Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
El Scorchio

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

DChemTech wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 16:48
Phil wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 14:37
DChemTech wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 13:28
If you're part of the Mercedes academy... well, screwed.
How come? Both Ocon and Russel are still driving in F1, are they not? What more do you want?

I can only think of RedBull who has done more for bringing talents into F1, although they have also arguably shattered some [F1] careers on the way too. And from that very long list of talents that they've brought into F1, only the very fewest have actually been promoted to a race winning seat (the RedBull seat, that is) - that being Riccardo, Gasly, Albon and Kvyat. But did they have the same level of opportunities as their number 1 driver at the time? With the exception of Riccardo, I'm not that sure.

Also, compared to the RedBull, Mercedes actually has to finance their drivers in their customer teams, as they don't have the 'luxury' of holding two teams. They don't have direct control over the seats at Williams nor do they at Racing-Point.

With all respect to Russels achievement (against arguably very weak team-mates) in that Williams - where does this belief come from that he deserves a seat at Mercedes after 2 seasons?

Last I checked, Russel (as any other driver) was driving for and employed by his team Mercedes. Not the other way around.
Of course, I stated it a bit in deliberately provocative terms. Being part of those academies and the funding that comes with it is still a good way into F1 as a whole. So I mean particularly in terms of 'if you are part of the academy of team X, what are the odds you will actually drive in F1 for team X' ;)
Well, each team only has a couple of seats and there are only 20 in total to go round, so only very few ever make it to the top table. There they are competing against established drivers. It's very hard to break into F1 in ANY team, unless you have a huge bucket of cash.

It's the same in all sports. 90% of promising youngsters never make the grade. Honestly if one driver a season on average makes it on merit and displaces someone, it's probably a success for the sport and the academy system.

Fulcrum

ringo wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 02:28
LHamilton wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 01:11
ringo wrote:
25 Oct 2020, 18:56
Yes Perez is race ready and sharp. Hulk just has a few races this year and no evidence of fighting for wins. Perez has in fact fought for wins and podiums, plus he brings money

One of the laziest comments i've seen. Like, what is this? In terms of fighting for wins and podiums, are you suggesting this season or overall? Because overall, Hulkenberg has 'in fact' done both. Are you suggesting that it's the former, then I have to question your common sense.

And in regards to 'Perez is race ready and sharp'; Well yes, he has raced this season. Hulkenberg has experience and done two races this season, so i wouldn't really say that is in Perez favour. At least not to the degree you want to make it out to be. It's more about getting familiar with steering wheels and everything around the actual racing part. And that is something Perez has to do, to the same degree Hulkenberg has, regardless of whomever gets the RB drive. Because both will be new to the surroudings.

I wish people would do some proper research when they compare drivers. Just so lazy to base a driver upon points and podiums alone.

And if RB is as tricky as people make it out to be, then perhaps people should take more into consideration when looking at drivers. Driving-styles etc. But I guess some critical thinking is to much to ask. It's easier to read some numbers and have it at that.
I have to question your common sense. Been watching Hulk since he entered the sport as williams test driver. He is not on Perez level at all when it comes to race craft. Hulk has a short racing "attention span". The onus is you to tell me at what point in Hulk's career did he ever look like winning a race. Perez has looked briliant since his Sauber days. Apart from his mclaren season, Perez can threaten a podium or a surpise win and only the inferior pace of his car would prevent that win or podium. Hulk's biggest accomplishment in F1 is that lucky pole position he scored in Brazil in 2010? when he was on the track at the right time with the tyres being in the right window. Hulk is a likeable guy dont get me wrong, but he cannot put a good race together. He just has not shown to be able to set himself up to threaten the top spots like Perez has shown. Count how many top 4 finishes perez has compared to hulk. It's chalk and cheese. Hulk doesnt even have the excuse of being in poorer machinery.
Brazil 2012. Hulkenberg could have won this race, but he made a mistake.

Likewise, Perez had one opportunity (realistically) to win a race, Malaysia 2012. He also made a mistake.

My opinion is Perez has benefited from the era he is driving in. Full tanks, no traction control, high wear rate tyres. Now that tyres are more stable, his primary attribute (managing tyres) is less effective than it was.

I honestly don't know why Red Bull would consider either Perez or Hulkenburg, to be blunt. Unless Gasly doesn't want to drive for Red Bull, he's the best option.

