Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
User avatar
ringo
232
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:57 am

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

LHamilton wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:11 am
ringo wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:56 pm
Yes Perez is race ready and sharp. Hulk just has a few races this year and no evidence of fighting for wins. Perez has in fact fought for wins and podiums, plus he brings money

One of the laziest comments i've seen. Like, what is this? In terms of fighting for wins and podiums, are you suggesting this season or overall? Because overall, Hulkenberg has 'in fact' done both. Are you suggesting that it's the former, then I have to question your common sense.

And in regards to 'Perez is race ready and sharp'; Well yes, he has raced this season. Hulkenberg has experience and done two races this season, so i wouldn't really say that is in Perez favour. At least not to the degree you want to make it out to be. It's more about getting familiar with steering wheels and everything around the actual racing part. And that is something Perez has to do, to the same degree Hulkenberg has, regardless of whomever gets the RB drive. Because both will be new to the surroudings.

I wish people would do some proper research when they compare drivers. Just so lazy to base a driver upon points and podiums alone.

And if RB is as tricky as people make it out to be, then perhaps people should take more into consideration when looking at drivers. Driving-styles etc. But I guess some critical thinking is to much to ask. It's easier to read some numbers and have it at that.
I have to question your common sense. Been watching Hulk since he entered the sport as williams test driver. He is not on Perez level at all when it comes to race craft. Hulk has a short racing "attention span". The onus is you to tell me at what point in Hulk's career did he ever look like winning a race. Perez has looked briliant since his Sauber days. Apart from his mclaren season, Perez can threaten a podium or a surpise win and only the inferior pace of his car would prevent that win or podium. Hulk's biggest accomplishment in F1 is that lucky pole position he scored in Brazil in 2010? when he was on the track at the right time with the tyres being in the right window. Hulk is a likeable guy dont get me wrong, but he cannot put a good race together. He just has not shown to be able to set himself up to threaten the top spots like Perez has shown. Count how many top 4 finishes perez has compared to hulk. It's chalk and cheese. Hulk doesnt even have the excuse of being in poorer machinery.
For Sure!!

LHamilton
LHamilton
8
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:40 pm

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

Racer X wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:36 am
LHamilton wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:11 am
ringo wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:56 pm
Yes Perez is race ready and sharp. Hulk just has a few races this year and no evidence of fighting for wins. Perez has in fact fought for wins and podiums, plus he brings money

One of the laziest comments i've seen. Like, what is this? In terms of fighting for wins and podiums, are you suggesting this season or overall? Because overall, Hulkenberg has 'in fact' done both. Are you suggesting that it's the former, then I have to question your common sense.

And in regards to 'Perez is race ready and sharp'; Well yes, he has raced this season. Hulkenberg has experience and done two races this season, so i wouldn't really say that is in Perez favour. At least not to the degree you want to make it out to be. It's more about getting familiar with steering wheels and everything around the actual racing part. And that is something Perez has to do, to the same degree Hulkenberg has, regardless of whomever gets the RB drive. Because both will be new to the surroudings.

I wish people would do some proper research when they compare drivers. Just so lazy to base a driver upon points and podiums alone.

And if RB is as tricky as people make it out to be, then perhaps people should take more into consideration when looking at drivers. Driving-styles etc. But I guess some critical thinking is to much to ask. It's easier to read some numbers and have it at that.
Formula 1 is a result driven industry as are mosr sports. Sergio had results it's funny how you want people to elaborate on something but you also want them to disregard facts like points, & podiums.
The fact is Hulk has driven equal machinery to his teammates and hasn't been quicker. Hes also failed to get on the podium.

If we ignore podiums and results hes still slower still behind Daniel and Perez but if we consider podiums and results then suddenly he's not looking too good things they look worse. The fact is in the Championship they both beat him also he's consistently just mediocre.

The fact is Sergio can make a tire compound last long and run lap times equal to Hamilton consistently he's able to do this during an entire race. His race craft to be able to overtake people without relying on the DRS as well as without burning out his breaks or flat spotting his tires is what makes him a great driver.

People say well Hulkenberg was consistent.

