Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Tea

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

El Scorchio wrote:
10 Nov 2020, 15:19
To be entirely honest, there IS a reason for RP to deny Perez podiums and high finishes this season- however tenuous or delving into conspiracy it may be. I'm presuming money really isn't an issue for them at the moment, so this short term pain, however dumb on the face of it, does help them justify their decision to boot him out and retain Stroll jr. instead by lessening the points gained by Perez' clear performance advantage over his team mate. (Yes' I'm saying he's undeniably the better driver) It's not even all that close between them, and Perez has missed an extra race AND lost out on available points due to the 'interesting' strategy calls. You could argue also that Stroll benefitted abnormally points wise from that freakish Italian GP result or the gap would be somewhat bigger.

The bigger gap between Perez and Stroll in the standings, the more dumb the team look- especially if Vettel doesn't clearly outperform Stroll next season and they don't do well in the championship. Of course it's their prerogative to run the team and hire drivers as they see fit, but it's just a bit embarrassing isn't it, if they are clearly putting the boss's son over the team's success as a whole and making it into his personal driving school.

Anyway, I'm not saying any of this is ACTUALLY happening and it's more a train of thought which everyone is of course free to pick the bones out of!
They also get more 'perks' next year with less points this year. Are they wanting more test time?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

LHamilton

I'm gonna go out on a leap and say Hulkenberg to HAAS with probably Schumacher along side him with Mazepin maybe getting a foot in (test driver and one more year at F2 perhaps) for a seat in 2022, if Schumacher makes the leap to Alfa Romeo. You never know what might happen to Kimi or Gio. HAAS will rely on Hulkenberg mostly to drive that team forward, and I can see a two year deal for him.

Why Hulk to HAAS? I think Gunther doesn't want two rookies in the team if he can help it. To much risk, especially regarding the heavy criticism that GRO/MAG has gotten. I think he wants a pair of safe hands in there. Both in terms of knowing what you get from him, but also experience in helping develop the 2021 car, but also thinking ahead to 2022. It important to get your car "rolling" right away, and Hulkenberg would be a good shot at that. I don't think Schumacher is a bad option in terms of car development. My gut feeling is that he probably has good car knowledge, given that his father is Michael and probably has tought him a thing or two. However, that is yet to be seen, so I don't think HAAS feels confident enough to bring Mick and Mazepin in. With the regulation changes in 2022, it important to get right on track, right away.

Why would Hulkenberg wanna go to HAAS when RB is an option? I wonder if RBs change of heart it terms of when they make a decision regarding the second seat, has changed Hulkenbergs mind. Does he wanna wait til the end of the season (If Helmut Markos comments are to be true) to see if he gets the seat or not? Would it be a 1 or a 2-year deal? With the noises comming out from Ferrari that they are excited about the new engine for 2021, and having recognized their rear suspension problems, both HAAS and Ferrari might be on the way up. So there might be a chance for the HAAS car to be 'points competitive' next year, and that is all Hulkenberg wants. Obviously, ideally, he would want that RB seat. But I don't think he wants to wait too long. So he might go for the safer option, a 2-year deal with a potential midfield car in 2021 with all options open for 2022 (in car performonce due to regulation changes).

I also at the beginning thought that, even if I would like Hulk to get the RB seat, Perez was more likely, if Albon were to lose his seat.

With Hulk at HAAS, that would leave the RB seat into a straight battle between Perez and Albon, I would think.
Last edited by LHamilton on 10 Nov 2020, 19:58, edited 1 time in total.

Big Tea

LHamilton wrote:
10 Nov 2020, 17:13
I'm gonna go out on a leap and say Hulkenberg to HAAS with probably Schumacher along side him with Mazepin maybe getting a foot in (test driver and one more year at F2 perhaps) for a seat in 2022, if Schumacher makes the leap to Alfa Romeo. You never know what might happen to Kimi or Gio. HAAS will rely on Hulkenberg mostly to drive that team forward, and I can see a two year deal for him.

Why Hulk to HAAS? I think Gunther doesn't want two rookies in the team if he can help it. To much risk, especially regarding the heavy criticism that GRO/MAG has gotten. I think he wants a pair of safe hands in there. Both in terms of knowing what you get from him, but also experience in helping develop the 2021 car, but also thinking ahead to 2022. It important to get your car "rolling" right away, and Hulkenberg would be a good shot at that. I don't think Schumacher is a bad option in terms of car development. My gut feeling is that he probably has good car knowledge, given that he's father is Michael and probably has tought him a thing or two. However, that is yet to be seen, so I don't think HAAS feels confident enough to bring Mick and Mazepin in. With the regulation changes in 2022, it important to get right on track, right away.

