Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wass85
Wass85

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

raymondu999 wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 07:25
I think Hamilton driving at the level he is now, would win the title in the 2018, and maybe even 2017 Ferraris. However - I don’t think Hamilton would be able to drive to the same level at Ferrari at all.

The same issues blighting Vettel, in terms of lack of team direction, team strategy, etc would also force Hamilton to overreach or overwhelm himself (I would think) - which would then take capacity away from him.

It’s one of the reasons Horner and Vettel worked so well, and likewise Wolff-Hamilton, or Schumacher-Todt-Brawn. The team chief cocooned the driver such that all they had to worry about was what they do best.

I get that people say he could be a Ferrari WDC - but I don’t think they are taking this into account
Those strategy errors and mechanical problems at Ferrari would soon get Hamilton paranoid, especially if his teammate was having a clear run.

The last thing you want to do at Ferrari is alienate yourself within the team. I just can't see it working for Lewis there, especially having two star drivers.

NathanOlder

langedweil wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 03:47
NathanOlder wrote:
26 Jan 2020, 14:15
Also what people need to remember is, if Lewis was in the Ferrari in 17 and 18, I'd bet a large amount on him winning at least 1 of those titles.
Hard to say, because aside the driving he'd still have the antics of the Ferrari team, tactics and screw ups, and he would have to adapt himself to the Ferrari car which could have been a hell of a different car compared to the very stable Merc platform and philosophy ..
All those things need to be taken into account besides his racecraft.
True, but if Vettel with all those mistakes, and the antics behind the scenes as you put it, was able to finish runner up twice to a Hamilton who drover almost 100% perfect across those 2 years, remembering that there probably isn't anyone in history of F1 who has done that across 2 years!! No way Vettel would have scored as many pics in the Merc as Lewis did. I know its impossible to predict or ever know, but to say Vettel could have performed as well as Lewis while Lewis was at his very best, and arguably the best we have ever seen is a bold claim.

Anyway, I think Lewis winning a title in the 17-19 Ferrari's was very realistic!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

raymondu999 wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 07:25
I think Hamilton driving at the level he is now, would win the title in the 2018, and maybe even 2017 Ferraris. However - I don’t think Hamilton would be able to drive to the same level at Ferrari at all.

The same issues blighting Vettel, in terms of lack of team direction, team strategy, etc would also force Hamilton to overreach or overwhelm himself (I would think) - which would then take capacity away from him.

It’s one of the reasons Horner and Vettel worked so well, and likewise Wolff-Hamilton, or Schumacher-Todt-Brawn. The team chief cocooned the driver such that all they had to worry about was what they do best.

I get that people say he could be a Ferrari WDC - but I don’t think they are taking this into account
But the only reason Vettel didnt win the championships were because Lewis had such a great run in the Merc, plus Vettel mad so many bad errors. If you took Lewis out of the Merc, Ferrari would have been much stronger and more likely to win something
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

raymondu999

But the only reason Vettel didnt win the championships were because Lewis had such a great run in the Merc, plus Vettel mad so many bad errors
My point is Lewis in the Ferrari, should he move - barring any huge change in team philosophy - would likely do similar errors and be in a similar position.

Vettel may be not as good a driver as Hamilton in certain aspects - but if he was in the Merc team driving those cars, he would also have done less mistakes and had a better run than he did. Would that “run” be equal, or better, or worse than Lewis’s? Nobody knows and nobody would ever know. Except those people in that parallel universe where he’s driving the Merc instead of Lewis
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Jambier

I think the most important for FERRARI would be to have WOLFF

Let's remember that he is more important than the drivers itself in Mercedes recent success.

But I don't see any scenario with Wolff at Ferrari, hence no chance to see Hamilton there.
Wolff + Hamilton is a perfect duo, they will stick together

Wass85
Wass85

Alonso basically begging for a drive at Mercedes, wanting to exploit Hamilton's weaknesses.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/fernando- ... amilton-2/

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Wass85 wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 17:49
Alonso basically begging for a drive at Mercedes, wanting to exploit Hamilton's weaknesses.