Perez has gained consistency as well he already had raw speed along with a strong sensibility for balancing his tires and car. Otmar says it's like he's a driver that has traction control built-in. In that same interview Otmar mentioned that Perez used to work teaching Hulkenberg how to he faster on Sundays.
Which to me it means Hulk is good for a solid lap or two but hes overall speed is slower then it could be. If Perez had to help him on being faster on Sundays. He said that on F1 Nation by the way.

Hulk was beaten on Sundays by both Perez and Ricciardo. Look at Perez you can put him in the back of the grid and he will just cruise back up to the front. Hulk maybe stays where he qualifies. Often he loses ground compared to where he qualifies. Sure he has beaten Perez in Qualifying but he always finished behind him so what good did that ever do him.
Firstly, have a look at your sentences and how you write. Gets a bit tedious reading it.

Secondly, stop lying. I have never said you should disregard results such as podium or points. I wanted to point out that context matters. In everything. You can't simply put one type of numbers out at be like 'yeah, more of those so clearly he is better'. If that were the case Button would be a better driver than Hamilton since during their McLaren era, Button scored more points and more podiums than Hamilton. Can you see the fallibility of such conclusions?

Thirdly, stop cherry picking. You are obviously a Perez fan, but you can't cherry pick moments to suit your needs. In terms of teammates (another thing which you lied about), he has outscored more than he has lost. Di Resta, Gutierrez, Palmer, Perez (1) & Sainz. Lost against Perez (2) & Ricciardo. And in terms of out-qualify his opponents, he has done that to everyone bar Barrichello and Ricciardo.

"If we ignore podiums and results, he is still slower than Ricciardo/Perez" (Paraphrase) - On what metrics are we talking here in terms of 'results'? You just throwing out a comment without any substance. Let's see what we find if we remove Perez's podiums (your statement).

2014 Bahrain: 3rd for Perez. That year Hulkenberg outscored Perez 96-59. Without Perez's podium, Hulkenberg wins with; 96-44.

2015 Russia: 3rd for Perez. That year Perez outscored Hulkenberg 78-58. Without Perez's podium, Perez wins with; 63-58.

2016 Monaco & Azerbadijan: 3rd both times. That year Perez outscored Hulkenberg 101-72. Without Perez's podiums, Hulkenberg wins with 72-71.

So, another lie for you. We are up to three now.

When you point to Sergio being able to run the same laptimes as Hamilton, how come he is not with Hamilton at the end of the race? I bet you put that information in there just because he did so last GP in Nurburguring when it was told over the radio. What I do agree on is Perez capacity to be very kind on his tyres.

In regards to not over-do your breaks and lock-ups; Seems like a throw-away comments as well. Haven't seen anyone complain about Hulkenbergs, or any current driver, incapacity to do so.

Otmars comments about Perez and Hulkenberg is something that Hulkenberg himself has confirmed to some sense. When I say confirmed, Hulkenberg told that Perez was better at conserving his tires, and I wouldn't be suprised if that is something that Hulkenberg tried to learn for Perez.

Did Perez beat Hulkenberg on Sundays? Sure, if we look at results and results only. But remember context matters. Hulkenberg has had far more DNFs than Perez.

2016: Hulkenberg had 5 DNFs. Perez 1 DNF.
2015: Hulkenberg had 5 DNFs and 1 DNS. Perez 1 DNF.
2014: Hulkenberg had 2 DNFs. Perez had 4 DNFs and 1 DNS.

If we look at how it went when both finished the race; who won then;

2014: 7-7. Hulkenberg had seven races where he finished above Perez. Perez had the equal amount.
2015: 7-6. Hulkenberg had seven races where he finished above Perez. Perez had six races.
2016: 8-8. Hulkenberg had eight races where he finished above Perez. Perez had the equal amount.

If you want the above metric in points:

2016: 85-72 in favour of Perez (16 points removed from Perez) The one DNF Perez had, Hulk DNFd in that race.
2015: 58-37 in favour of Hulkenberg (41 points removed from Perez) The one DNF Perez had, Hulk DNFd in that race.
2014: 66-59 in favour of Hulkenberg (30 points removed from Hulkenberg) Two DNFs that Hulk had, Perez DNFd in the same races.

Well, in regards to this metric, Hulkenberg wins. However, you shouldn't base your judgement on one metric and one metric alone, since there are flaws with it. Just as basing your opinions one another sole metric is unjustifiable.