Why would Hulkenberg wanna go to HAAS when RB is an option? I wonder if RBs change of heart it terms of when they make a decision regarding the second seat, has changed Hulkenbergs mind. Does he wanna wait til the end of the season (If Helmut Markos comments are to be true) to see if he gets the seat or not? Would it be a 1 or a 2-year deal? With the noises comming out from Ferrari that they are excited about the new engine for 2021, and having recognized their rear suspension problems, both HAAS and Ferrari might be on the way up. So there might be a chance for the HAAS car to be 'points competitive' next year, and that is all Hulkenberg wants. Obviously, ideally, he would want that RB seat. But I don't think he wants to wait too long. So he might go for the safer option, a 2-year deal with a potential midfield car in 2021 with all options open for 2022 (in car performonce due to regulation changes).

I also at the beginning thought that, even if I would like Hulk to get the RB seat, Perez was more likely, if Albon were to lose his seat.

With Hulk at HAAS, that would leave the RB seat into a straight battle between Perez and Albon, I would think.
No doubt Haas would like Hulk, but would he go?
I don't know what Haas would pay, but it is probably low, and while he is doing that he is not commentating so losing his earnings there.

Also, especially if a 2 year contract, while he is tied to Haas he can not take a drive anywhere else.
In F1 or any other class, such as Le Mans.

He (or you) may feel different, but to me it is more productive as it has happened this year than if he had been signed up to Haas. His 'turn up and drive' performances have been good and will stick in managers minds more than rolling along at the back of the field.

Not saying he would not take it, but I don't think it would be worth his while as long as it looks like he nay get some 'sub' seats next year.

adrianjordan

Big Tea wrote:
10 Nov 2020, 19:38
LHamilton wrote:

Why Hulk to HAAS? I think Gunther doesn't want two rookies in the team if he can help it. To much risk, especially regarding the heavy criticism that GRO/MAG has gotten. I think he wants a pair of safe hands in there. Both in terms of knowing what you get from him, but also experience in helping develop the 2021 car, but also thinking ahead to 2022. It important to get your car "rolling" right away, and Hulkenberg would be a good shot at that. I don't think Schumacher is a bad option in terms of car development. My gut feeling is that he probably has good car knowledge, given that he's father is Michael and probably has tought him a thing or two. However, that is yet to be seen, so I don't think HAAS feels confident enough to bring Mick and Mazepin in. With the regulation changes in 2022, it important to get right on track, right away.

I don't know what Haas would pay, but it is probably low, and while he is doing that he is not commentating so losing his earnings there.

Also, especially if a 2 year contract, while he is tied to Haas he can not take a drive anywhere else.

He (or you) may feel different, but to me it is more productive as it has happened this year than if he had been signed up to Haas. His 'turn up and drive' performances have been good and will stick in managers minds more than rolling along at the back of the field.

Not saying he would not take it, but I don't think it would be worth his while as long as it looks like he nay get some 'sub' seats next year.
How much is he likely to be earning as a commentator?

Also I doubt there will be as many, if any opportunities to be a sub-driver next season as Covid procedures will only get better and you have to assume that, as soon as a vaccine is available, sports stars will pay to be vaccinated pretty damn quickly.

Only Hulk and RBR will know whether there is any potential for that drive, but I just can't see him getting it over Perez.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Big Tea

adrianjordan wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 03:18
Big Tea wrote:
LHamilton wrote:

Also I doubt there will be as many, if any opportunities to be a sub-driver next season as Covid procedures will only get better and you have to assume that, as soon as a vaccine is available, sports stars will pay to be vaccinated pretty damn quickly.

Only Hulk and RBR will know whether there is any potential for that drive, but I just can't see him getting it over Perez.
The Red Bull drive would be worth him taking, without doubt. Even if it ended up with him looking like Albon, as everyone now realises it is a car problem not a bad driver.

But I mean as opposed to driving for Haas. K Mag is said to be driving for around $5m but brings considerable money to the team so does not cost much in actual payment terms. Don't know what Hulk would bring, but I doubt Haas would give him any more than that.

It is not just being a TV pundit, but writing a column here and there, appearances and promotions etc which he would not be able to do if he was committed to a team.

He would also have expenses to pay out of it, such as agent fees, FIA, tax, his personal staff etc. A nice little pick up to you and I probably, but would it be worth his commitment?

adrianjordan

Big Tea wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 12:31
adrianjordan wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 03:18
Big Tea wrote:

The Red Bull drive would be worth him taking, without doubt. Even if it ended up with him looking like Albon, as everyone now realises it is a car problem not a bad driver.

