Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Capharol

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Unf wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 19:28
Switch between Ham and Vet seems logic - Mercedes would like to have German driver again, and Ferrari need "something special" to win championship again.

but

It seems logic only if Ham will win 7th championship with Mercedes in 2020 and then he would take a risk to not beat Schumacher anymore... or beat him on... Ferrari.
if you mean he will get his possible 8th title (after winning his 7th first) WITH Ferrari ..... not likely because then he will not be "the Hamilton that won 7 WDC's with Mercedes" but "the Hamilton that took his 8th with Ferrari" and this will be unlikely to happen and would do injustice to Mercedes and i guess Hamilton is an man of honor and knows who he has to thank for the success he has

Wass85

Hamilton would be crazy to leave Mercedes next season. They have shown they can master a regulation change and you would pick that team above any for 2021.

Lewis is not going anywhere unless he knows they are hanging the gloves up.

dans79

The only reason I could see Lewis going to Ferrari would be for a massive pay check, and by that I mean substantially more than what he is making now. Imo, Lewis likes low stress and no drama, and Ferrari is the exact opposite of that right now.
197 104 103 7

Wass85

dans79 wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 19:54
The only reason I could see Lewis going to Ferrari would be for a massive pay check, and by that I mean substantially more than what he is making now. Imo, Lewis likes low stress and no drama, and Ferrari is the exact opposite of that right now.
He's rich beyond his wildest dreams. He wants to break Schumacher's record and the only sensible way to do that is drive for Mercedes.

turbof1

Ok guys, let me get something clear:

Our position of being moderator does not mean we are excluded from participating in discussions, and it neither means we can't have an opinion on matters. We are perfectly allowed to have those. And please, we also expect people when we participate as members, to threat us as members. We are only here as moderators to ensure forum policy is being followed.

So please do not convolute having an opinion for a moderator having bias. Acting as a member and acting as a moderator are 2 completely separate things. In one we can have opinions, which you are perfectly allowed to agree or disagree with and go into discussion, in the other we apply forum policy and in that we do not take opinion into consideration. In that case we don't care if you like/dislike Vettel, Hamilton, Trump or Stalin. We only care about order and decency, rationality and honesty.

So trying to patronize a moderator for having an opinion as a member, and basically telling him/her "you have to watch out with your opinions, you are a moderator!" is frankly a blow below the belt.

Regarding the events here specifically, nothing that was said was controversial. It was not even favorism to wards one or other driver. The statement was that whoever has the better car, wins the championship and wins races generally (of course there are always exceptions). That's not an unfair point. certainly not controversial or biased.

Anybody who complaints about moderation is free to contact us. You can even contact the moderator in question him/herself. As long as you remain reasonable and respectful, like we expect you to be towards your fellow members, we will listen. We are not perfect and we can make mistakes, and we welcome members to point them out should we make mistakes. But we never judge with preference in our minds. That's the truth.

Anyone wishing to react on this, or on the past events, is free to contact us. We are not going to derail the topic further, so I am drawing a line underneath that right here. Again, we will hear to anybody with grievances. Send us a PM.
#AeroFrodo

raymondu999

Wass85 wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 19:38
Hamilton would be crazy to leave Mercedes next season. They have shown they can master a regulation change and you would pick that team above any
I agree. They have won every title on the first season of every regulation change since 2009. The only blight on that is the 2010-2013 red bull run
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Bill

F1 is going 180 degrees change with budget caps all top 4 Renault included will be operating at similar budgets. Top 3 will have to cut staff members so it's whole new ballgame. Lewis has many titles with nothing to prove I am sure he can afford to take the gamble.

izzy

Bill wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 09:16
F1 is going 180 degrees change with budget caps all top 4 Renault included will be operating at similar budgets. Top 3 will have to cut staff members so it's whole new ballgame. Lewis has many titles with nothing to prove I am sure he can afford to take the gamble.
It's such an emotional thing to drive for Ferrari isn't it, just like it's an emotional team, chaotic but brilliant. He might do it, crazily, or he might stay sensible, gamblers choice as you say