To me, Hulkenberg is the slightly faster driver, specially on Saturdays. With Sundays being very close. What I would say, which metrics above support, is that Hulkenberg and Perez are very close. Perez has a capacity to be very consistent, getting those points on the board. Hulkenberg has the tendency to sometimes do mistakes, which sees him retire more often and thus lose points.

There is a case to make for Perez being the 'better' driver due to him not making mistakes, having the incredible nack of keeping his tyres in good condition etc. I wouldn't be suprised if Perez were the one to have the best tyre management over the whole field. But to call Hulkenberg down right average is quite the stretch, when you look at how close they are. You just blindly looking at podiums and forget about context. It would've been different if Hulkenberg were never near a podium, nor race wins. However, he's been close multiple times, which kinda suggests that he has the speed.

Oh well, sorry for making this post so long and it might come across aggressive. My intention is not that, but to convey that context should be considered when trying to compare drivers.

LHamilton
LHamilton
8
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:40 pm

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

ringo wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:28 am
LHamilton wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:11 am
ringo wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:56 pm
Yes Perez is race ready and sharp. Hulk just has a few races this year and no evidence of fighting for wins. Perez has in fact fought for wins and podiums, plus he brings money

One of the laziest comments i've seen. Like, what is this? In terms of fighting for wins and podiums, are you suggesting this season or overall? Because overall, Hulkenberg has 'in fact' done both. Are you suggesting that it's the former, then I have to question your common sense.

And in regards to 'Perez is race ready and sharp'; Well yes, he has raced this season. Hulkenberg has experience and done two races this season, so i wouldn't really say that is in Perez favour. At least not to the degree you want to make it out to be. It's more about getting familiar with steering wheels and everything around the actual racing part. And that is something Perez has to do, to the same degree Hulkenberg has, regardless of whomever gets the RB drive. Because both will be new to the surroudings.

I wish people would do some proper research when they compare drivers. Just so lazy to base a driver upon points and podiums alone.

And if RB is as tricky as people make it out to be, then perhaps people should take more into consideration when looking at drivers. Driving-styles etc. But I guess some critical thinking is to much to ask. It's easier to read some numbers and have it at that.
I have to question your common sense. Been watching Hulk since he entered the sport as williams test driver. He is not on Perez level at all when it comes to race craft. Hulk has a short racing "attention span". The onus is you to tell me at what point in Hulk's career did he ever look like winning a race. Perez has looked briliant since his Sauber days. Apart from his mclaren season, Perez can threaten a podium or a surpise win and only the inferior pace of his car would prevent that win or podium. Hulk's biggest accomplishment in F1 is that lucky pole position he scored in Brazil in 2010? when he was on the track at the right time with the tyres being in the right window. Hulk is a likeable guy dont get me wrong, but he cannot put a good race together. He just has not shown to be able to set himself up to threaten the top spots like Perez has shown. Count how many top 4 finishes perez has compared to hulk. It's chalk and cheese. Hulk doesnt even have the excuse of being in poorer machinery.
Brazil 2012. When has Perez looked like getting a 'suprise win' other than Malaysia 2012? "Only the inferior pace of his car would prevent that win or podium". What is that statement. That could be said for anyone on the grid.

That thing about being at the right position at the right time doesn't fly with me. Could be said about Perez or a few drivers out there as well. Monaco 2016 when Hulkenberg was about the get a podium, but his team called him in to early, only for Perez to inherent that podium position for instance.

Yes, Perez has had more top 4 finishes than Hulkenberg. He seems to be able to have more 'peak' performances. Unfortunate for Hulkenberg, he has either retired or other things happend whenever he has been close to the front. Brazil 2016 he had a puncture. Singapore 2017 he had a very slow pitstop. The Monaco incident talked about above. Then he has crash out himself a few times, Azerbadijan 17', 18' and Germany 19'. That's six times and more in there. Can't be arsed to look as of right now tho.

I agree that Hulkenberg seems to have a tendency to not manage to get the work done whenever he's doing good. But the fact that he is up there in podium places should count for something. It would've been something else if he wouldn't be. And most people seems to think that he hasn't been since he hasn't got any podiums.

And to be fair, Perez has had the slightly better car whenever they haven't been teammates. 2012? Yes, both Sauber drivers got podiums. 2013? Fairly even I'd say. Maybe a slight edge to McLaren. 2017? Yes. Slighty. 2018? No. 2019? Yes.