If the weaknesses are real:
He said: “It would be nice to compete against him in a proper fight. Maybe his weak points are not real and everything is calculated but it would be nice to discover.
Of course, Alonso had one go at it back when Hamilton was still a starry-eyed rookie finding his way in the big bad world of F1. And Hamilton showed Alonso his own weakness. :wink: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Wass85
Wass85

Just_a_fan wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 18:54
Wass85 wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 17:49

If the weaknesses are real:
He said: “It would be nice to compete against him in a proper fight. Maybe his weak points are not real and everything is calculated but it would be nice to discover.
Of course, Alonso had one go at it back when Hamilton was still a starry-eyed rookie finding his way in the big bad world of F1. And Hamilton showed Alonso his own weakness. :wink: :lol:
Wouldn't it be good for the sport, you must admit you're bored to death of the Bottas partnership?

Him beating Alonso again would be about equal to another title.

If I was Hamilton I'd grab the 7th and then have a word with Mercedes to sign up Alonso for 2021.

LM10
LM10

NathanOlder wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 09:49
langedweil wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
Also what people need to remember is, if Lewis was in the Ferrari in 17 and 18, I'd bet a large amount on him winning at least 1 of those titles.
Hard to say, because aside the driving he'd still have the antics of the Ferrari team, tactics and screw ups, and he would have to adapt himself to the Ferrari car which could have been a hell of a different car compared to the very stable Merc platform and philosophy ..
True, but if Vettel with all those mistakes, and the antics behind the scenes as you put it, was able to finish runner up twice to a Hamilton who drover almost 100% perfect across those 2 years, remembering that there probably isn't anyone in history of F1 who has done that across 2 years!! No way Vettel would have scored as many pics in the Merc as Lewis did. I know its impossible to predict or ever know, but to say Vettel could have performed as well as Lewis while Lewis was at his very best, and arguably the best we have ever seen is a bold claim.

Anyway, I think Lewis winning a title in the 17-19 Ferrari's was very realistic!
19? You can’t be serious about that. :lol:
Ferrari was miles behind.

Wass85
Wass85

LM10 wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 19:55
NathanOlder wrote:
langedweil wrote:

That would have been a stretch I must say. 😂

PlatinumZealot

Would be a dream to see HAM at Ferrari but i got a soft spoot for Charles I don't wanna see him get crushed. Not sure how it can go down smoothly.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

langedweil

NathanOlder wrote:
langedweil wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
Ehm, I didn't claim anything, just said a lot more needs to be taken into account. No matter what level of prime performance he showed.

In my humble opinion he's one of the best drivers of the current and past grid, but a big heap of his current status is related to an impeccable car/platform/pu for years and years.
That is partly luck, but also partly being at the right place at the right time surrounded by the right people with the right intention and money to play for.

He's a great driver, but also slips into errors when pressure is applied. So until he truthfully wins the WDC in the 2nd/3rd best car, he ain't the goat to me. Entirely personal and perhaps shortsighted ... but it is what it is :)
HuggaWugga !

Wass85
Wass85

langedweil wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 06:14
NathanOlder wrote:
langedweil wrote:

Ehm, I didn't claim anything, just said a lot more needs to be taken into account. No matter what level of prime performance he showed.

In my humble opinion he's one of the best drivers of the current and past grid, but a big heap of his current status is related to an impeccable car/platform/pu for years and years.
That is partly luck, but also partly being at the right place at the right time surrounded by the right people with the right intention and money to play for.

He's a great driver, but also slips into errors when pressure is applied. So until he truthfully wins the WDC in the 2nd/3rd best car, he ain't the goat to me. Entirely personal and perhaps shortsighted ... but it is what it is :)
You've done it now. 😂😂

NathanOlder

LM10 wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 19:55
NathanOlder wrote:
langedweil wrote:

The 8 key is right next to the 9 key on most keyboards #-o :roll: :lol: my bad.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

NathanOlder

langedweil wrote:
29 Jan 2020, 06:14
NathanOlder wrote:
langedweil wrote:

Well 2008 he arguably won in the second best car, as it wasnt a constructor championship car. Then the 17 and 18 years werent exactly the best car. A lot of people will say the Ferrari was stronger than the Merc for more races in those years. But forgetting that, Id love you to tell me who your current GOAT is, and when he won titles in the 3rd best car ?

94 is not the case due to 1 Benetton being very different to the other, and most cases in the decades before that are hardly true as someone may win a championship in a slower car due to the faster cars being more unreliable. But that in turn makes the slower car actually the better car! Remember were not talking about the fastest car, we are talking about the best car, and the best means the whole package IMO.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.