A different form of BoP

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
henry

Re: A different form of BoP

I’d forgotten they switched cars in Wseries. I didn’t follow the series so I don’t know it had much effect.

According to the titles we are trying to measure two things. Best Team, WCC, and Best Driver, WDC. Because of the disparity of performance of the cars the reality is we measure only one, Best Team and allocate the other title to the better driver on that team.

I guess the intention of BOP measures is to reduce that disparity of performance of the cars but it still leaves the disparity in team performance. We see in spec series that although the cars are the same the teams are not.

Maybe there should be restrictions on team activities to balance performance. Restrict practise running and/or simulator use to reduce the ability of the top teams to optimise their performance. Maybe give the leading teams fewer tyres. Maybe constrain their communication bandwidth back to base. Maybe limit the number of performance engineers.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

izzy
izzy

henry wrote:
19 Aug 2019, 17:11
I’d forgotten they switched cars in Wseries. I didn’t follow the series so I don’t know it had much effect.

According to the titles we are trying to measure two things. Best Team, WCC, and Best Driver, WDC. Because of the disparity of performance of the cars the reality is we measure only one, Best Team and allocate the other title to the better driver on that team.

I guess the intention of BOP measures is to reduce that disparity of performance of the cars but it still leaves the disparity in team performance. We see in spec series that although the cars are the same the teams are not.

Maybe there should be restrictions on team activities to balance performance. Restrict practise running and/or simulator use to reduce the ability of the top teams to optimise their performance. Maybe give the leading teams fewer tyres. Maybe constrain their communication bandwidth back to base. Maybe limit the number of performance engineers.
The thing for me is we don't actually want to KNOW, do we? Once we know, that's it, game over, got the answer. But we don't want a simple answer we need it complicated, so each race adds something new to the equation and we have lots of factors to weigh up and argue about :)

So I prefer to have the teams and drivers mixed together and I like the best to BE the best not get hampered in some way. Teams that get out of date have to lose, for example. When Ron and Frank hang in there too long it all goes downhill. They end up with the worst/cheapest/least experienced drivers as well as having correlation problems and No Grip, but then they can rebuild with Andreas Seidl and so on, and Carlos and Lando are part of that I wouldn't want them separate, and we get the culture of the team, and so Seb being called "Vettel" by his TP while Max and Lewis are coddled in their respective team lovefests, it's all holistic

Of course we're talking about it in this ridiculous situation Bernie created where F1 costs the top 3 teams hardly anything while they spend the most money! But once (hopefully) Liberty fix the distribution the rest of it will fall into place imo

El Scorchio

TAG wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 16:23
In sports like Basketball, Baseball the teams with the worst records are allowed first round picks of the next gen athletes coming up through the system. Can't effectively copy that model for drivers but there's no reason why the FiA or F1 couldn't have a bucket of money available to the... let's say three bottom teams that would be a communal CFD, CAD and an extra test date or two throughout a season.

Something as simple as the bottom three teams from the previous year are allowed an extra test day at the beginning of the season and during the middle of the season, as well at the additional computer time. Simple, cheap and guaranteed results.
I think there's something in this. More testing or development time for the team who finishes bottom, and each team gets incrementally less, by the order of where they finished in last year's WCC. You could also have maximum spend/budget for the upcoming season depending on WCC finish, or be allowed more engine parts or gearboxes, or development upgrades. I realise some of this does slightly go against cost cutting so might be slightly flawed, but in principle one or a combination of these allows the bottom teams more of an opportunity to catch up and maybe gears the system a little more toward equilibrium.

Not sure you'd get the red, silver and bovine teams to agree to any of it though.

Big Tea

El Scorchio wrote:
20 Aug 2019, 02:44
TAG wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 16:23
In sports like Basketball, Baseball the teams with the worst records are allowed first round picks of the next gen athletes coming up through the system. Can't effectively copy that model for drivers but there's no reason why the FiA or F1 couldn't have a bucket of money available to the... let's say three bottom teams that would be a communal CFD, CAD and an extra test date or two throughout a season.

Something as simple as the bottom three teams from the previous year are allowed an extra test day at the beginning of the season and during the middle of the season, as well at the additional computer time. Simple, cheap and guaranteed results.
I think there's something in this. More testing or development time for the team who finishes bottom, and each team gets incrementally less, by the order of where they finished in last year's WCC. You could also have maximum spend/budget for the upcoming season depending on WCC finish, or be allowed more engine parts or gearboxes, or development upgrades. I realise some of this does slightly go against cost cutting so might be slightly flawed, but in principle one or a combination of these allows the bottom teams more of an opportunity to catch up and maybe gears the system a little more toward equilibrium.

Not sure you'd get the red, silver and bovine teams to agree to any of it though.

I do not know how this would fit in with covering the cost. The rich teams can cough up for a test, and the lower teams join in, but if they were not there would the low teams test anyway?
Maybe they could 'test' new venues as a separate race to prove the track etc, but would people come to watch without Merc Ferrari and RBR there?

Unless the fia fund the test days out of the 'pot'
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.