El Scorchio

Fulcrum wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 17:49
ringo wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 02:28
LHamilton wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 01:11

One of the laziest comments i've seen. Like, what is this? In terms of fighting for wins and podiums, are you suggesting this season or overall? Because overall, Hulkenberg has 'in fact' done both. Are you suggesting that it's the former, then I have to question your common sense.

And in regards to 'Perez is race ready and sharp'; Well yes, he has raced this season. Hulkenberg has experience and done two races this season, so i wouldn't really say that is in Perez favour. At least not to the degree you want to make it out to be. It's more about getting familiar with steering wheels and everything around the actual racing part. And that is something Perez has to do, to the same degree Hulkenberg has, regardless of whomever gets the RB drive. Because both will be new to the surroudings.

I wish people would do some proper research when they compare drivers. Just so lazy to base a driver upon points and podiums alone.

And if RB is as tricky as people make it out to be, then perhaps people should take more into consideration when looking at drivers. Driving-styles etc. But I guess some critical thinking is to much to ask. It's easier to read some numbers and have it at that.
I have to question your common sense. Been watching Hulk since he entered the sport as williams test driver. He is not on Perez level at all when it comes to race craft. Hulk has a short racing "attention span". The onus is you to tell me at what point in Hulk's career did he ever look like winning a race. Perez has looked briliant since his Sauber days. Apart from his mclaren season, Perez can threaten a podium or a surpise win and only the inferior pace of his car would prevent that win or podium. Hulk's biggest accomplishment in F1 is that lucky pole position he scored in Brazil in 2010? when he was on the track at the right time with the tyres being in the right window. Hulk is a likeable guy dont get me wrong, but he cannot put a good race together. He just has not shown to be able to set himself up to threaten the top spots like Perez has shown. Count how many top 4 finishes perez has compared to hulk. It's chalk and cheese. Hulk doesnt even have the excuse of being in poorer machinery.

Likewise, Perez had one opportunity (realistically) to win a race, Malaysia 2012. He also made a mistake.

My opinion is Perez has benefited from the era he is driving in. Full tanks, no traction control, high wear rate tyres. Now that tyres are more stable, his primary attribute (managing tyres) is less effective than it was.

I honestly don't know why Red Bull would consider either Perez or Hulkenburg, to be blunt. Unless Gasly doesn't want to drive for Red Bull, he's the best option.
Why would Gasly want to go back there? He's being allowed to shine far more in the seat he's in at the moment, and his next move will be a better one because of it. When he was at RBR he was damaged goods like Albon is now and could have easily fallen out of F1 if it wasn't for the swap. As it is now, he's reinvented himself and is a race winner, even if there was fortune involved. His stock is far higher than this time last year. Albon's is far lower.

Phil

Fulcrum wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 17:49
Could he? I thought his lead was on borrowed time anyway and Hamilton was better equipped to do so, hence how they end up coming together and clashed.

The sad matter of fact is, that bearing some exceptions, for the majority of races between 2010 and now, only a handful of drivers won on merit and because they were the 'quickest'. All the others who have won races, have won them on circumstance and a lot of luck. This includes Gasly, this includes Maldonado (although I'd argue his race win at Barcelona was hard fought and deserved, but came at the fortunate mistake of McLaren), this includes all race wins in 2014 by Daniel Riccardo too. Sure, a win is a win, but with the utter dominance of the top 3 teams in the last decade of the sport, being anything but in a top tier team has enabled you to get wins or podiums.

The midfield plays a different game. It's all about points there and the gamble they do to put themselves in favorable positions on the off chance that one of the top tier messes up. It's when they gamble on staying out when a safety car comes out, split strategies between team mates to see what comes out better, attempt fewer stops etc. Sometimes, these gambles actually strike home. But who actually gets to be in that position to land that win, well, that's more a thing of luck.

Hulkenberg realistically never had the package to win. True, he's been in a situation where he could have benefited, but I wouldn't hang him up because he hasn't.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

nacho

If Perez goes to Williams Red Bull should make move for Russell.

