Changes To Qualifying

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
El Scorchio

Re: Changes To Qualifying

I’d like to see it as a novelty, definitely! But I wouldn’t want to see it every race weekend.

I’d also love to see all the drivers have a kart race during the summer break or after the end of the season. That would be amazing.

marmer

Do it at last race of the season this year just to see everything should be basically settled by then. Might bring some much needed excitement to a race with nothing riding on it

astracrazy

Maybe its a silly question, but with a reverse grid, why would you go quick just to start at the back? Would we not get drivers making a "mistake" to get a slow time and start at the front?

Just_a_fan

The idea is that the grid for the qualifying race is a reverse grid. The actual race grid is the result of the qualifying race. Thus it's important to finish high up in the qualifying grid in order to get a good start position in the actual, points-paying, race.

I think we'll see carnage in the qualifying race as the slow guys at the front basically block the guys behind. The idea is that it'll give racing, but it won't. Here's why: The guys at the front of the Q-race are only just a bit slower than those immediately behind them. They, in turn are only a bit slower than those behind them. So there will be a road block of cars jostling at the front and in the mid field. The cars at the back - the ones expected to be the title contenders - will be at a very real risk of damage / DNF trying to pass that road block. The likes of Grosjean, Magnussen, Stroll etc. are a liability on a race track at the best of times. Stick them in a bunch in front of the real contenders and they'll be driving in to people to try to stay in front.

I predict that if they do actually run with this stupid idea, it'll be scrapped within a few races. Or the stewards will start to crack down on stuff that they've spent the last couple of years trying to ignore. It's going to be most unseemly and will make F1 a bigger mockery than the Monza Q3 issue ever did.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

strad

where did all this talk of reverse grid come from?
The original articles I read simply called for a mini race to replace qualifying.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

dans79

strad wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 19:29
where did all this talk of reverse grid come from?
The original articles I read simply called for a mini race to replace qualifying.
https://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/2768 ... ying-races
197 104 103 7

strad

thanks Dans. I too think reverse grids a silly idea. I can see a straight up race to replace current qualifying but not with reverse grids.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

izzy

strad wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 19:46
thanks Dans. I too think reverse grids a silly idea. I can see a straight up race to replace current qualifying but not with reverse grids.
but how do you decide what order to start the Saturday race in?

izzy

astracrazy wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 15:44
Maybe its a silly question, but with a reverse grid, why would you go quick just to start at the back? Would we not get drivers making a "mistake" to get a slow time and start at the front?
it's the reverse of the championship positions

dans79

izzy wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 20:04
strad wrote:
draw straws or some other completely random method. If it needs to be a race fine, but don't penalize a driver/team just because they've done a better job than others.
197 104 103 7

Big Tea

izzy wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 20:06
astracrazy wrote:
Finishing order of the previous race....reversed.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

izzy

Big Tea wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 20:30
izzy wrote:
astracrazy wrote:
is that your preference or have you seen it somewhere? Sky for example is saying championship order

Big Tea

izzy wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 20:48
Big Tea wrote:
izzy wrote:

is that your preference or have you seen it somewhere? Sky for example is saying championship order
I thought I had read it, but looked at the likely suspects an can not find it. Either someone on TV said it or I am mistaken soz.

I did think I was sure, but it may be an age thing :oops:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

izzy

dans79 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 20:11
izzy wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 20:04
strad wrote:
draw straws or some other completely random method. If it needs to be a race fine, but don't penalize a driver/team just because they've done a better job than others.
random is variable, i mean it can easily be unfair for someone, with only 22 draws and 20 drivers. It's pretty unlikely in fact that they'd all get an even deal. 20 drivers can be in 2432902008176640000 different orders! So if you select 20 orders they're probably going to have some winners and losers.

Reverse championship doesn't really penalise anyone over a season. Or rather, they all get penalised equally, as whoever benefits at first gets pushed down, and then in the end it's whoever can recover most places over the season is champion. Over 22 races it's completely fair, just measuring a slightly different set of skills from the current setup

izzy

Big Tea wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 20:53
izzy wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 20:48
Big Tea wrote:

I thought I had read it, but looked at the likely suspects an can not find it. Either someone on TV said it or I am mistaken soz.

I did think I was sure, but it may be an age thing :oops:
it took me a few goes to find it, I think a lot of the media are afraid of being mistaken too! But as far as i can think championship order is the one that works, over a season