But I mean as opposed to driving for Haas. K Mag is said to be driving for around $5m but brings considerable money to the team so does not cost much in actual payment terms. Don't know what Hulk would bring, but I doubt Haas would give him any more than that.

It is not just being a TV pundit, but writing a column here and there, appearances and promotions etc which he would not be able to do if he was committed to a team.

He would also have expenses to pay out of it, such as agent fees, FIA, tax, his personal staff etc. A nice little pick up to you and I probably, but would it be worth his commitment?
I guess that depends on whether he wants to be an F1 driver or not. If not then sure, take all the other opportunities, but there is not much liklihood that he would get another opportunity after this season.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Racer X

So at the start of this RedBull Silly Season Saga i believed Albon would be kept. Because they just keep trying to find excuses to keep him. Even tho Albon kept giving them excuses to replace him. But they just keep extending the deadline for Albon and now with Albons "ultimatum" of him not accepting an Alfa Tauri seat. I'm not sure if they will let him go.

So Hulk/Perez perhaps won't be signed.
If they are (i still) think it's Perez over Hulk.

But I wonder if all this taunting that RedBull has done had never been with the intention to sign a second driver for RedBull at all if they always intended to keep Albon but they are just doing this to light a fire under Alex...

I wonder If they are just allowing the silly season to bring them a lot of free publicity with the European Media focused on Hulk and the Latin American Media focused on Perez. When they infact won't take either of them. If they keep Albon and do nothing with Hulk/Perez I won't be surprised it's RedBull an after all they aren't committed to either Nico or Sergio. I mean all they have to do at the end of the day is say "sorry no deal".

But perhaps the seat Hulk/Sergio are fighting for had always been at Alfa Tauri?

Or has it all just been cleverly planned media fiddling to get everyone to talk about RedBull by saying those are the two driver's who might replace Albon.

EDIT: Hulkenberg has stated that there have been no contacts set in front of him. Perez has also said pretty much the same thing. Except Perez has been cheeky saying things like 'until teams announce their line up all teams are a possibility'. Which of course means nothing so maybe RedBull has had zero *serious* conversations with either one?
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

raymondu999

RB has, other than their formative years, opted for in house talent. I don’t completely understand it but I honestly don’t think they will change their formula
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

LHamilton

I'm also leaning towards Albon being retained. I think as long as he gets within the points in the next coming races and more so top 8, I think they will retain him, thinking that next years car might suit him better. You can't ignore the fact that one of the reasons might be his nationality, and some bias from the upper hierarchy at Red Bull. So a bit of leniency might very well be Albons saviour in this case.

Although it would be somewhat logical to have Hulk/Perez in the Alpha Tauri, I struggle to see them taking an elder driver into that team. That seat is Tsunodas, and if he does not manage to get a SL, Kyat probably retains that seat given that he is within the RB Academy.

Big Tea

I think RBR know why Albon is struggling, and what to do to fix it, but it is not worth the investment this year. Possibly something in the design of next years car will be 'adjustable' to allow both Max and Albon to get a set up they like.

There does seem to be some influence for Albons nationality too, but I do not think it would be the only reason. Red Bull may, as I say, know what the problem is, and perhaps feel that who ever drives will have the same problem. It puts me in mind of Porsche of the 70's. People could either drive them hard or they (me) could not.
The car handled fine if you could adapt to something that wagged its tail, but many people drove them and had such a fright they could never get the confidence back.
As many will attest to, it handled fine, but many will also attest they would not go anywhere near the limit.

PlatinumZealot

So true. I remember Porsche was considered death on four wheels if you didn't know what you were doing.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

notsofast

After hearing Hamilton after the race, I think there's a non-zero chance that he may retire. Imagine Max considering that possibility. "Do I want Perez as a team mate or do I want him in Hamilton's Mercedes? What if I go to Mercedes myself and the team turns to crap without Lewis?" :-)

raymondu999

notsofast wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 04:21
After hearing Hamilton after the race, I think there's a non-zero chance that he may retire. Imagine Max considering that possibility. "Do I want Perez as a team mate or do I want him in Hamilton's Mercedes? What if I go to Mercedes myself and the team turns to crap without Lewis?" :-)
Which interview? Is it the wdc presser? Can you elaborate? I didn’t really watch the presser video yet and I’m curious what there has prompted such a deduction from you
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Big Tea

notsofast wrote:
You make a good point here. I believe many people under estimate the Hamilton effect in the team. As was the Schumacher effect at Ferrari of the time.