TwanV

nacho wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 19:40
Seconded, although the usual Mercedes power play wrt Red Bull could spoil the beans. When does Lando's contract expire exactly? Norris to Red Bull Russell to McLaren would be equally good and would fit the engine situation at Woking next year. Gasly to Renault I assume.

koenigzig

TwanV wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 20:02
nacho wrote:
26 Oct 2020, 19:40
Seconded, although the usual Mercedes power play wrt Red Bull could spoil the beans. When does Lando's contract expire exactly? Norris to Red Bull Russell to McLaren would be equally good and would fit the engine situation at Woking next year. Gasly to Renault I assume.
Norris signed a 3 year contract in July 2019, so he'll be at McLaren till the end of 2022 (per contract). We all know there are always out clauses but I just dont see Lando leaving the team yet
PM me if you're interested in joining an F1 2021 or Assetta Corsa Competizione league on Xbox

Racer X

Damon Hill has said that if he had a team he would sign Sergio Perez and Sergio suggests he has a team in F1 next season.
Who is he going to be with then?
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

nzjrs

Can you imagine a Bottas to RBR and Russel to Mercedes seat swap political power play? Note: This came to me in the shower and is more wild than an acid trip and less believable.

Zynerji

nzjrs wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 01:32
Can you imagine a Bottas to RBR and Russel to Mercedes seat swap political power play? Note: This came to me in the shower and is more wild than an acid trip and less believable.
Merc support for 2022 engine freeze?🤔🤔

PlatinumZealot

With Red Bull's machine learning algorithms they probably can insert Gasly's driving tendencies into the RB-16 car to see what lap times he can do against Max's inputs and the like-wise for Max to the AT chassis.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

graham.reeds

I think RBR should swap Gasly with Max. If Gasly languishes down in 7th/8th with Albon then you know there is an issue with the car which Max is able to drive around.

raymondu999

graham.reeds wrote:
27 Oct 2020, 02:53
I think RBR should swap Gasly with Max. If Gasly languishes down in 7th/8th with Albon then you know there is an issue with the car which Max is able to drive around.
I thought said issue was clear to see from onboards since testing lol. The car used to snap a lot - albeit lately in the last 2-3 races it has seemed more tame. Max even said it was encouraging that the car now has understeer, iirc. Which cannot be a good sign, surely? It’s like, “thank god we have a small problem now, better than that big problem we had before”
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

LHamilton

Im fairly confident that Red Bull will sign Perez, if Albon is not retained (and it doesn't look like that as of right now, nor should he be). Horner was always very reluctant to the idea of going outside the programme, or that anyone would replace Albon. But as soon as the Vettel deal was done and Perez was a free agent, Horner seemed more open to both possibilities.

Maybe it's just me reading into things, but I can't help to think that the timing of that has something to do that he prefers Perez in that seat. The only way I can see it change is if Verstappen has that much of a say that he can persvade them to take his mate, Hulkenberg, instead.

Is Perez the best option? It's a hard one. Surely better than Albon. On one hand, he is a little bit slower than for instance Hulkenberg, but more consistent. Whereas Hulkenberg is fast, but can be erratic. I suppose it depends on how competitive other cars are. And how many teams that are.

Can't really see Russell be an option. Merc driver and if we should go by qualifying records then Hulkenberg should be in a good shout since he's done very close to same thing against equal drivers to that Russell's been up against, if not better. (34-1 against Palmer, Gutierrez). Maybe an outside chance of Ocon, if the Gasly -> Renault rumours are true. But he probably isn't Verstappens best friend, so would cause to much tension i think. Similar mentality of that of Magnussen I'd say. Oh well, time will tell...

If it indeed turns out that Perez gets that seat, which I think is pretty much nailed on, I hope that HAAS goes with Hulkenberg. Would be very risky for them to get two rookie drivers. Especially when you have Gunther Steiner there commenting on your preformances if they are not up to par. I think Gunther would sleep better knowing he had some safe pair of hands in that HAAS. But then again, how much does the economic side influence the selection of drivers.

The next few weeks should be really interesting. Red Bull drive is probably the domino effect, and we might have an answer at the Turkeys GP.

I like though how people move goalposts when it comes to judging drivers. Really fascinating.

Racer X

You guys go wild with some theories but want solid facts and solid data to support rumors that are started by team bosses themselves. Lol 😂 it's crazy well

Update on George he says that Perez(s) Camp are the ones responsible for starting the Williams Rumors. Because they are trying to put pressure on who ever he's talking to during their negotiations. But that his seat is safe. Toto then said that in the unlikely event Williams takes Sergio they will bring George in as a reserve and give him lots of test days to keep him sharp and make sure he gets a seat in 2022.

These are statements made by George and Toto.

I will believe it because I think he's right I think Perez is going to some other team but not Williams or hes leaving F1. But not Williams...
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