Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Big Tea wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 22:35
PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 20:10
Hulkenback III for next week surely?

Or Mick Schumacher?
Can Mick drive yet? Has he been awarded his points or do they come at season end?
I dont follow licenses points that closely to be honest. But you are right kikely he hasnt enough to actually race and it may be dangerous without enough testing.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

NathanOlder

So he wont be in F1, if he managed to win the F2, then he would have no where to drive ? as I think the F2 champion has to leave still ? or has that changed recently ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

PlatinumZealot

If he is smart, he chumps up the change and do a test driver role with a few free practice sessions.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racer X

Sergio Pérez is leaving Formula 1 at the end of the season. RedBull let him know they are keeping Albon. So that is the reason for his press conference. So that he could let his fans know directly.

Now Albon needs to step up his game. Show the world he's not in F1 because of his nationality.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

ringo

Hamilton has covid19..

I guess any driver can win in his car..

So whos taking the seat? :mrgreen:

Hulk, Alonso, Russel, Kubica, Guitierez, Verstappen, Vandorne...
For Sure!!

raymondu999

Every driver rn — “hello Toto wie gehts?”

Lol. Plot twist the sub driver wins and Bottas still doesnt win lol.

All jokes aside. May he get well soon
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Morteza

So where will Mick go? :D
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

raymondu999

Mick probably will fill the Haas seat
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

LHamilton

Right, so Mazepin confirmed for HAAS, and most likely a PREMA driver due to the announcement of Oscar Piastri. Most likely the rumoured lineup of Mick and Mazepin. Just depends on how much power Mazepins Senior has, if he wants two russians within his team. The deal might be Schwartzman in 2022 and Mick going to either Ferrari or, most likely, Alfa Romeo.

So HAAS went for an all rookie lineup. Risky. I don't think it was the best move in terms of being competitive and moving up the field. I kinda dislike Mazepin, so any sympathies that there was for HAAS might very well be gone. And judging by some other comments, I will not be suprised if people share their dislike towards Mazepin and the direction from which HAAS has gone to. Obviously needed money, but you would think there were other opportunities to bring in some.

This might just mean that both Perez and Hulkenberg is left out of F1. Two years out for Hulk will probably end his F1 career. Perez being a little bit younger and some other things working for him might have a chance in 2022.

Manoah2u

Obviously, it'll be Mick alongside Mazepin @ Haas now.

With a Russian now in the field, there will be no more pressure put on the RB camp to keep Kvyat aboard, so he will be replaced by Tsunoda. This 'unfortunately' also could make it hard for Schwartzman to get into F1.

Mazepin only is in F1 because of the money daddy brings, Schwartzman has the benefit of the doubt.
However, it's not unfathomable that he'll still make his debut in 2022 with Alfa Romeo.

I would be inclined to believe that for 2022, Raikkonen and Giovanazzi could be replaced by Schwartzmann and Fittipaldi.

As for Albon, that's a curious thing. He stepped up his game a bit, probably enough to be granted a chance for 2021 to keep racing alongside Max.

However, i'm still not too sure.

Perez has claimed he has a race seat offer from a team, and plan B is a sabattical in his media statement.

I think, and this is my opinion, that last weekend was the deciding factor, and I think that includes whether Perez will race for Haas or RedBull.

Let's put it like this, I find it too coincidental that Mazepin now has been confirmed. I think Perez was probably choice number 1 for Haas, and that if the deal with Perez does not 'go through', that they will go with Mazepin. Since there is little reason that his was not announced earlier, except for if there was still a potential with Perez driving there for 2021, this leads me to believe that this weekend the decision has been made.

So concidering the two teams that Perez was to reasonably choose from : Haas or RedBull, and he probabl prefers RedBull, the only limiting factor to why this decision has not been made before is the RedBull team themselves whom will have waited to decide what or what not to do wit Albon.

It seems to me though, that now, this decision has been made. Since Perez won't be driving for Haas, I think it's most likely he will be getting a race seat for RedBull instead, meaning Albon gets the cut.

Are there signals for that? Well, let's be honest, he has not been performing according to the material he has been handed, he totaled a car in practice, and it's really not like the result of this weekend is anything to boast about. Horner himself mentioned Albon was lucky to profit from Perez' DNF.
Also, Bottas made a mess of the race aswell, so another position essentially 'given away'. Max was always going to finish P2 the least, and in 'normal' circumstances, Albon would have been P5 at best. Max also mentioned 30 to 40 seconds behind your teammate simply isn't good enough, and to 'make from that, whatever you want'.

I feel like this could indicate that they simply have already decided to wave goodbye, and Perez will come in for 2021. As such, Perez can comfortably hold his press conference and casually mention a 'sabattical'.
I also believe his mention of having 'an offer' fits, as he probably made himself (given) an offer to haas, but got (recieved) an offer from RedBull.

