Todt wants to bring back refueling in 2021

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
strad

Re: Todt wants to bring back refueling in 2021

The engines have never been able to be run in qually mode for the entire race, even during refueling.
Wrong
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Jolle

strad wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 19:54
The engines have never been able to be run in qually mode for the entire race, even during refueling.
Wrong
Even at the height of refueling and unregulated engine life, they had to lower revs for the race to get to the end.

Williams with Schumacher and Montoya famously had multiple BMW V10 failures because the drivers kept pushing the OT button (which also gave the engine more revs).

NL_Fer

Silverstone was 18c this Sunday. Track hardly over 24c. Almost no tires overheating and it gave us great racing, 0,5s behind lap after lap. With refueling the tires will be less nursed and drivers can drive harder.

Maybe reduce tank size to 35kg. That would prevent to much strategy tinkering with fuel amounts.

strad

Jeeeez to me Michael and Juan are not the old V12 Ferrari Matra days.
Those are the days when it was turning down the wrong path IMO.
In the really good old days they drove the butts off.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

ENGINE TUNER

NL_Fer wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 23:33
Silverstone was 18c this Sunday. Track hardly over 24c. Almost no tires overheating and it gave us great racing, 0,5s behind lap after lap. With refueling the tires will be less nursed and drivers can drive harder.

Maybe reduce tank size to 35kg. That would prevent to much strategy tinkering with fuel amounts.
Or pirelli could just make better tires. Refueling is terrible for F1, it takes the action off the track and puts it into the pits.

astracrazy

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 18:06
astracrazy wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 14:18
We will never get drivers going flat out in this era because of the allocation engine rules
HAM won in Abu Dhabi with a 7 race old PU against drivers with much fresher PUs. HAM did it again in Monaco. The PU'S have absolutely NO effect on how hard the drivers are pushing during the race. The tires are what hold them back. The engines have never been able to be run in qually mode for the entire race, even during refueling.
Abu Dhabi : Last year when he had nothing to lose though and knowing that engine wouldn't be needed again?
Monaco : Where you could run with a GP2 engine and still not be overtaken?

I agree the tyres are the main factor but the power units are too. The focus is on reliability/costs with these engines. Give them double, for example, and they will be able to run on higher power modes longer and would be driving more "flat out" than they do now....

ENGINE TUNER

astracrazy wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 10:30

Abu Dhabi : Last year when he had nothing to lose though and knowing that engine wouldn't be needed again?
Monaco : Where you could run with a GP2 engine and still not be overtaken?

I agree the tyres are the main factor but the power units are too. The focus is on reliability/costs with these engines. Give them double, for example, and they will be able to run on higher power modes longer and would be driving more "flat out" than they do now....
The leader will always run on as low a mode as necessary. Did you hear 1 call for fuel or engine saving in silverstone? The PU regs are fine, F1 must focus on its aero and tire problems. Thankfully the tires are much improved this year.

zac510

If someone could just invent a metal that doesn't wear out, and a rubber that doesn't change elasticity with temperature, then all these problems would be solved!

roon

I assume you're joking but that is essentially what R&D would investigate free of certain regulations. Better materials, better construction, better theory and better application.

zac510

I am definitely joking. People that complain about cars that can't follow, engines being turned down and tyres that are sensitive are just complaining about the laws of physics, in my opinion.

bl4zar_

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
strad wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 00:15
Only Ferrari ran a v12 in 95, and they soon switched to v10.
Did you really think I didn't know that?
The Matra was a dinosaur as you call it as well but that doesn't change that they made beautiful music.
It's just noise, wasted energy, get over it, move on.
Totally agree, useless noises and wasted energy. Just like sex.

ENGINE TUNER

bl4zar_ wrote:
18 Jul 2019, 21:11
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
strad wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 00:15

Did you really think I didn't know that?
The Matra was a dinosaur as you call it as well but that doesn't change that they made beautiful music.
It's just noise, wasted energy, get over it, move on.
Totally agree, useless noises and wasted energy. Just like sex.
Were you not created by way of sex? Or are you a test tube baby?

michl420

Some say the cars should be more even to get better racing. In my opionion and my experience, it should be the other way round. The best racing is when there is a fast car on the straight vs. a fast car in Corners. The same is it with 1 stop vs. 2 or 3 stops. Of course, the difficult thing is to get 2 or more such cars. Also you should consider with the new aero, non-drs-overtaking would also favour more stops. In my opionion, fuel stops should be considered.

gibells

The fact is that the cars are just far far too large and heavy these days. How about this.. Have a maximum sized fuel tank. E.g. 60kg. If the team has an economical powertrain, then they may be able to go full distance pootling around. If not, they'd be able to rag it and use as many tyres as they want.

I think some of you are skewing arguments by saying the lack of overtaking in the past was down to lighter cars/shorter braking distances. The fact is it's total downforce that's to blame. I'd love them to remove the rear wing completely and have downforce created only by ground effects.

SiLo

Actually the braking distances were a bit bigger as they had less downforce. These days the braking distances are so short its harder to make a lunge. I think a big thing they could do is to build pit entrances that miss part of the track so the overall time lost is less. This way it's more likely they will stop for fresh tyres and kick start changes in the races as others react or not.
Felipe Baby!