FIRST LOOK: Formula 1’s 2021 car in the wind tunnel

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
strad

Re: FIRST LOOK: Formula 1’s 2021 car in the wind tunnel

To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Just_a_fan

They could, if they could fit a suitably large rolling road section to it...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

jjn9128

strad wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 20:26
They could borrow this one... :lol:
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the ... california
Well if it's good enough for Mythbusters...
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

strad

I knew there was one ..Took me a few minutes to find it. Ganassi owns this one...I couldn't find it because I thought Penske owned it...:
https://www.racecar-engineering.com/art ... urel-hill/
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

markc

Nice Strad, I thought of Laurel Hill, however, you beat me to it! Also a new one is being built in the UK according to the last paragraph of the article you shared, in Catsby, Northampton, approx 15km away from Silverstone Circuit, which I find very interesting!

Just_a_fan

If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

markc

Those pesky e's! I didn't even notice Google maps correcting. Also a bbc vid from 2017 on same:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... acing-cars

carisi2k

The problem with the rear wing is that there is too much of it. The only way to get air to flow through is to remove as many obstacles as possible in it's path. So the lower element and the elongated end plated need to go as far as I am concerned if they want to reduce turbulence to the car behind.

jjn9128

carisi2k wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 10:47
The problem with the rear wing is that there is too much of it. The only way to get air to flow through is to remove as many obstacles as possible in it's path. So the lower element and the elongated end plated need to go as far as I am concerned if they want to reduce turbulence to the car behind.
Not to be rude, but that's based on what? Have you got the fabled CFD eyes? :lol:

If you actually read any of the articles associated with these images you'd see the purpose of the rear wing is to thrust the low pressure "turbulent" air upwards, allowing higher pressure air to fill the void from the sides. The actual rear wing wake is high enough that it won't affect the following car, and how is affects the rest of the wake is extremely beneficial. If you didn't have it then the wake of the rear wheels and floor just sort of hangs around and affects the following car more, the exposed wheels BTW are the most significant part of the wake when it comes to dirty air/turbulence.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Smokes

Does anyone know how or if the FIA would calculate/measure the volumetric fill rate of the wake ?

I assuming is the generated wake is 0.6bar of turbulent air it should fill to .9 bar of slightly less turbulent air assuming 1 bar is atmospheric.

I wonder if this could set by the FIA to stop teams building cars with a shed loads of wake.

carisi2k

yep I have cfd eyes. We shall see but the motorsport series with the best racing tend to have very little aerodynamic appendages. Look at motogp or mid 1980's F1 cars and how simple they were for inspiration. It was when adrian newey introduced the lower beam wing in the late 80's and early 90's on the march and williams when things started to get difficult for overtaking. They also need to reduce the width of the cars as well. That high pressure air from the sides will be turbulent as well because it will be moving to fill the void created by trying to push turbulent air over the top.

I do like the simplification of the cars and the removal of the barge boards and all of those unnecessary appendages but that lower beam wing needs to go as do the long end plates.

jjn9128

carisi2k wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 00:11
yep I have cfd eyes. We shall see but the motorsport series with the best racing tend to have very little aerodynamic appendages. Look at motogp or mid 1980's F1 cars and how simple they were for inspiration. It was when adrian newey introduced the lower beam wing in the late 80's and early 90's on the march and williams when things started to get difficult for overtaking. They also need to reduce the width of the cars as well. That high pressure air from the sides will be turbulent as well because it will be moving to fill the void created by trying to push turbulent air over the top.

I do like the simplification of the cars and the removal of the barge boards and all of those unnecessary appendages but that lower beam wing needs to go as do the long end plates.
CFD eyes but no understanding of aerodynamics :roll:
#aerogandalf

FW17

So finally after 25 years we say goodbye to the stepped floor?

Maybe they should have put the step on the outer edge of the floor, may look better than the curved floor edge in the model

FW17

Will they continue the research on a pair of actual cars on track to validate their wind tunnel results?

The mule can be a pair of formula 2 cars built by dallara