User avatar
ringo
232
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:57 am

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

I agree with you about why he hasnt had better results. That's why i said his atrention span is narrow. You said it yourself. He crashes himself out a few times. That's a red flag for any team thinking about using hulk.
He has been unlucky yes, but luck evens out over time and yet hulk.. just doesnt seem to be able to get it together.
He is very fast over a lap. Similar to Jarno Truli.
Maybe can show little flashes of briliance in a stint. But showing speed for a whole race and making decisive overtakes... very rare for hulk.

Hulk's talent is like a ceremonial saber. Perez talent is like a katana. One has huge talent but just cant cut the mustard and get the results. The other very efficient with his talent and is a work horse that gets results. Hulk has had many chances and done his time. He should go knock on Haas' door. And even then he is less accomplished than Grosjean.And im a hulk fan but lets call a spade a spade. He doesnt know how to win. Nick Heidfeld was better.
For Sure!!

DChemTech
DChemTech
44
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:31 am
Location: Delft, NL

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

ringo wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:36 am
I agree with you about why he hasnt had better results. That's why i said his atrention span is narrow. You said it yourself. He crashes himself out a few times. That's a red flag for any team thinking about using hulk.
He has been unlucky yes, but luck evens out over time and yet hulk.. just doesnt seem to be able to get it together.
He is very fast over a lap. Similar to Jarno Truli.
Maybe can show little flashes of briliance in a stint. But showing speed for a whole race and making decisive overtakes... very rare for hulk.

Hulk's talent is like a ceremonial saber. Perez talent is like a katana. One has huge talent but just cant cut the mustard and get the results. The other very efficient with his talent and is a work horse that gets results. Hulk has had many chances and done his time. He should go knock on Haas' door. And even then he is less accomplished than Grosjean.And im a hulk fan but lets call a spade a spade. He doesnt know how to win. Nick Heidfeld was better.

I just have to disagree with that. The only thing Hulk lacks is podia. If that is all you count, then yes, he is less accomplished than RoGro. On the other hand, Hulk has never been in a race-winning car, and RoGro has.

Looking at Hulk's results since 2014:
In 2014 he beat Perez by some 40 points (more retirements for Perez)
in 2015 Perez beat him by some 20 points (more retirements for Hulk)
In 2016 Perez beat Hulk by some 30 points (more retirements for Hulk)
In 2017 Hulk scored the vast majority of points for Renault
In 2018 Hulk beat Sainz 69 vs 53 (more retirements for Hulk)
in 2019 Ric beat Hulk 54 to 39.

I don't see a 'driver that's fast in one lap and then fails'. I see a driver that is a pretty constant factor. That in terms of 'regular' results was Perez' equal at FI, but yes, does lack the savviness to score podiums which Perez does have.
I see a driver that beat his teammates at Renault, lest the rather highly talented Ricciardo. Nothing to be particularly ashamed of.

User avatar
Racer X
10
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:04 pm

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

Actually I kept saying Albon would be kept at RedBull and then I said Yuki hahaha and then I gave up.


I'm not a Perez fan I just don't think Hulk will be chosen over Pérez.

PEREZ>HULK

It's that simple for me. I've said lots of times

They wont take Hulkenberg over Pérez

But I didn't think they would go out of the RedBull "Academy" but apparently they might. Lol.
SENNA

User avatar
Racer X
10
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:04 pm

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

DChemTech wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:40 am
that in terms of 'regular' results was Perez' equal at FI, but yes, does lack the savviness to score podiums (HULK) which Perez does have.
I see a driver that beat his teammates at Renault, lest the rather highly talented Ricciardo. Nothing to be particularly ashamed of.
So if he is "equal" but Perez is more "savy" and Perez can score podiums(plural) and but Ricciardo beat him. (But it's only to lose to Ricciardo according to you)

Then doesn't that give the edge slightly to Perez if according to you they are "equal" in a lot of ways but Perez is more "savy"/what does that mean?

"Savy" Sergio has more Racecraft?

Is that what more savy means?

I think you're a Hulkenberg fan and you are chosing to ignore anything that disproves him to be slower then another driver.

But you're okey with him being slower then Ricciardo.

Guess what I'm pretty sure they don't want some one slower then Ricciardo.