RedBull needs a fast driver and Sergio definately has proven to be capable. RedBull has enough 'money' to need him much less for sponsor money, of which he keeps a certain amount himself as mentioned by several media outlets. RedBull won't be bothered at all by that i'd believe.

Also, let's face it, all drivers in the RB 'driver programme' camp have cost RB money. Perez has cost them nothing at all, and is an immediate 'win'. The only drivers that up untill now have been 'a success' in that programme if i can be so critical has been Vettel, Ricciardo and Verstappen, and probably Gasly.

Albon himself has mentioned he wont be going back to Alpha Tauri, which i believe to be nothing but big talk from somebody who knows he won't be offered it anyway. So quite frankly, I believe he'll simply be out of F1 as of the 2021 season.

So I guess we will be seeing this for 2021:

Mercedes - Hamilton & Bottas
RedBull - Verstappen & Perez
Ferrari - Leclerc & Sainz
Mclaren - Ricciardo & Norris
Aston Martin - Vettel & Stroll
Renault - Alonso & Ocon
Alpha Tauri - Gasly & Tsunoda
Alfa Romeo - Raikkonen & Giovanazzi
Haas - Schumacher & Mazepin
Williams - Latifi & Russell

Then again........We could still end up seeing this

Verstappen & Bottas & Mercedes
Perez & Albon @ RedBull.

As unlikely as it is, and the more likely it is Hamilton will sign, untill Hamilton has not confirmed a race contract for 2021, this option is still open, and i'm 100% sure Max is ready to pounce on that, and RedBull will have to keep that a possibility.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

DChemTech

Manoah2u wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 12:32
Long post
Tsunoda does need to finish top 5 to acquire his superlicense, right? He is not a certainty in that respect yet - last weekend at Bahrain wasn't too great for him - if he has a poor weekend, and Lundgaard a good one, there's the possibility that Tsunoda gets a ticket back to Tokyo. In that case, what would they choose? Albon back to AT? Keep Kvyat? Or give both Perez and Hulkenberg a seat :P

Manoah2u

Interesting point.
I thought I remembered his superlicense points were guaranteed, but perhaps i was confusing that with Mick Schumacher.
Indeed, if he does not have enough superlicense points that's something to take into account.

That could indeed result in still either keeping Kvyat (unlikely), or Albon still ending up back @ Alpha Tauri.
In the end i think he has little choice if he has a contract. If Tsunoda does not get SL points enough, then i think it's guaranteed Perez will drive for RBR.
Yeah, Hulk could still end up @ Alpha Tauri then even, but I don't really think that will pan out that way though.

But it's definately a thing to concider.

However, he is in the 5th position right now in the WDC standings, and though a bad result could see him get passed by lundgaard, only 8 points behind,
he is only 2 points behind Schwartzman in P4. He only has to finish in front of Lundgaard to get his SL, which i think is little reason to believe he wont'manage.

However, if he does NOT manage, I think that would also be a swift end to his possibility to ever enter F1.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

DChemTech

Manoah2u wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 13:32
Interesting point.
I thought I remembered his superlicense points were guaranteed, but perhaps i was confusing that with Mick Schumacher.
Indeed, if he does not have enough superlicense points that's something to take into account.

That could indeed result in still either keeping Kvyat (unlikely), or Albon still ending up back @ Alpha Tauri.
In the end i think he has little choice if he has a contract. If Tsunoda does not get SL points enough, then i think it's guaranteed Perez will drive for RBR.
Yeah, Hulk could still end up @ Alpha Tauri then even, but I don't really think that will pan out that way though.

But it's definately a thing to concider.

However, he is in the 5th position right now in the WDC standings, and though a bad result could see him get passed by lundgaard, only 8 points behind,
he is only 2 points behind Schwartzman in P4. He only has to finish in front of Lundgaard to get his SL, which i think is little reason to believe he wont'manage.

However, if he does NOT manage, I think that would also be a swift end to his possibility to ever enter F1.
True, he can easily rise in the standings, too. F2 has an exciting concluding weekend ahead :)

Manoah2u

It definately will impact F1's decision making too, that is for sure.

Indeed if he manages to finish P6 in the standings, then no Tsunoda in F1 for 2021.
And indeed, this would also impact deciding who will fill the seats at both AT and RBR.

Simply put, I think it's pretty obvious Hulk won't drive for RBR. Horner himself mentioned as for Perez, his only option is RedBull, which means they have a seat for him available.
If they'd be going with Hulk, they wouldn't mention that. They'd mention it's unfortunate that a talent like Perez will have to go into a sabattical.