Which drivers have the smoothest driving style?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mzso

Which drivers have the smoothest driving style?

Hello!
I was wondering which current racers are considered to have the smoothest driving style? The sort that Prost and I think Button was known for.
Not sure if the two are closely related, but: who brakes the earliest in a turn?

DChemTech

Re: Which drivers have the smoothest driving style?

Are you asking which driver is the most... Smooth operator?

8)

Neno

I would say in recent years maybe Perez. He could do things to his mates what nobody else did. Stay on track longer with competitive times to challenge for different strategies and luck into few podiums as result.

You can only do that if you have both experience and knowledge of understanding tires. Or that kind of racing suited you more than others. But I think recently even that advantage Perez had disappeared with change of regs in 2017 where can now either works on tracks (with weather and temps) or dont. And driver has zero say in it.

PlatinumZealot

Perez is also very strong on the brakes... don't know if that conflicts with smoothness?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

TAG

Smooth drivers in recent history, Kimi, Button, Hulkenberg. IMO smooth isn't necessarily fast, it's just smooth meaning less taxing on car overall. But as already noted you can have someone who isn't "smooth" Hamilton and Alonso for example, Hamilton one of smoothest steering input making him easy on tires and Alonso very smooth on throttle application, but both not considered smooth drivers.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Big Tea

There is more than one way to quantify smooth. do you mean steady calm input to the steering wheel or position disrupting the car?
They go hand in hand to a large extent, especially today with the electronics, but some drivers seem to be sawing away at the wheel while the car sits so stable while others seem to skip about.
True much of this is down to the car though
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

marmer

Stroll is the most active on the steering wheel. I would guess that someone like k mag is the hardest on the power although that might be the cars issues not really his fault

Just_a_fan

Button was "smooth" because he did the classic geometric cornering line with single application and then removal of lock as the corner progressed, applied the throttle progressively etc. Lovely and smooth. And sadly not the fastest way to drive some of the cars of recent years. Also, it hampered him when the car was less than ideally balanced as he would have to wait for the car. Hamilton would be quick almost all of the time by being able to adapt his technique to the car. Button said as much in interviews about his time at McLaren with Hamilton - he is only properly quick when the car is where he wants it, but Hamilton was always quick - and that is a flaw, to be honest.

Look back at Senna's approach - he had a bizarre technique with the throttle where he would pump it up and down in a corner. Not "smooth" but certainly one of the quickest drivers of his day, if not ever.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mzso

Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 12:07
Look back at Senna's approach - he had a bizarre technique with the throttle where he would pump it up and down in a corner. Not "smooth" but certainly one of the quickest drivers of his day, if not ever.
Perhaps, but Prost was just as fast, meanwhile not putting near as much demand on the car. That's why its interesting to me.

raymondu999

I think personally there are 2 things we need to consider. Smooth lines; and smooth inputs. Button’s onboards I always loved to watch. The inputs were smooth and the lines were just flowing. His laps are (when the car is hooked up to his liking) just so graceful.

I think there aren’t really any in current day F1 that have the same flowing lines he has, except Bottas. Bottas similarly seems to take the ideal-arc line through corners. Reference his lap below. However there are many with similar smooth inputs. Some onboard laps to consider; these are just drivers who in my opinion are rather smooth operators.

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

Forgot about Carlos Lines, he’s also quite a smooth cookie. A few corrective jitters in his steering but that can be down to the car being twitchier
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Sevach

Indeed, if said to me this was Button i would believed you.

raymondu999

Sevach wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 16:20
Indeed, if said to me this was Button i would believed you.
Check the Bottas onboard. It’s even smoother (probably Mercedes more balanced than Renault tho)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

NathanOlder

mzso wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 13:59
Just_a_fan wrote:
Perhaps, but Prost was just as fast, meanwhile not putting near as much demand on the car. That's why its interesting to me.
depends what you call 'As Fast'
For the 2 years they were in identical car, Senna won the Qualifying head to head 28-4. Thats unbelievable if you ask me.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

mzso

NathanOlder wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 17:11
mzso wrote:
11 Sep 2019, 13:59
Just_a_fan wrote:
depends what you call 'As Fast'
For the 2 years they were in identical car, Senna won the Qualifying head to head 28-4. Thats unbelievable if you ask me.
So? Prost finished better in races. And as far as I know he wasn't even trying to beat him after a while, he was focusing on the race.