Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Racer X

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Steiner on Ferrari: "If the engine doesn't get better F...(engines)"
In the coming year he expects increases or? will they search for an alternative?

(Translated to English by a website so it might be wrong i dont speak German.)

AND

Steiner: No discussions with Hulkenberg at the moment
There are a few other headlines in that site. But those struck me as silly season gossip so i only quoted those 2.
Dude next time put a but of context to your link lol... Maybe?
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

NathanOlder

Jolle wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 19:41
Big Tea wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 18:56
NathanOlder wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 18:54
Surely Perez's money can easily pay off Russell. and then you can have Perez sign a 2yr or 3yr deal. So they have the Perez money for a few years and a very strong driver for a few years too. If they stick with Russell, they have a very strong driver for 1 year, then they have nothing and have to hope bdor a top driver. Right now Perez is probably desperate, so they should take full advantage of that.
How would they stand with Merc engines then though? Or are that considering Renault?
Other possibility: have Russell with Mercedes money and PU racing for 2021 and Perez as a third driver, with a guaranteed drive in 2022. That way Williams losses are minimal.
True, but that runs the risk of another seat being available further up the grid. Would Perez commit to Williams when other seats will open up. As an example Renault would have a seat.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Manoah2u

Racer X wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 08:26
Steiner on Ferrari: "If the engine doesn't get better F...(engines)"
In the coming year he expects increases or? will they search for an alternative?

(Translated to English by a website so it might be wrong i dont speak German.)

AND

Steiner: No discussions with Hulkenberg at the moment
There are a few other headlines in that site. But those struck me as silly season gossip so i only quoted those 2.
Dude next time put a but of context to your link lol... Maybe?
Yeah that's basically it.

Steiner mentioned before they won't just throw Ferrari in the bin, but it's obvious that if the engine causes them to be in a bad position, they'll have to make a decision. Whether that'll be Renault or Mercedes would be an interesting question, but I think personally it's going to be Renault power.

More interesting to me would be Hulkenberg. I would have expected them to be in discussion with him, but it seems like that he's not concidered. As metnioned, I think RedBull is concidering Perez and Hulkenberg. I think Perez would be the more interesting choice, but i still stand that I believe Perez would be better off being @ HAAS with a good deal, even though RBR can grant him a win, so that's still a big question there. Hulkenberg @ RBR would be interesting as he is very experienced, he is fast, but i don't think he's as fast as Perez and to me would be the 'lesser' choice. On the other side of the coin, Hulk is 'befriended' with Max and can even speak Dutch. Hulkenberg would definately bring a good relationship to the team. I was also surprised reading that RedBull concidered replacing Albon with Hulkenberg for the Eifel GP since there was a risk of him not being able to race. Neither Perez nor Hulk have won a GP so it's even in that respect, and it would be interesting to see Hulk grab his first win with RBR.

I am still a bit surprised Haas is not 'talking' to Hulk though, I think he would be an absolute asset to the team.

What i'd concider the biggest question growing right now is what will happen with Albon. I believe - perhaps mistakenly though - that Gasly will go nowhere else. So that's a seat fixed. However, if either Perez or Hulk replaces Albon @ RBR (which i increasingly believe), then it's Albon out @ RBR, back to AlphaTauri.
HOWEVER, it's also growing in reports that, despite Honda Leaving, Tsunoda is going to get a driving seat @ AlphaTauri.

so will that mean that Albon will get completely dumped? Or will we see Albon demoted to AlphaTauri, replaceing Kvyat, and will Albon replace Gasly, and will Gasly be dumped? That would be pretty remarkable.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

LHamilton

Just some random thoughts;

I think Hulkenberg has a decent chance at being back in F1 next year, in one of three teams; Red Bull, Alpha Tauri or HAAS.

In regards to HAAS, I kinda get a feeling of they might wait to see if Hulkenberg gets the drive somewhere else (RB/AT) before deciding on their drivers. Hulkenberg would suit HAAS really good in terms of having a good, experienced driver to lead to team forward with a rookie (Mazepin?) along side him, who also brings money. If Hulkenberg is not an option for HAAS, i'm not suprised about the Schumacher rumours flying around since you would believe that he is the most "experienced"/knowedgeble of the rookies from F2. Perhaps i'm wrong in saying that. With having the Schumacher 'brand', you would expected him to been having picked some things along the way during his junior career that other F2 drivers might not have been privilged to.

