Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
gshevlin

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

None of the back of the grid teams will sign Nico Hulkenberg. He actually, you know, wants to be paid for his work.

koenigzig

Hulk shouldn't consider them either, imo if he wants back in it should be with a team that ll give him a shot at a podium. Hopefully Red Bull
PM me if you're interested in joining an F1 2021 or Assetta Corsa Competizione league on Xbox

Racer X

Albon really didn't make his case today for why he should be kept.
On the other hand Pérez....
Wow amazing yeah I don't think Hulkenberg is going to be in F1 at all.

If the back of the grid doesn't want Hulk.
Why would the front of the grid?

Because I think if RedBull doesn't take Perez.

They probably won't take Hulk over Gasly.

Portimao just highlighted Perez/Gasly'.
Last edited by Racer X on 25 Oct 2020, 21:46, edited 2 times in total.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

selvam_e2002

If you want to win WDC and WCC, you need a driver par with Max, so go with Perez instead of Hulk.

ringo

Yes Perez is race ready and sharp. Hulk just has a few races this year and no evidence of fighting for wins. Perez has in fact fought for wins and podiums, plus he brings money.

redbull: vertsappen , perez
torro rosso: gasly, and japanese driver
Hass: giovanizi, youngster with $$
Alfa: Kimi, Mick Shumacher

Williams is anyones guess. but i feel mercedes will ensure Russel stays.
For Sure!!

DChemTech

Racer X wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 17:24

If the back of the grid doesn't want him. Also if the back of the grid doesn't want Hulk.

As I mentioned before, I think hulk would still be a better pairing in that RB needs a driver that is willing to settle for 2nd in their ambitions with max, and well, just don't see Perez doing that. But no doubt the man was fire today and he deserves to be at the grid. I suppose some people at RP are frowning that they let this guy go for Vettel. But who knows, maybe if Vettel bombs, Perez is back at RP after a year. Or Hulk gets a chance there after all, they seem to be quite happy with his stand-in performances, including car development advice he gave in those stints.

6 of 12

selvam_e2002 wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 17:39
If you want to win WDC and WCC, you need a driver par with Max, so go with Perez instead of Hulk.
LOL
No, Kimi, no. You will not have the drink.

NathanOlder

ringo wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 18:56
Yes Perez is race ready and sharp. Hulk just has a few races this year and no evidence of fighting for wins. Perez has in fact fought for wins and podiums, plus he brings money.

redbull: vertsappen , perez
torro rosso: gasly, and japanese driver
Hass: giovanizi, youngster with $$
Alfa: Kimi, Mick Shumacher

Williams is anyones guess. but i feel mercedes will ensure Russel stays.
To be fair, Hulk did come as close to winning as Sergio. Both in the same year they were in with a chance of winning. Both with about 15 laps to go, Hulk went for it and crashed in to the leader. Perez just sat there and didn't want to annoy Ferrari.

I do agree though, Perez better than Hulk.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jolle

TechAddict wrote:
23 Oct 2020, 20:10
I hope all your praise for young wunderboy Russel sticks. Remember his teammates!!

He has been made to look good. Many other drivers entering and exiting again have had way harder times with their teammates. I can make a list of 20 drivers we all thought was the next big thing, but weren’t. And now we look at Russel, Norris, Leclerc, Saints, Ocon. But what has Norris done, Kevin didn’t do in his first years at McLaren. He has a lot of the same results in comparable equipment. But he is not driving against a former WDC. And how can we judge Verstappens teammates? To me Albon can be just as good a driver as Russel, Leclerc and Norris. But he can be out of F1 at the end of 2020. :!:

In all my years watching F1 30+ years. The only ones that really stood out (from 1990 onwards) without doubt are Senna, Schumi, Alonso, Kimi, Vettel, Hamilton and Verstappen. And maybe the last two the most. The others could be beat or made to look bad if not in rythm, missig confidence or in the wrong equipment.

I have been watching F2 a lot and all though there are lots of talent, the standing is as much down to team and luck as it is talent. Many of the good drivers are beeing crashed out by others on occasion. Can all here honestly say that Mick is the best driver in F2. I say top 5 are talented, but it is impossible to rate them. And most likely one of the 5 is still in F1 in 5 years, but there is a good chance it is not the best driver of the lot.
I've been closely watching F1 from the late eighties as well. But, I've seen a difference the last few years in the judgment of talent. "In the old days", when cars, especially the midfield cars, weren't very balanced a talent as Senna or Schumacher stood out inmiduatly. As cars across the grid get more and more predictable to drive the difference between exceptional talent and "just another driver" isn't that obvious. If you look at the two most recent supertalent, Leclerc and Verstappen, both undisputed fast and clearly the future for F1, they didn't stand out in a way as their predecessors decades before.

Last year the Williams was a terrible car, very unstable. This year, looking at the giant wing they had to put on at Monza, without a working floor. With this car he managed to out qualify all of the Ferrari engined cars except for Leclerc. Of course, the line between greatness and being the next Coultard is just a tenth and who knows....

Jolle

Hulk is a nice guy... but the statistics are not in his favour. Outscored plenty of times by several teammates and of course that record of the most GP without a podium.

PlatinumZealot

DChemTech wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 19:25
Racer X wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 17:24

If the back of the grid doesn't want him. Also if the back of the grid doesn't want Hulk.

