Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Big Tea wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 12:44
izzy wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 11:31
Bill wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 09:16
F1 is going 180 degrees change with budget caps all top 4 Renault included will be operating at similar budgets. Top 3 will have to cut staff members so it's whole new ballgame. Lewis has many titles with nothing to prove I am sure he can afford to take the gamble.
It's such an emotional thing to drive for Ferrari isn't it, just like it's an emotional team, chaotic but brilliant. He might do it, crazily, or he might stay sensible, gamblers choice as you say

Either way the big teams will have the best infrastructure and keep the best people, the budget cap won't level the field much, tho hopefully the redistribution will help. Personally I'd love to see Lewis in a Newey car, dreaming :)
I do not see Lewis in the mold of Ferrari worship. He is now a Mercedes icon and is in his 'comfort zone', why should he change? If he was to change, I see it being to a resurgent Mclaren, as this was his target when growing up and may still feel he has unfinished business there. Does he even have a Ferrari road car? He seems uninterested in the name and the image.
At least two. A La Ferrari and another one. I think he knows greatness lies at finishing at Ferrari. It's alluring to ANY driver. Just too tempting!!! haha. I think he will do it. I would say he has more than paid his dues for McLaren and Mercedes.. Hmm Ferrari. The last frontier. Lauda might have been whispering to him about it too.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Maritimer
Maritimer

I'm willing to bet Mercedes would double his retainer to keep him from Ferrari. They wont want to be the team that got him to the doorstep and let him go somewhere else to round off his career as one of the best ever. Hes too valuable as a marketing tool, and he knows it as well as the board of directors does.

PlatinumZealot

For the drivers I believe Ferrari would be better off with Sebastian staying put. He knows the team well and let's face it, he is STILL frickin quick! I think a "problem" of two Alpha drivers is a good one to have. The main thing is getting the management of them correct. If Sebastian or Sharley boy obey team orders as appropriate Ferrari should have no problem securing the WCC. It is about how Binotto can make them toe the line. He might be compelled to do it contractually going into 2021.

If one of the current drivers must go I could see these drivers making a good fit at Ferrari. Experienced and reliable.

Bottas (Affable )
Perez (alfa )
Ricciardo (affable )
Hulkenberg (affable )
Giovinazzi ( for being Italian)
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Bottas is a joke at Mercedes, would be a bigger joke at Ferrari.
Hulkenberg is old news, and it's better to wave him goodbye from F1 permanently.
Giovanazzi is boring, untalented and isn't even worthy of Alfa, let alone Ferrari.

Ricciardo is a good option. Perez is questionable.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 03:00
I think he knows greatness lies at finishing at Ferrari. It's alluring to ANY driver. Just too tempting!!!
So the only way to be great is to drive for Ferrari? Wow. Who knew Eddie Irvine was great...? :shock:

Hamilton doesn't need to go to Ferrari to attain greatness. He's already got it - in terms of stats, he's up there with the mythical names from the history of the sport. Fangio, Clark, Schumacher, Hamilton. His name sits comfortably with them now. Another title, either with Mercedes or Ferrari makes no real difference other than willy-waving about total number of titles or race wins. Winning a title with Ferrari would allow him to say he'd done the job with three teams rather than two. Meh, so what?

As it happens, I'm not convinced Hamilton will win another title anyway. I think one of the young guns will finish his run this coming season.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Scorpaguy

Both Hamilton and Ferrari need each other like grilled halibut needs chocolate sauce. Ham has been on the best team for 6 years..and the future points to the continuation of such Merc class. Recently Ferrari have shown the ability to produce flashes of brilliance, but not the overall dominance and professionalism Ham is used to (and what is needed to secure a WDC). Ferrari does not need a driver of Ham's caliber publicly decrying/denouncing their oft sophomoric performance level and inane strategy calls.

I believe all is just talk for the sake of needing subjects to discuss in the off season.
Last edited by Scorpaguy on 06 Dec 2019, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.

izzy
izzy

Scorpaguy wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 19:39
Both Hamilton and Ferrari need each other like grilled halibut needs chocolate sauce.
lol, most perfect analogy ever :lol:

FrukostScones

HAM will never race for Ferrari.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

graham.reeds
graham.reeds

FrukostScones wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 20:26
HAM will never race for Ferrari.
A £1 bet for charity?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Scorpaguy wrote:
Both Hamilton and Ferrari need each other like grilled halibut needs chocolate sauce.
Heston Blumenthal says: hold my beer

(for those that aren't aware of him, this is a two Michelin star chef who invented dishes such as snail porridge, and bacon and egg ice cream)

Edax
Edax

Scorpaguy wrote:
Both Hamilton and Ferrari need each other like grilled halibut needs chocolate sauce. Ham has been on the best team for 6 years..and the future points to the continuation of such Merc class. Recently Ferrari have shown the ability to produce flashes of brilliance, but not the overall dominance and professionalism Ham is used to (and what is needed to secure a WDC). Ferrari does not need a driver of Ham's caliber publicly decrying/denouncing their oft sophomoric performance level and inane strategy calls.

I believe all is just talk for the sake of needing subjects to discuss in the off season.
https://www.newscancook.com/recipe/halibut-with-cocoa/

:D

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 17:16
PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 Dec 2019, 03:00
I think he knows greatness lies at finishing at Ferrari. It's alluring to ANY driver. Just too tempting!!!
So the only way to be great is to drive for Ferrari? Wow. Who knew Eddie Irvine was great...? :shock:

Hamilton doesn't need to go to Ferrari to attain greatness. He's already got it - in terms of stats, he's up there with the mythical names from the history of the sport. Fangio, Clark, Schumacher, Hamilton. His name sits comfortably with them now. Another title, either with Mercedes or Ferrari makes no real difference other than willy-waving about total number of titles or race wins. Winning a title with Ferrari would allow him to say he'd done the job with three teams rather than two. Meh, so what?

As it happens, I'm not convinced Hamilton will win another title anyway. I think one of the young guns will finish his run this coming season.
So you dont believe the Mercedes will be competitive then? I cant see another driver not named Alonso beatimg Hamilton in equal cars next season... Normally in Sport the young guns would have speed and fitness over the older guys but this is not the case with Lewis. He is just as fast if not faster than them and his team is a well oiled machine. It is going to be a tall order. If Bottas gets his race more consistent too they will have to deal with him first before they can touch Hamilton.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Edax wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 21:41
Scorpaguy wrote:

https://www.newscancook.com/recipe/halibut-with-cocoa/

:D
:mrgreen: :wtf:

Got him!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
07 Dec 2019, 01:31

So you dont believe the Mercedes will be competitive then?
They'll be competitive but if RB is close enough, Max has the luxury of having a number 2 team mate. Bottas is allowed to compete, Leclerc and Vettel will be tripping over each other. In a close driver title race, this gives Max a small advantage. That's assuming RBR are on equal-ish terms with Mercedes. If RBR take a step forward and start ahead of Mercedes, then Max will be suitably advantaged by the other two teams having drivers that fight each other.

PlatinumZealot

It will be very interest
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