I struggle to see HAAS going into next year with two rookies (unless one of them is Mick) since 2022 is around the corner. And if Hulkenberg is not an option for any reason, there are other good experienced drivers to get; Perez for instance. Getting that experienced driver (or retaining one of Grosjean/Mag) would be very valueble to HAAS. Or else they risk jumping into the unknown in regards to driver feedback.

When it comes to Alpha Tauri drive, people might be a little bit confused as to why I would put them as an option for Hulkenberg. Well, it all stems from Red Bull decision on Albon. Do they think he is up for it or not? If they are still insecure about that, they might wanna put Hulkenberg in the sister team to have some sort of insurances, and they get to take a closer look on Hulkenberg versus perhaps Gasly (unless the Renault rumours are to be true). If Tsunoda wasn't to be able to get a Super License, this wouldn't be bad of an option, or even if he did. Tsunoda could just do one more year in F2 to develop, or, get him a reserve driver. (Maybe even a drive if Gasly moves along.)

The Red Bull drive is perhaps the most talked about, but if they were to change, or even not change without any backup plan, Red Bull might risk looking foolish. There is no guarentee that Hulkenberg would the job in Red Bull (even thought i personally think he would) and if they are still undecided about Albon going in to next year, it might be the best play to put Hulkenberg in the Alpha Tauri. You sort of get "the best of both worlds". You do not change to quickly, you can say that you've given Albon plenty of time. And you get to see Hulkenberg first hand. Red Bull has already kinda 'chopped and changed' a bit, and for some it might look bad if they were to do it again and it not working. So they might look to change only as a last option just because of that. The only thing that is the stumbling block in regards to Hulkenberg to AT, is that AT has always been the "young drivers team", and well, Hulkenberg isn't really young. At least not in numbers :).

What has been said about Hulkenberg could be said about someone like Perez as well, if RB/HAAS decides to go in that direction instead.

Racer X

NathanOlder wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 09:01
Jolle wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 19:41
Big Tea wrote:
19 Oct 2020, 18:56

How would they stand with Merc engines then though? Or are that considering Renault?
Other possibility: have Russell with Mercedes money and PU racing for 2021 and Perez as a third driver, with a guaranteed drive in 2022. That way Williams losses are minimal.
True, but that runs the risk of another seat being available further up the grid. Would Perez commit to Williams when other seats will open up. As an example Renault would have a seat.
If this is happening Perez would not wait for George like that. If the Williams things are true its Perez in and some one else out. He was just screwed the exact same way and he took it like a man he was polite and understood that its business so what ever ethics he might have had. Are now gone hes not going to wait for George.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

PlatinumZealot

I don't see Schumacher going to Haas. There is nothing for Ferrari to gain by placing him there. At Alfa Romeo he has the perfect model in Kimi; knowledge from Ferrari Champion right there in the other car.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ScottB

I can't see anyone at Alpha Tauri that isn't a Red Bull Driver, in the mix they've got Gasly, Kyvat, Albon and Tsunoda. Hell even Vips might get a superlicence thanks to the FIA changing the rules for this year, though hopefully he gets another yeah in F2 / SF before they try and move him up.

It's quite tough to figure out right now, like, Albon could be at RBR, could be at AT, could be out of F1 altogether. We've suddenly got a bunch of rumours flying around that seem tenuous, but hey, it's 2020, all bets are off.

Would Hulk or Perez be a better bet at RBR than Albon? Maybe, maybe not, though they might provide some certainty. Both are known quantities, the team's, with their access to all the data etc likely know what they'd be getting with them, whereas I guess when Alex, and previously Pierre, arrived at RBR, both where pretty fresh. Are they just underperforming? Do they not have it? Or is that RBR a nightmare that only Max can handle? Maybe sticking in a safe pair of hands isn't a bad plan, if Hulk or Perez goes there and also struggles, or goes there and consistently runs a few tenths of Max, either way, it answers some questions for Red Bull. Perez's wallet probably isn't unattractive with Aston sponsorship out, Honda money leaving and potentially an engine programme to fund.