As I mentioned before, I think hulk would still be a better pairing in that RB needs a driver that is willing to settle for 2nd in their ambitions with max, and well, just don't see Perez doing that. But no doubt the man was fire today and he deserves to be at the grid. I suppose some people at RP are frowning that they let this guy go for Vettel. But who knows, maybe if Vettel bombs, Perez is back at RP after a year. Or Hulk gets a chance there after all, they seem to be quite happy with his stand-in performances, including car development advice he gave in those stints.
Hulk is not a number 2 guy. He didn't like being number 2 to Daniel. They seemed equal on track but Daniel was getting about 3 times Hulk's Salary.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Just_a_fan

Jolle wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 21:32
"In the old days", when cars, especially the midfield cars, weren't very balanced a talent as Senna or Schumacher stood out inmiduatly. As cars across the grid get more and more predictable to drive the difference between exceptional talent and "just another driver" isn't that obvious. If you look at the two most recent supertalent, Leclerc and Verstappen, both undisputed fast and clearly the future for F1, they didn't stand out in a way as their predecessors decades before.
It's worth remembering that "back in the day", drivers didn't always qualify to race. Remember when they brought in the 107% rule in 1996? And for many years cars would fail to qualify. Take a look at the 1988 season chart here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_Form ... ampionship and how many drivers DNQ. Also, the number of retirements was huge across the season. Very different times.

Today, everyone qualifies unless something absolutely weird happens. Even failing to set a Q time will probably just result in a P20 or pit lane start position. The slowest cars on the track are within 2 or 3 seconds of pole (in Portimao, Latifi was 2 seconds behind Hamilton's Q1 time, for example, and only 2.1 seconds behind his pole time). The cars are much closer and it's difficult to stand out in the way that could be done years ago. All a driver can do is try to consistently beat his team mate - just as Russell has and is doing, for example. That gets noticed more than a lucky result.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

LHamilton

ringo wrote:
Yes Perez is race ready and sharp. Hulk just has a few races this year and no evidence of fighting for wins. Perez has in fact fought for wins and podiums, plus he brings money

One of the laziest comments i've seen. Like, what is this? In terms of fighting for wins and podiums, are you suggesting this season or overall? Because overall, Hulkenberg has 'in fact' done both. Are you suggesting that it's the former, then I have to question your common sense.

And in regards to 'Perez is race ready and sharp'; Well yes, he has raced this season. Hulkenberg has experience and done two races this season, so i wouldn't really say that is in Perez favour. At least not to the degree you want to make it out to be. It's more about getting familiar with steering wheels and everything around the actual racing part. And that is something Perez has to do, to the same degree Hulkenberg has, regardless of whomever gets the RB drive. Because both will be new to the surroudings.

I wish people would do some proper research when they compare drivers. Just so lazy to base a driver upon points and podiums alone.

And if RB is as tricky as people make it out to be, then perhaps people should take more into consideration when looking at drivers. Driving-styles etc. But I guess some critical thinking is to much to ask. It's easier to read some numbers and have it at that.

Racer X

LHamilton wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 01:11
ringo wrote:
Yes Perez is race ready and sharp. Hulk just has a few races this year and no evidence of fighting for wins. Perez has in fact fought for wins and podiums, plus he brings money

One of the laziest comments i've seen. Like, what is this? In terms of fighting for wins and podiums, are you suggesting this season or overall? Because overall, Hulkenberg has 'in fact' done both. Are you suggesting that it's the former, then I have to question your common sense.

And in regards to 'Perez is race ready and sharp'; Well yes, he has raced this season. Hulkenberg has experience and done two races this season, so i wouldn't really say that is in Perez favour. At least not to the degree you want to make it out to be. It's more about getting familiar with steering wheels and everything around the actual racing part. And that is something Perez has to do, to the same degree Hulkenberg has, regardless of whomever gets the RB drive. Because both will be new to the surroudings.

I wish people would do some proper research when they compare drivers. Just so lazy to base a driver upon points and podiums alone.

And if RB is as tricky as people make it out to be, then perhaps people should take more into consideration when looking at drivers. Driving-styles etc. But I guess some critical thinking is to much to ask. It's easier to read some numbers and have it at that.
Formula 1 is a result driven industry as are mosr sports. Sergio had results it's funny how you want people to elaborate on something but you also want them to disregard facts like points, & podiums.
The fact is Hulk has driven equal machinery to his teammates and hasn't been quicker. Hes also failed to get on the podium.

If we ignore podiums and results hes still slower still behind Daniel and Perez but if we consider podiums and results then suddenly he's not looking too good things they look worse. The fact is in the Championship they both beat him also he's consistently just mediocre.

The fact is Sergio can make a tire compound last long and run lap times equal to Hamilton consistently he's able to do this during an entire race. His race craft to be able to overtake people without relying on the DRS as well as without burning out his breaks or flat spotting his tires is what makes him a great driver.

People say well Hulkenberg was consistent.

Perez has gained consistency as well he already had raw speed along with a strong sensibility for balancing his tires and car. Otmar says it's like he's a driver that has traction control built-in. In that same interview Otmar mentioned that Perez used to work teaching Hulkenberg how to he faster on Sundays.
Which to me it means Hulk is good for a solid lap or two but hes overall speed is slower then it could be. If Perez had to help him on being faster on Sundays. He said that on F1 Nation by the way.

Hulk was beaten on Sundays by both Perez and Ricciardo. Look at Perez you can put him in the back of the grid and he will just cruise back up to the front. Hulk maybe stays where he qualifies. Often he loses ground compared to where he qualifies. Sure he has beaten Perez in Qualifying but he always finished behind him so what good did that ever do him.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Manoah2u

Well, Albon is not going to stay, that's clear as day by now. He's got lapped by Max, and in a weekend where he should have shown his worth, he's not even meh, he's lost. I still can't see Gasly back at RBR, but you never know, the guy is seeming to have 'come alive' recently.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"