I think the point is to have some one who could hunt down Ricciardo and others like him.

If only we had an example of that kind of race craft.......

Oh wait today at Portimao.... Look at that lol.... Hahaha

But I still think RedBull Will ignore Portimao and continue to give Albons chances to give them a reason to keep him.


I mean idk I'm starting to give up on RedBull picking from their own academy.

Also In Malaysia PEREZ was not going to get a surprise/lucky win.

He was hunting Fernando Alonso who was driving a Ferrari while he was in a Sauber.

But allegedly a radio message came in from Ferrari' to Sauber and then he suddenly slowed down in the last few moments.

Back when he was in the Ferrari driver's Academy.

Even if Perez didn't get a win he still earned that 2nd Place podium in the Rain. Last I checked that's supposed to be impressive. Specially when it's done in a Sauber..

Perez has always been able to hunt down the top 3 cars to a podium in any car he's been in
Provided they got the set up right for that weekend. But he's definitely had more solid 4th place finishes then Hulk.
Except for his McLaren days...
SENNA

DChemTech
DChemTech
44
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:31 am
Location: Delft, NL

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

You are seeing all kinds of things that I did not state.
Yes, I am saying that baseline Hulk and Perez are pretty equal, but that Perez is indeed more savvy and capable of seizing a podium opportunity when there is one. That gives Perez a slight edge. I never denied that. I am impressed by his drive yesterday too; I never mentioned otherwise. And all that stuff that you decided should be in boldface... well, I never really said anything about that, nor do I disagree with you - so I don't see why all the dramatic emphasis is needed.

All I argued before, and which I will argue again, is that I think Hulk is a better fit for RB because they need someone that accommodates to 2nd driver (he may not -like- being 2nd, who does, but he'll accommodate I'm sure. Especially if he comes in 2nd, unlike the Renault case). As RB seems more set to make Max WDC than claiming the WCC, they need someone that doesn't give drama with Max, and I see Hulk more fit for that than Perez; Perez has an edge in seizing opportunities, but also an edge in getting into trouble with teammates (and those could easily go hand in hand when being 2nd driver in a good car).

I want to see both Hulk and Perez in F1. Both are good drivers that deserve a seat. But I'd prefer to see Perez rebuilding Williams or brining Haas or Alfa (rather see Perez there than Kimi, tbh) forward, and Hulk at RB. I'd even more rather see Perez at Aston Martin, but apparently they opt for glory days long gone over a driver that has a proven track record in the car and good standing with them team. Shame, really.

User avatar
dodds_turbo
8
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:45 pm

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

While Red Bull will definitely review all the past performances, stats, etc. I think there's more to choosing a driver than simply facts and figures. Teams have to consider the 'marketability' of the driver and how he fits in with their current sponsors, also what sponsors the driver might bring with him, and what they benefit (apart from financially) the team. In addition to this they need to weigh up how a driver would interact/support or even push their team mate. For RB I think the selection criteria for a suitable Verstappen team mate will be quite specific. For teams like Alfa or Haas (if they bring in some young talent) they will be looking for an experienced driver who will coach/lead a young driver, not somebody who would play head games (e.g. the Ham vs Ros battle).

Finally how the driver fits in the team (would a Mexican suit and American team better, or worse? Would Steiner prefer a fellow German in the team?
Would RB prefer Hulk (a German) who might get along with a Dutch driver better?

Noe of this is taking into consideration what the drivers want. There's many stories of rivalry between drivers that goes back in time, and those drivers have decided they just will not get on - Perez and Hulk relationship soured towards the end of the Force India era, Gasly and Ocon do not get on, Rosberg and Hamilton (once best mates) couldn't stand each other in the end...

DChemTech
DChemTech
44
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:31 am
Location: Delft, NL

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

dodds_turbo wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:50 am
While Red Bull will definitely review all the past performances, stats, etc. I think there's more to choosing a driver than simply facts and figures. Teams have to consider the 'marketability' of the driver and how he fits in with their current sponsors, also what sponsors the driver might bring with him, and what they benefit (apart from financially) the team. In addition to this they need to weigh up how a driver would interact/support or even push their team mate. For RB I think the selection criteria for a suitable Verstappen team mate will be quite specific. For teams like Alfa or Haas (if they bring in some young talent) they will be looking for an experienced driver who will coach/lead a young driver, not somebody who would play head games (e.g. the Ham vs Ros battle).

