire from F1, but something says he will. A place next to Lando or Chuck would be nice [-o< , but certainly not Max, imo.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Phil

Re: Pole: Alonso to where in 2020?

Dude, he’s gone already.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

selvam_e2002

Re: Pole: Alonso to where in 2020?

I don't think so. then why Meclaren and Alonso part away? seems something going on... If he want to re-sign again with other teams in F1 then he has to cancel all his contract/responsibility with Mclaren else no one going to pick him. Hence I think he may talking with some team in F1.

Also Vettel still in touch with RB, he can replace Gasly because I am 100% sure Max will not stay beyond 2021 in RB, he may go elsewhere if Honda not challenging for WDC and WCC.

If Max leaves who will drive for RB. They cannot put Albon and Kyvat there. So I think they need experienced driver if Max gone in 2021.

I would say wait till SG F1 race, then we will know clear picture.

hollus

Re: Poll: Alonso to where in 2020?

I corrected the title.

And voted, red.
Rivals, not enemies.

jjn9128

He's gone. Sadly never to fulfil his potential, though 2xWDC is a good knock. No top team will take him because of his propensity for bringing disharmony. Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull all have their top guys tied up to 2021, and Red Bull only want to promote from within. So Renault might be the only option in place of Hulk who's contract is up this year. That's if they continue to progress. I can't see Nando wanting to fight for 8-16th depending on the track for another season in the hope of a great car in 2021 - when he'll be 39/40.

I think he's left Mclaren to negotiate a better Indy deal to attack the 500 again. It doesn't look like he wants to do a full season there though. There's rumours of WRC outings or Dakkar. Then the HyperCars in WEC might tempt him back to Le Mans.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Jolle

This again.... every team on the grid had a chance to have Alonso multiple times since he stepped away from his Ferrari contract at the end of 2014 and nobody did. RedBull has Honda now, so that's a big no. Ferrari has their future set with Leclerc, Renault was quite vocal that they want the champion of the future not one from over a decade ago and Mercedes holds grudges.

As for Alonso himself, if he wants this triple crown he has to find a racing seat with a front running chevy team in IndyCar but somehow he isn't prepared to do so.

GPR-A

There is no point for Alonso to return as there is no team on the grid who is capable of beating Mercedes in the near future and Lewis would continue at least till 2023 at Mercedes.

People, instead of blaming Alonso for being who he has been, if could blame the lethargic teams that he drove for, who kept making dog of cars, may be it makes better sense. If they would have given him right equipment, we would have been praising a more than 2 time world champion.

selvam_e2002

If Vettel gone from Ferrari end of 2019( seems to be) who will race Ferrari?

marvin78

How can you tell that it "seems to be" ?

NathanOlder

Ferrari is the only possibility, if Vettel retires, and if Ferrari feel the need to have a champion in the car. Although if Ferrari had to have a champion in the car, maybe Button or Rosberg would be a better bet??

Personally I can't see Alonso coming back, although I'd love to see him on the grid in 2020
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

marmer

NathanOlder wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 20:52
Ferrari is the only possibility, if Vettel retires, and if Ferrari feel the need to have a champion in the car. Although if Ferrari had to have a champion in the car, maybe Button or Rosberg would be a better bet??

Personally I can't see Alonso coming back, although I'd love to see him on the grid in 2020
Button and rosberg have been out of F1 longer than alonso. Age wise button is older than Alonso.

Rosberg while younger has done no racing of note since F1.

If Ferrari really wanted a champion should vettel quit then Alonso or Kimi are the only realistic options. But tbh they would be better getting a decent driver if not great to partner Charles someone like hulk or Perez

Big Tea

I suspect that if Vettel left Ferrari they would want Danny Ric there (I know there are contracts etc) so that would leave what to me is the only likely seat Alonso will get at Renault.
Other that this happening I really cannot see Alonso back at all ( unless he brings his own team, which is not that impossible)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

n_we1ss

While I don't care where he goes in 2020 I'll welcome him back with open arms.
Last edited by n_we1ss on 07 Jul 2019, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.

makecry

Jolle wrote:
06 Jul 2019, 14:13
This again.... every team on the grid had a chance to have Alonso multiple times since he stepped away from his Ferrari contract at the end of 2014 and nobody did. RedBull has Honda now, so that's a big no. Ferrari has their future set with Leclerc, Renault was quite vocal that they want the champion of the future not one from over a decade ago and Mercedes holds grudges.

As for Alonso himself, if he wants this triple crown he has to find a racing seat with a front running chevy team in IndyCar but somehow he isn't prepared to do so.

. Mercedes was locked. Ferrari was were Alonso was. RedBull was from Alonso's POV at that time locked as well. Only other "top" team open was McLaren.

n_we1ss

Big Tea wrote:I suspect that if Vettel left Ferrari they would want Danny Ric there (I know there are contracts etc) so that would leave what to me is the only likely seat Alonso will get at Renault.
Other that this happening I really cannot see Alonso back at all ( unless he brings his own team, which is not that impossible)
Any idea when Ric's contract at Renault ends? Read somewhere it's at the end of 2020 (Vettel's contract will end at the same time) but I'm not sure how true is this.