Mercedes are unquestionably a superb team, the best at the moment, but how much of this is Toto a,d how much is Hamilton? The whole F1 'thing' is about a couple of % between good and best. A focus could make that difference easily.

Manoah2u

raymondu999 wrote:
16 Nov 2020, 08:45
notsofast wrote:
Which interview? Is it the wdc presser? Can you elaborate? I didn’t really watch the presser video yet and I’m curious what there has prompted such a deduction from you
I agree to the OP.

The post-race interview with Martin Brundle was very odd to me, including the moment he made the WDC in the cooldown lap.

He cried, and was extremely emotional, and was thanking the team for this yourney and how they can make things possible and how he never imagined he would amount to this, and he motivated young people that anything is possible if you go for it.

However, the way he portrayed this, how extremely emotional he was about it, was like somebody who just ran his final race and retires permanently. It was almost like this was also the last possibility of Merc dominance, it was that 'odd' to me. It looked and felt like he 'said goodbye' in a sense and that after the final 2020 GP he's going to retire from F1 permanently.

So much really that I was wondering whether he was preparing to shock the F1 world by announcing his departure from F1 right then and right there.

It left me dazed and confused to be honest.

As such, I agree with the OP, that all of a sudden, there's a lingering possibility that Hamilton actually does NOT renew his contract even for 2021, and that that means Mercedes needs a replacement.

The big question here then is going to be: with whom?

As Vettel has - supposedly - a contract with AMR for 2021, I think we can count him out. Which strikes me as odd and interesting as I could imagine there's nobody Mercedes would rather sign than Vettel, being a 4-time German WDC, and 'all' they need is 3 titles with Vettel to come on the same level as Hamilton and Schumacher, BOTH Mercedes drivers, with Schumi having achieved most his success with Ferrari offcourse, but from his career start till his career finish very much Mercedes.

However, since Vettel is now contracted, I don't think he would be available anymore.
This then would leave an opportunity for the 2nd Mercedes seat for a 'bunch' of guys, but i'd say most likely:

1. Verstappen. 2. Russell 3. Perez.

Verstappen definately has a clause in which he can jump ship, and he is the most wanted driver right now after Hamilton. Then there's obviously Russell, but he's still vastly inexperienced and I think would be as much of a question mark to put in the big team as Bruno Senna was back in the day when Brawn 'bought' Honda and decided to go with Barrichello instead. Lastly, there's Perez, not only very experienced but also super fast and bringing interesting sponsors.

It would also bring some interest in why neither Hamilton nor Perez is yet confirmed/signed for 2021.
After all, Perez would shoot himself in the head if he would sign with RBR right now, only to find out in two races that then a seat opens up @ Mercedes and Russell or Verstappen grabs that seat, which atleast COULD have been his.

Despite Verstappen arguably being the faster driver, and in posession of a exit clause no doubt, Max probably will be more expensive and still has to be bought away, whereas Perez is a known quantity, a free man, and brings a big bag of sponsors and lots of money and stability.

I personally would believe Mercedes would choose Perez over Russell to be honest, and would leave Russell for replacing bottas in 2022.

Back to RBR, that would also somewhat 'explain' why there has been no 100% decision on either of the 4 drivers 'except' for Gasly.

If Verstappen goes to Mercedes, then they absolutely NEED Perez, but ALSO need Albon so they have somebody for the 2nd seat. And with Albon @ RBR, they need a seat for the AlphaTauri cars, one being obviously Gasly, the other has not been confirmed yet to be Tsunoda,Kvyat or Albon himself (whom is supposedly reluctant to go back).
Again, if Verstappen bails, then they NEED to keep Albon. If Verstappen 100% stays, then they can either keep Albon, demote him to AT, or simply ditch him. All three decisions come down to Verstappen.
If Verstappen bails, then not only do they NEED to keep Albon, they also NEED to fill Max' seat. They have Kvyat and Gasly in their portfolio, but still, I doubt they'd actually go with either of them over Perez.

Lastly, Perez thus not only has the opportunity to sign with either RedBull or Haas, he might even be up for a Mercedes seat.

Interestingly, we could see Perez cling that seat from Hamilton (that would make him repeat the Mclaren void years ago) for 2021, and then see Verstappen move to Mercedes for 2022. Verstappen-Perez is a very strong pair.

Looks like Hamilton has a very strong hold on F1's future.

Hell, perhaps Alonso is going to slam his head against the walls if he discovers he 'quickly' signed with Renault as he didn't want to wait for 2022, and now loses his opportunity for a Merc seat :lol:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"