Finally how the driver fits in the team (would a Mexican suit and American team better, or worse? Would Steiner prefer a fellow German in the team?
Would RB prefer Hulk (a German) who might get along with a Dutch driver better?

Noe of this is taking into consideration what the drivers want. There's many stories of rivalry between drivers that goes back in time, and those drivers have decided they just will not get on - Perez and Hulk relationship soured towards the end of the Force India era, Gasly and Ocon do not get on, Rosberg and Hamilton (once best mates) couldn't stand each other in the end...
Those are surely considerations they will take into account. And they will take Max's input, too, who allegedly favors Hulk. Definitely more dimensions to it than just finish line results.

Espresso
Espresso
40
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:03 pm

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

Manoah2u wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:56 am
Well, Albon is not going to stay, that's clear as day by now. He's got lapped by Max, and in a weekend where he should have shown his worth, he's not even meh, he's lost. I still can't see Gasly back at RBR, but you never know, the guy is seeming to have 'come alive' recently.
Well if Russel gets kicked out for money (and like Ocon 'dumped' by Merc)....
I'd see him released of the 'Merc leash' and go to RBR.

Russel has proved (33-0) to be able to 'drive around a cars problems' and extract the most out of a car.
Verstappen and Russel would be a good match together, would bring some fireworks!
Last edited by Espresso on Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

User avatar
dodds_turbo
8
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:45 pm

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

DChemTech wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:31 am
dodds_turbo wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:50 am
While Red Bull will definitely review all the past performances, stats, etc. I think there's more to choosing a driver than simply facts and figures. Teams have to consider the 'marketability' of the driver and how he fits in with their current sponsors, also what sponsors the driver might bring with him, and what they benefit (apart from financially) the team. In addition to this they need to weigh up how a driver would interact/support or even push their team mate. For RB I think the selection criteria for a suitable Verstappen team mate will be quite specific. For teams like Alfa or Haas (if they bring in some young talent) they will be looking for an experienced driver who will coach/lead a young driver, not somebody who would play head games (e.g. the Ham vs Ros battle).

Finally how the driver fits in the team (would a Mexican suit and American team better, or worse? Would Steiner prefer a fellow German in the team?
Would RB prefer Hulk (a German) who might get along with a Dutch driver better?

Noe of this is taking into consideration what the drivers want. There's many stories of rivalry between drivers that goes back in time, and those drivers have decided they just will not get on - Perez and Hulk relationship soured towards the end of the Force India era, Gasly and Ocon do not get on, Rosberg and Hamilton (once best mates) couldn't stand each other in the end...
Those are surely considerations they will take into account. And they will take Max's input, too, who allegedly favors Hulk. Definitely more dimensions to it than just finish line results.
Indeed, loads of considerations to make. And I forgot to mention one of the most significant - engine supplier! As it's very much unknown what's gonna happen there (RB making it clear they're not happy accepting a Renault PU) this could also shape decisions made by the whole team (including Max and the other driver).

NL_Fer
NL_Fer
78
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:48 am

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

Maybe Russel is better than both Perez and Hulk

DChemTech
DChemTech
44
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:31 am
Location: Delft, NL

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

NL_Fer wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:14 pm
Maybe Russel is better than both Perez and Hulk
Possibly. Shows how skewed the current driver academies are.
If you're part of the Mercedes academy... well, screwed. Hamilton is comfortably occupying one seat, and with Bottas they have an ideal second driver who suffices for WCC and does not get in the way for WDC... so Ocon, Russell, bad luck.

If you are part of Ferrari... Leclerc is there for some time to come, and Sainz will be followed up by Minischumi once he's ripe. Others in that academy may start looking for other seats already.

If you are part of RB... well, make sure you have a superlicense, and you're pretty much set for the main team in 6 months by lack of alternatives (and stubborn clinging to their own academy, until now at least). You'll be kicked down again some months or a year later, oscillate a few times between teams until drained, and then they'll repeat the exercise with the next kid.

None of them seems to be a particularly good place (in terms of making it to the mother team successfully, of course the financial support is welcome in all cases ) to be unless you have the right surname.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002
-1
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:52 am

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post

now a days the F1 is for millionaire's son for their timepass.