Schumi Jnr to Alfa has been a consistent rumour for ages now, right up to him sadly missing out on an FP1 run last weekend. I'm struggling to see how the new chat of him to Haas has developed in that timeframe, particularly paired with Ferrari apparently leaving Giovinazzi in the seat they control. Wouldn't make any sense, Gio is never going to be a Ferrari driver, they've got talented rookies coming out their ears in Maranello, so that doesn't add up to me. Even if Mick went to Haas, wouldn't they be putting Ilott or Schwarzman in the Alfa?

Mazepin to Haas I can believe, sadly, as after his pretty questionably homophobic nonsense towards George Russell I'd prefer him not to get a seat, but he certainly has the cash. Personally I'd like to see 1 of Hulk / Perez paired with Ilott.

Russell leaving Williams sounds nuts, makes no sense to **** off Mercedes, no sense to get rid of the team's best driver and media darling. It's come from somewhere as a story, but maybe more Perez's people trying to buy leverage elsewhere, as surely not... But as said, it's 2020, so god knows.

Wouter

https://soymotor.com/noticias/grosjean- ... 021-981494

Grosjean and Magnussen will not continue with Haas in 2021

17Raymond Blancafort | 20 Oct 2020 - 15:21

Haas has decided to dispense with its two current drivers, Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen, for its 2021 driver line-up.
The team has already informed both of them and an official announcement is expected even before the Portuguese Grand Prix.
Finally, as SoyMotor.com has learned, the decision has been clear and drastic.
The Power of Dreams!

NL_Fer

Grosjean will show up in Formula E or WEC probably. Magnussen is pretty “consistent” maybe another year at ... hmmm yeah no other team for him. Probably NASCAR suits his driving style better.

Holm86

Wouter wrote:
20 Oct 2020, 17:30
https://soymotor.com/noticias/grosjean- ... 021-981494

Grosjean and Magnussen will not continue with Haas in 2021

17Raymond Blancafort | 20 Oct 2020 - 15:21

Haas has decided to dispense with its two current drivers, Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen, for its 2021 driver line-up.
The team has already informed both of them and an official announcement is expected even before the Portuguese Grand Prix.
Finally, as SoyMotor.com has learned, the decision has been clear and drastic.
Yeah, Haas seems to really need some pay drivers ...
I'd love to see Magnussen at RedBull instead of Albon, he is probably the best starter on the grid, and he has the speed, just difficult to show your potential in a Haas that's been trash the last year's. Even though I know it's completely unrealistic ...

Manoah2u

Albon has shown he is incapable, he should have had that RBR at podium area, he's miles off. He's arguably worse than Bottas in the Merc, which to me just shows that indeed, it's not just the car that makes the championship. That said, Magnussen despite back then being a rookie didn't do much good in the Mclaren either. I think his podium @Mclaren is comparable as the podium Albon managed with RBR. I'd concider both of similar 'potential', with the difference that KMag is far more experienced and matured, and Albon much more sensitive and as such being able to be influenced. Neither will be a step forward. I think they're both VanDoorne types. All better than Palmer for example, but let's concider them midfield drivers. The second RBR seat needs drivers like Ricciardo, Raikkonen, Verstappen, Hamilton, yes even Bottas, Rosberg, Vettel, Norris, Sainz, and probably Perez. Probably Russell too, but it's hard to judge him yet. Which drivers are left then that are 'on it's way'? Perhaps Mick Schumacher, but to be honest, I rather think he's going to be like Bruno Senna. Good, but not probably simply not good enough.

On a side note though, I think Bruno deserved and should have stayed in F1 much more time and see his real potential.
People tend to forget he left motorsports for almost a decade or so, and then suddenly came back and found his way rapid into the F1 field.
IMHO that was pretty impressive, regardless of his famous heritage.
Also, he also ran into bad luck, being replaced and replaced by being at the wrong place at the wrong time.
The saddest part of it is he was meant to debut in 2009 @ BrawnGP (Honda), had Brawn decided to keep him instead of replace him with Rubens,
things would have went down probably a lot different, and we might even have seen Bruno Senna go for the WDC, atleast he would have been P2.
That would have given him plenty of picks to choose from. Perhaps he himself could have gone to Mclaren alongside Hamilton, which surely would
have tested his capabilities to the fullest. I still think if he really was anywhere as good, it would have shown, but who knows.
I have huge doubts he was replaced because he didn't have the talent, rather because he did not bring enough sponsor money or a big 'wallet',
and there was no room for him @ RedBull/ToroRosso. Guys like Kobayashi also got ditched because of their lack of dough in their Wallet.

