Which drivers have the smoothest driving style?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NathanOlder

Re: Which drivers have the smoothest driving style?

So? Well I was obviously pointing out Prost was nowhere near as fast when it comes to outright speed.

If setup more for the races he obviously won more races during their time as team mates..... nope. 14.11 to Senna.
I think Prost is best described as almost as fast as Senna.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

mzso
mzso

NathanOlder wrote:
13 Sep 2019, 23:56
So? Well I was obviously pointing out Prost was nowhere near as fast when it comes to outright speed.
*In qualifying.
NathanOlder wrote:
If you want to be wrong.

raymondu999

I don’t think “smooth style” has any correlation to speed. To quote Mark Hughes, “there’s driving style, and then there is the level to which it is being expressed.”

You can be smooth and fast, smooth and slow, aggressive and slow, or aggressive and fast
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

Verstappen I’ve been watching both pole laps recently. He “feels” to me - from the limited viewing we get on onboards, he feels like 2009-2010 Vettel. Not exactly “smooth” not exactly “abrupt” inputs - but definitely tending more toward abrupt, and like to slam the throttle hard and early, with a wide exit slamming over the exit kerb.

Verstappen Hungary pole:

Reference Vettel’s Melb 2010 pole lap

Both very committed on entry, and just total belief in the throttle; willing to slam the exit kerb a little to straighten the exit

Leclerc seems to me like the old 08 hamilton. Lot’s of mid-corner corrections, sort of flowy-floating smooth-ish inputs, but less corrections. Reference Hamilton 08 and Leclerc 2019 pole laps for what I mean:

Both are prone to decreasing/increasing steering several times in a corner, although I wouldnt quite term it as hacking away quite yet.

Note that these are just stylistic observations, not really to do with speed
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Wass85
Wass85

:x 8
raymondu999 wrote:
23 Nov 2019, 06:02
Verstappen I’ve been watching both pole laps recently. He “feels” to me - from the limited viewing we get on onboards, he feels like 2009-2010 Vettel. Not exactly “smooth” not exactly “abrupt” inputs - but definitely tending more toward abrupt, and like to slam the throttle hard and early, with a wide exit slamming over the exit kerb.

Verstappen Hungary pole:
https://youtu.be/uvlHBDD2R2M

Reference Vettel’s Melb 2010 pole lap
https://youtu.be/qGW_Hu25-c0

Both very committed on entry, and just total belief in the throttle; willing to slam the exit kerb a little to straighten the exit

Leclerc seems to me like the old 08 hamilton. Lot’s of mid-corner corrections, sort of flowy-floating smooth-ish inputs, but less corrections. Reference Hamilton 08 and Leclerc 2019 pole laps for what I mean:
https://youtu.be/JFP6Bzlk5Z8
https://youtu.be/EXlK_GDRZNY

Both are prone to decreasing/increasing steering several times in a corner, although I wouldnt quite term it as hacking away quite yet.

Note that these are just stylistic observations, not really to do with speed

You have to think though it's about the car you are driving, a lot of Hamilton's recent poles have been very smooth and measured.

raymondu999

Wass85 wrote:
23 Nov 2019, 11:56
You have to think though it's about the car you are driving, a lot of Hamilton's recent poles have been very smooth and measured.
Of course. I’m just saying that stylistically their approaches were similar, in those cars on those circuits in those years
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

NathanOlder

Hamilton changed his style to what was required. Max is following suit, Charles will too no doubt.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

PlatinumZealot

Agreed. I think Max does what is needed to drive the car fast. Very adaptable.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

PlatinumZealot wrote:
23 Nov 2019, 14:04
Agreed. I think Max does what is needed to drive the car fast. Very adaptable.
Could be true, and I’ve heard it before. Until we see him drive cars with a different handling character though I think we cannot factually back up this debate. I certainly believe it, but again I have no evidence
NathanOlder wrote:
23 Nov 2019, 12:33
Hamilton changed his style to what was required. Max is following suit, Charles will too no doubt.
Yes of course. But as a snapshot, within that time range their styles were similar as pointed above
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Wass85 wrote:

Isn't it more the nature of the tyres that has led to this approach? Go hard on them and they give up before the end of the lap.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

mzso wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 00:04
NathanOlder wrote:
*In qualifying.
NathanOlder wrote:
If you want to be wrong.
And yet Prost set 41 fastest laps to Senna's 19.

Senna was a qualifying master, a rain master, and a hard racer. Prost wasn't as good as Senna in qualifying and he hated the rain, but otherwise he was a very quick guy.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Wass85
Wass85

Just_a_fan wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 11:46
Wass85 wrote:

Isn't it more the nature of the tyres that has led to this approach? Go hard on them and they give up before the end of the lap.
I don't know if that's the case tbh but if it is it just goes to show how adaptable he is.

I'm looking forward to 2021 to see if he has to adapt his driving style yet again, just a shame we have terrible Pirelli still on the scene.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Just_a_fan wrote:
24 Nov 2019, 11:57
mzso wrote:
14 Sep 2019, 00:04
NathanOlder wrote:
*In qualifying.
NathanOlder wrote:
If you want to be wrong.
And yet Prost set 41 fastest laps to Senna's 19.

Senna was a qualifying master, a rain master, and a hard racer. Prost wasn't as good as Senna in qualifying and he hated the rain, but otherwise he was a very quick guy.
Prost 41 fastest laps was because he was always trying to catch up while Senna was just cruising. Fast laps meant nothing until they were given a point recently. Prost was not anywhere as fast as Senna, but he was obviously fast enough to accomplish what he did in F1.