Either way the big teams will have the best infrastructure and keep the best people, the budget cap won't level the field much, tho hopefully the redistribution will help. Personally I'd love to see Lewis in a Newey car, dreaming :)

GPR-A

izzy wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 11:31
Bill wrote:
It's such an emotional thing to drive for Ferrari isn't it, just like it's an emotional team, chaotic but brilliant. He might do it, crazily, or he might stay sensible, gamblers choice as you say

Either way the big teams will have the best infrastructure and keep the best people, the budget cap won't level the field much, tho hopefully the redistribution will help. Personally I'd love to see Lewis in a Newey car, dreaming :)
It would be naive to think the top teams would lay off staff. For instance, Mercedes F1 team can easily move a number of people into Mercedes HPP division and can continue working on the car as Engine division doesnt come under budget restrictions. Same with Ferrari too. By keeping driver and high level management salaries out of the restrictions, it becomes even more easier. Remember, these are some of the smartest people in the business.

turbof1

I got from sources that Mercedes layed off a lot of people after 2014 in the PU department. They used a big number of staff for the power unit development, and when it was done, they scrapped a lot of headcount.

For sure a lot of staff will be moved to different departments at Daimler, but there will be layoffs. Also you can't just put a CFD employee on engine development. It's not their area of expertise. Providing the proper education is expensive and time consuming too, if the employee wants that at all.
#AeroFrodo

Big Tea

izzy wrote:
Bill wrote:

I do not see Lewis in the mold of Ferrari worship. He is now a Mercedes icon and is in his 'comfort zone', why should he change? If he was to change, I see it being to a resurgent Mclaren, as this was his target when growing up and may still feel he has unfinished business there. Does he even have a Ferrari road car? He seems uninterested in the name and the image.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

izzy

GPR -A wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 11:39
It would be naive to think the top teams would lay off staff. For instance, Mercedes F1 team can easily move a number of people into Mercedes HPP division and can continue working on the car as Engine division doesnt come under budget restrictions. Same with Ferrari too. By keeping driver and high level management salaries out of the restrictions, it becomes even more easier. Remember, these are some of the smartest people in the business.
My feeling is they have to drop some staff otherwise it'd be like giving the whole budget cap thing/Liberty the finger. They'll make up for it with getting more out of each person with better tools, latest machines, more automation, and with 1,000 people they can't all be great can they, HR will be going round saying to department heads: "any idiots you wanna get rid of? Otmar's making enquiries." :D

but yes also they can move some to Daimler Technologies or whoever, Red Bull Technologies, Magneti Marelli etc etc. The whole cost cutting concept for F1 is a general fail afaic

izzy

Big Tea wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 12:44
I do not see Lewis in the mold of Ferrari worship. He is now a Mercedes icon and is in his 'comfort zone', why should he change? If he was to change, I see it being to a resurgent Mclaren, as this was his target when growing up and may still feel he has unfinished business there. Does he even have a Ferrari road car? He seems uninterested in the name and the image.
after 2010 on when they gave the spotlight to Jenson, put that Sam Michael in with the pit stops, took Phil Prew away and gave him a rookie RE, and then Ron getting caught badmouthing him to DrZ, i don't think Lewis actually has a lot of love for McLaren, even if he and Ron were nice to each other over the 6th wdc

Yes he has at least one Ferrari, a LaFerrari in California or maybe Colorado. He's always said good things about Ferrari, i think there's definitely a pull. i mean yes he'd be insane, but then he is obviously, look at that hair

jumpingfish

Big Tea wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 12:44
izzy wrote:
Bill wrote:

Two LaFerrari, white and red :D

turbof1

The thing is, you'll never turn down Ferrari lightly. There's something mystical about racing for the brand, which attracts every driver. That being said, Hamilton will only jump ship if he is convinced he can win a WDC with them.
#AeroFrodo