Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Scorpaguy
Scorpaguy
15
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:05 am

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

raymondu999 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:34 pm
https://the-race.com/formula-1/ferrari- ... -contract/

If this is true, then I feel Seb was hard done by a bit in terms of how late he was told by the team. Also means he wasnt actually keen on leaving as some thought.
...in retrospect/hindsight being 20-20, I am unsure if I can remember seeing Vet looking happy/pleased under Bino. Vet seemed far more jovial under Arri. So all of this is starting to make sense now. Furthermore, recognizing that predictions are hard, especially about the future (Berra)...I believe we could be witnessing the beginning of a monumental performance downturn for Big Red...I do not see the new Drivers/rules package benefiting the Horse in any way (and not disparaging Lec/Sainz).

zeph
zeph
65
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:54 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

Scorpaguy wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:47 pm
raymondu999 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:34 pm
https://the-race.com/formula-1/ferrari- ... -contract/

If this is true, then I feel Seb was hard done by a bit in terms of how late he was told by the team. Also means he wasnt actually keen on leaving as some thought.
...in retrospect/hindsight being 20-20, I am unsure if I can remember seeing Vet looking happy/pleased under Bino. Vet seemed far more jovial under Arri. So all of this is starting to make sense now. Furthermore, recognizing that predictions are hard, especially about the future (Berra)...I believe we could be witnessing the beginning of a monumental performance downturn for Big Red...I do not see the new Drivers/rules package benefiting the Horse in any way (and not disparaging Lec/Sainz).
Under Arrivabene he had Kimi Raikkonen as a solid number two who never meaningfully challenged him, at least not until he was given the sack.

edit:

Random thought, just like Raikkonen started outperforming Vettel when he knew he was on the way out, wouldn’t it be delicious if Vettel comprehensively beats Leclerc if what’s left of this season ever gets going?

toraabe
toraabe
16
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:42 am

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

Vettel to Renault. He knows those guys prettty well. . His only option

User avatar
F1Krof
62
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:17 pm

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

Actually Perez to Renault and Vet to RP makes alot of sense if it weren't for Ocon. And you know what happened last time Ocon and Perez were on the same team.

I see only retirment for Vettel, which is sad, no German driver on a season first time ever?
Wroom wroom

User avatar
raymondu999
150
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:31 am

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

toraabe wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:12 am
Vettel to Renault. He knows those guys prettty well. . His only option
How does he know them?

I’ve heard rumors of Lawrence Stroll pitching an Aston Martin grand master plan to Vettel, the way Brawn/Lauda did in 2012 to Hamilton. But who knows.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Macklaren
Macklaren
20
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

It feels like when the musical chairs finally stop , the two guys sitting on the sidelines are going to be Vettel and Bottas. Mercedes really sticks out amongst all the names (except Haas) as not having a "young" driver in the lineup. I'd be shocked if Russell is not alongside Hamilton for 2021 esp. given Russell's recent "jealous" comments. I dont know if Bottas wants to "mentor" Latifi at Williams and may well be forced to call it a day. Which then raises the question - how long can Kimi go on?

Scorpaguy
Scorpaguy
15
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:05 am

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

Hmmmm...makes me wonder if Ham has the final/very significant say over his teammate. If so, the 2 may be a package deal as Bot has very polite track manners and poses no real threat 90% of the time...a young gun would likely make riskier moves. Thus, maybe Bot is safe as long as Ham stays.

...as for Kimi, I cannot believe he came back after that fiasco they call a second half of the season. Actually, I cannot believe he came back after the yellow tire tragicomedy (although his "cool-down" may have been his fastest lap of the year :shock: ).

toraabe
toraabe
16
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:42 am

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

raymondu999 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:21 am
toraabe wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:12 am
Vettel to Renault. He knows those guys prettty well. . His only option
How does he know them?

I’ve heard rumors of Lawrence Stroll pitching an Aston Martin grand master plan to Vettel, the way Brawn/Lauda did in 2012 to Hamilton. But who knows.
Who did deliver the engines to Red bull until 2018 ? Renault

So he knows the guys from Renault pretty well.
And at last their engine is as good as the rest ;)

User avatar
Racer X
8
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:04 pm

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

toraabe wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:38 pm
raymondu999 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:21 am
toraabe wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:12 am
Vettel to Renault. He knows those guys prettty well. . His only option
How does he know them?

I’ve heard rumors of Lawrence Stroll pitching an Aston Martin grand master plan to Vettel, the way Brawn/Lauda did in 2012 to Hamilton. But who knows.
Who did deliver the engines to Red bull until 2018 ? Renault

So he knows the guys from Renault pretty well.
And at last their engine is as good as the rest ;)
It seems to me like some one somewhere would need to be willing to screw a current driver to keep Vettel in the sport.
PINK//BLM//MERCEDES
"I learned a lot from him" _Grosjean on Maldonado'.

Sevach
Sevach
854
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

Scorpaguy wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:56 pm
Hmmmm...makes me wonder if Ham has the final/very significant say over his teammate. If so, the 2 may be a package deal as Bot has very polite track manners and poses no real threat 90% of the time...a young gun would likely make riskier moves. Thus, maybe Bot is safe as long as Ham stays.

...as for Kimi, I cannot believe he came back after that fiasco they call a second half of the season. Actually, I cannot believe he came back after the yellow tire tragicomedy (although his "cool-down" may have been his fastest lap of the year :shock: ).
I don't think he has final say, i do think they have been accomodating to him and it has delivered great results.
This will only change if they lose or if Verstappen becomes available.

User avatar
langedweil
8
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:51 pm
Location: Caribbean

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

Apparently RP made clear it's Stroll & Perez until 2022, which makes Renault the only option for Vettel ..

Ringleheim
Ringleheim
8
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:02 am

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

langedweil wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:30 pm
Apparently RP made clear it's Stroll & Perez until 2022, which makes Renault the only option for Vettel ..
I would be shocked if Vettel did something like move over to a team like Renault (i.e., zero chance of accomplishing anything, guaranteed) at a highly reduced salary to what he is used to.

Not as a low-key family man with 3 kids at age 33 (soon).

He's done with F1 IMO.

notsofast
notsofast
7
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:56 am

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

Scorpaguy wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:47 pm
hindsight being 20-20
I wish 2020 were hindsight.
Ringleheim wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:02 pm
He's done with F1 IMO.
I hope he's not done with F1, but he probably won't be in a race car.

Isn't it weird that we're talking about the 2021 driver lineup while the 2020 season hasn't started yet? Why not make the changes now. What motivation do Vettel, Sainz, and Ricciardo have in their current cars?

User avatar
raymondu999
150
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:31 am

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

langedweil wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:30 pm
Apparently RP made clear it's Stroll & Perez until 2022, which makes Renault the only option for Vettel ..
Up until Melbourne of (forgot what year) Caterham also made if clear Trulli would drive their car. That aged real well real fast
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Scorpaguy
Scorpaguy
15
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:05 am

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

...bold 2021 silly season prediction. Alonso gets a seat with a respectable team. Not in F1...in NASCAR.