Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
adrianjordan

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Scorpaguy wrote: ↑
06 Jun 2020, 16:12
With another 30 days to race #1...an uncertain "season" thereafter...the 2020 season stands to be nothing more than an asterisks. If we see an October covid resurgence, 2021 could become a 16-18 car grid of teams with varying degrees of interest/sustainability in an equally odd season. Eventually, even the rich manufacturers will have bottom lines to balance. It seems possible that 2022 could be the most dramatically different season we have ever seen...with rich, established drivers being outmoded on all fronts...young, fast kids too ill-funded to find a drive...waning numbers of daddy-funded teams. F1 race fees may be unrealistic in many venues...leaving an inadequate number of dates. F1 as it existed pre-covid, may be a decade or more away.

Chase Carey has to be losing sleep. Bernie...we may have not seen the last of him.
October??

The NHS is still preparing for (and to some extent expecting based on current social behaviour of the public) a second wave in late June or July!!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

NathanOlder

Yeah, there will almost certainly be a second wave, especially with all these protests going on and thousands of people cramming themselves in to small areas with no respect for social distancing.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Big Tea

NathanOlder wrote: ↑
07 Jun 2020, 10:20
Yeah, there will almost certainly be a second wave, especially with all these protests going on and thousands of people cramming themselves in to small areas with no respect for social distancing.
I see the danger of the second wave coming from people 'moving in different circles' as much as anything else.
Where I live, we have had a low number comparative to cities, but we are a holiday town and population easily quadruples on a nice weekend, and most of the influx is from cities where the numbers have been high.
The 'Herd immunity' will have kicked in in some areas and not in others. Add this to the rise in population density and mixing circles and it looks to be a big risk.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Scorpaguy

25C/80F is not going to be a game ender, but it does seem to be at least detrimental to covid's transmission rate ( have no idea as to what India's temps are though). If the southern hemisphere begins to peak in their winter...major "troubles". The daily case load bell curve has not peaked (although the death rate has..for now).

As of now, USA, Mex, Brazil could not host a race. To quote Churchill, "this is not the beginning of the end". I still believe we are about to see driver/team musical chairs like we have never seen...this season and next.

nacho
nacho

The lower transmission in higher temperatures might be because people spend more time outside and not inside where risk of infection is a lot higher.

In Ecuador and Manaus there has been horrifying situation with infections and they are pretty much on the equator.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Scorpaguy wrote: ↑
07 Jun 2020, 23:40
25C/80F is not going to be a game ender, but it does seem to be at least detrimental to covid's transmission rate ( have no idea as to what India's temps are though).
The UK had a spell of warm weather during our lockdown and temperatures were around that sort of figure. Not sure if it helped or not, although it did mean people probably spent lots of time in their gardens which might have been a benefit anyway. Ironically, now our lockdown has ended (in effect), temperatures have dropped and the weather become more typically British. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

Insolation (incidence of sunlight) kills it faster too. So non sunny countries might not benefit that much with increased temperatures.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Big Tea

Is it OK if I post this link here?

https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease ... th-busters

It mentions temp and whether conditions among other things.

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

Big Tea wrote: ↑
08 Jun 2020, 22:21
"Exposing yourself to the sun or to temperatures higher than 25C degrees DOES NOT prevent the coronavirus disease (COVID-19)"

Finland is doing very well and they take regular saunas. Suck on that WHO. /s

Big Tea

3jawchuck wrote: ↑
08 Jun 2020, 22:28
08 Jun 2020, 22:21
"Exposing yourself to the sun or to temperatures higher than 25C degrees DOES NOT prevent the coronavirus disease (COVID-19)"

Finland is doing very well and they take regular saunas. Suck on that WHO. /s
I am putting my money (literally :mrgreen: ) on the medical alcohol and recreational alcohol dual front defence.
Everything that comes in is sprayed and wiped with 99% IPA and just to be sure there is none inside I use a highly diluted version with added flavour, and as an extra precaution taken at low temperature while I sit in the sun.

If it does no good,I dont care :twisted:

nacho
nacho

Finnish people dropped their contacts by 75% when the pandemic started and the amount of contacts in Finland is already lower than most countries.

raymondu999

nacho wrote: ↑
08 Jun 2020, 23:09
Finnish people dropped their contacts by 75% when the pandemic started and the amount of contacts in Finland is already lower than most countries.
They went from 4 a week to 1 a week? :P
ε€±θ΄₯θ€…ζ‰Ύη†η”±οΌŒζˆεŠŸθ€…ζ‰Ύζ–Ήζ³•

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

My original comment was pretty tongue in cheek. One can't tell tone in text though. You'd think I'd have learned that by now :D

Weekly shop today and it genuinely looks like it did before all this started. Nobody distancing, nobody that I could see using the provided hand sanitiser. Really crowded shop too. I dunno what changed between now and last week when it was as you'd expect for the current circumstances.

Big Tea

10 Jun 2020, 12:58
My original comment was pretty tongue in cheek. One can't tell tone in text though. You'd think I'd have learned that by now :D

Weekly shop today and it genuinely looks like it did before all this started. Nobody distancing, nobody that I could see using the provided hand sanitiser. Really crowded shop too. I dunno what changed between now and last week when it was as you'd expect for the current circumstances.
This weeks results are from behaviour of two weeks ago, what we do now will show as the spike in 2 weeks time

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

10 Jun 2020, 13:29
10 Jun 2020, 12:58
This weeks results are from behaviour of two weeks ago, what we do now will show as the spike in 2 weeks time
Did I say otherwise?