If I had to pick two drivers in the past decade that i would have wanted to see stay in F1 longer to see their 'true' potential, it would have been
Bruno Senna and Kamui Kobayashi. Two of the biggest losses we had in F1 imho, due to no reason but sponsorship money.

Instead, we got a guy like Kevin Magnussen @ Mclaren. We've had a Palmer in a Renault. We had a Ericsson @ Sauber. We had a Guiterrez @ Sauber.
We had Hartley @ Toro Rosso. We've had Sirotkin @ Williams. We have Stroll. We have Latifi. We've had Grosjean for YEARS!!!! in F1. And it's a matter
of time when Mazepin will join the daddy-son business cahoots in F1.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

DChemTech

Manoah2u wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 10:12
Albon has shown he is incapable, he should have had that RBR at podium area, he's miles off. He's arguably worse than Bottas in the Merc, which to me just shows that indeed, it's not just the car that makes the championship. That said, Magnussen despite back then being a rookie didn't do much good in the Mclaren either. I think his podium @Mclaren is comparable as the podium Albon managed with RBR. I'd concider both of similar 'potential', with the difference that KMag is far more experienced and matured, and Albon much more sensitive and as such being able to be influenced. Neither will be a step forward. I think they're both VanDoorne types. All better than Palmer for example, but let's concider them midfield drivers. The second RBR seat needs drivers like Ricciardo, Raikkonen, Verstappen, Hamilton, yes even Bottas, Rosberg, Vettel, Norris, Sainz, and probably Perez. Probably Russell too, but it's hard to judge him yet. Which drivers are left then that are 'on it's way'? Perhaps Mick Schumacher, but to be honest, I rather think he's going to be like Bruno Senna. Good, but not probably simply not good enough.

On a side note though, I think Bruno deserved and should have stayed in F1 much more time and see his real potential.
People tend to forget he left motorsports for almost a decade or so, and then suddenly came back and found his way rapid into the F1 field.
Also, he also ran into bad luck, being replaced and replaced by being at the wrong place at the wrong time.
The saddest part of it is he was meant to debut in 2009 @ BrawnGP (Honda), had Brawn decided to keep him instead of replace him with Rubens,
things would have went down probably a lot different, and we might even have seen Bruno Senna go for the WDC, atleast he would have been P2.
That would have given him plenty of picks to choose from. Perhaps he himself could have gone to Mclaren alongside Hamilton, which surely would
have tested his capabilities to the fullest. I still think if he really was anywhere as good, it would have shown, but who knows.
I have huge doubts he was replaced because he didn't have the talent, rather because he did not bring enough sponsor money or a big 'wallet',
and there was no room for him @ RedBull/ToroRosso. Guys like Kobayashi also got ditched because of their lack of dough in their Wallet.

If I had to pick two drivers in the past decade that i would have wanted to see stay in F1 longer to see their 'true' potential, it would have been
Bruno Senna and Kamui Kobayashi. Two of the biggest losses we had in F1 imho, due to no reason but sponsorship money.

Instead, we got a guy like Kevin Magnussen @ Mclaren. We've had a Palmer in a Renault. We had a Ericsson @ Sauber. We had a Guiterrez @ Sauber.
We had Hartley @ Toro Rosso. We've had Sirotkin @ Williams. We have Stroll. We have Latifi. We've had Grosjean for YEARS!!!! in F1. And it's a matter
I think that's a bit harsh on Kevin. He did end royally behind Button in the overall points, but the McLaren wasn't exactly a top car that year. Button and Kmag had an equal number of podiums (1). Compare that with Albon vs. Max now - Max ended every race that he did not retire on the podium, including one win. Albon scored a podium once so far. Not saying Kmag is a great driver, but he's not as terrible as you make it sound I think.

Big Tea

Manoah2u wrote:
21 Oct 2020, 10:12

Although he had a bad rep at the time, I wonder how Chilton would have done had he got a mid field drive.
I often thought I saw something there. I think his worst chop was the team telling him not to crash it as they could not replace the parts. He must have been driving well within himself at all times in a very bad car.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

MtthsMlw

Russell loosing his seat cause Perez money™?
https://racer.com/2020/10/21/perez-a-ca ... er-threat/