Poll: Alonso to where in 2020?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

In 2020 Alonso is headed to...

Poll ended at 27 Jul 2019, 08:37

Mclaren
1%
Ferrari
19%
Red Bull
9%
He will never race F1 again
71%

Total votes: 91

Jolle
Jolle

Re: Poll: Alonso to where in 2020?

Andres125sx wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 22:02
gokarter wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 19:23
The supossed Honda veto remind me when, before 2014, most fans considered Alonso would never join McLaren again after 2007, but...

This is F1 guys, people care about results and how to maximize their potential, not about who's nice or who's your friend or who said what in the past

Actually, if RBR and Honda have a top package, I can see the Japanese willing to sign in Fernando both to increase their potential and to improve their public image, because if we are real, the problem with the gp2 comment was that Fernando had many reasons to say that, he was fly passed by a STR with a poor (then) Renault PU, and also it didn't have any reliability, so it was probably one of the worst PU in F1 ever.

If I know japanese, what I do as my aunt in law is Japanese, they were humiliated by their poor performance, not because Alonso said it publicly, if it's true you shouldn't blame the messenger
If alonso gets a drive a redbull honda in 2020, i will loose all respect for honda. you dont destroy the hand that feeds you.alonso did just that. alonso was more a political toxic driver than anyone who cant motivate the team he publicly said he want a different engine or he is out. and if he has that much control over mclaren, then it time honda to say No to him. no team want this political driver. he is begging for a seat. redbull honda is building nicely for a 2020 title challenge. they dont need chaos.
I find amazing the power you guys think Alonso has on their teams. Looks like you think F1 teams are amateurs who need the guidance of a driver to make decisions... but in reality the team was as feed up with Honda as Alonso, only that they didn´t suffer the poor perfomance while driving at a heart rate of 160 watching how a small team like STR with a very poor PU as Renault was in those days fly pass you

Don´t get me wrong, I think Alonso should have never said that, but it´s understandable in the heat of a race when he sees his efforts are useless with that poor PU. I can´t imagine how frustrating that may be, specially for a world champion

Probably biggest mistake was McLaren signing in Alonso for a long term project, they didn´t need a world champion to develop a new project as any world champion is very demanding, and if you can´t deliver, he´ll criticize you because of not accomplishing the targets they did promise
I think, and after watching the Mclaren show on Amazon "drive" or something, it was pretty clear that at least Zak Brown's vision or policy was "we have to keep Fernando happy", while the whole team was sitting with their armes crossed missing deadlines. Before that, Ron Dennis was counting on Alonso's name to hook up a few good sponsors or deals, having a driver lineup from heaven. I do believe that they did make a choice in 2016 between a champ driver and their partner, only for their driver to leave the next year.

Don't forget, for 2014, nobody could hype up something like Ron Dennis, with his "our goal is to dominate again". Everyone apart from sponsors bought into this only to have it fall flat on it's face.

And for Alonso's moments over the radio, I do believe they were not in the heat of the moment, but well timed. Just like his "I don't wanna" or "we look like amateurs". He's an exceptional driver but these kinds of things are so counter productive. They should of had Gunter Steiner on the pitwall to tell him to shut up and earn his 2 million per race.

Ron Dennis was thinking that all the old tricks from the eighties were still working in 2014. Rushing an engine (what Lauda did with the TAG), having big names in your car, to simply bolt on a Honda engine. At least Mclaren is a bit more humble now and directly you can see it in the results.

roon
roon

Blaming the driver sounds like an executive problem. As does expecting a miraculous Merc beating engine on a low budget within a short time span.

Chuckjr

We all say things in the heat of emotion that we regret. Every driver is going to have a moment. When a WC or a career is on the line (and every race it is) red mist is going to happen. I used to care more than I do now. Whatever the case, all a team wants is to win. They will hire the two drivers that they think will deliver the goods both as a team and individuals. I wish drivers were more motivated by a faster team mate but this does not seem to be the case as the other driver is seen in an adversarial sense. That’s not at all a judgement, that’s simply what I observe among the top end drivers and I wish it were different.

I don’t see Alonso making Max faster. I see them as strong adversaries and the red mist will be even closer and would compromise the team as a whole. I wish I saw it differently as a Fred and Max combination would be formidable.

With Leclerk I’m 50/50. I can see it going south and I can see it being beneficial to everyone. Alonso brings vast experience. This would be valuable to Leclerk. If they could work as teammates I really think they would make each other faster, but I don’t know either driver well enough to know if they would work together well. I think Alonso would appreciate being around a younger driver and the fresh motivation they carry that kinda simmers out after passing a decade of racing. The shine wears off everything eventually. If they could get along I think Ferrari would have a formidable line up. Championship contending without a doubt as I think Fred would be a considerably stronger offering than Seb, but that’s just my personal opinion.

To me the question remains what happens when Alonso and Leclerk are on and off the track. I definitely think they could make the other faster. I do think Leclerk has the maturity to work with Alonso. I’m just not as sure the other way around, and I really don’t like writing that because as a raw talent driver, I think Alonso still brings a mighty punch. It’s a shame his F1 career is likely over. He was always at the wrong team at the wrong time.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Andres125sx

Jolle wrote:
12 Jul 2019, 01:18
it was pretty clear that at least Zak Brown's vision or policy was "we have to keep Fernando happy", while the whole team was sitting with their armes crossed missing deadlines.
Good example of what I was trying to say... Do you really think the team was sitting with their arms crossed?

Keeping Fernando happy does not mean they will not do their job, you´re assuming McLaren are amateurs... #-o

If their PU supplier do not achieve any promised goal, he´ll be fired, same as drivers, same as any other team member, and same as any other supplier, with or without Fernando, and that´s what happened

epo
epo

I believe Mercedes will have a car for him next year :

Big Tea

Don't know about the wooden downforce tweak though
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mem

ending his relationship with mclaren and regretting honda gp2 engine comments
its like he saw all this terminator reboots , rambo , mission impossible or Schumacher monaco lap at 43 yo and say well why not