Changes To Qualifying

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
czubak
czubak

Re: Changes To Qualifying

dans79 wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 03:14
In modern F1, almost every pass you see is down to DRS, a tire performance or life delta, or the leading driver not defending to much because he has to conserve tires for the fight with their real competition.
The good racers still make a lot of difference. As we can see from Hamilton against Bottas and more spectacularly Leclerc against Vettel. They try to minimize the error. What we see is the maximum Mercedes can offer and the same with Leclerc. Which is why everyone hadn't known that Ferrari can actually compete with Mercedes until Leclerc took the task in his own hand. Your statement is accurate in addition to this.
dans79 wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 03:14
Because F1 is about more than the drivers and the cars. Its a team based development race, as much as it is anything else. In some ways you could look at it as ritualized warfare.
"Ritualized Warfare"! That's totally a random word play.

F1 is essentially a car developer's marketing platform for their progressing "formulae" within the rules inscribed by the FIA. The most important thing is the race and the challenges they face against other cars. It's the most important element of F1 Championship. Without the pure racing entertainment, F1 is exactly a car's version of Apple's show case events.

If you consider this as ritualised warfare, then every modern business management is a ritualised warfare. Even football clubs are ritualized warfare units.

Nevertheless, it is not of my concern to argue about the institutional functionality. I am not talking about it at all. I'm only concerned at why would anyone who watch the race wouldn't want closer competition. Out of the last three races, the only significant event was the defense of Leclerc against Hamilton. Everything else was simply a soap opera.
Last edited by czubak on 11 Oct 2019, 04:53, edited 1 time in total.

dans79

czubak wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 04:17
I'm only concerned at why would anyone who watch the race wouldn't want closer competition. Out of the last three race, the only event significant things was the defense of Leclerc against Hamilton. Everything else is simply a soap opera.
I'd say a lot of that comes down to the type of person you are. A lot of fans just watch the race, but I think you'll find a lot of members of this form are people who can actually see the race.

Bye see I mean, we can see the strategies unfolding, we can see the drivers setting up passes in advance.

For example in Hungary the most exciting thing for me, wasn't Lewis actually passing Max for the win. For me, it was watching the chess match that went on for most of the race.
197 104 103 7

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

My alternative qualifying format.
  • Keep the existing Q1, Q2 and Q3 format
  • For Q1, each driver gets three laps; out, qualifying, in
  • The drivers are to leave the pits in 30 second intervals, the order for Q1 is in reverse Championship order
  • Out and in laps have a minimum speed to ensure drivers do not impede each other
  • Top fifteen from Q1 go into Q2 leaving the pits in reverse order of Q1 qualifying times
  • Repeat for Q3 with the top ten from Q2
This would provide a degree of "randomness" through track evolution and tactical mistakes(someone trying to qualify slower to get a better start in the next session but going too slow, etc). But it will also reward the drivers who get their best lap under immense pressure.

RZS10

Any qualifying format which would force the drivers into a certain order of leaving the pits is rubbish for one very simple reason: in changing conditions it could screw over certain drivers thus not giving them equal opportunities ... i'm sure the backmarkers would love it but it's just an unfair system and that is why it was abandoned after tinkering with it from 2003 until 2005 iirc

Sieper

As long as 2 teams have 2 customer teams and 2 teams have 1 customer this new format is also just as unfair. More so. As it is always the 1 top team (with 1 customer team) that is hit most and not more randomly everyone possibly. In fact, Mercedes has 4 teams come 2021. It is a highly unfair scenario that is being rolled out.

Wouter

In Suzuka, representatives of the FIA ​​and Liberty have discussed with the team managers details on the mini-races, which will replace the qualifier next year at three Grand Prix tests for 2021. In the eye are the GP weekends of France, Belgium and Russia.

The starting grid for the qualifying race on Saturday corresponds to the reverse WC stand. The result of the sprint is then the starting grid for the real Grand Prix on Sunday.

All penalties will be credited to the main race. The qualification run, which will last around 45 minutes, will be started at 3 pm local time on Saturday, just like the current qualification. At the request of the TV stations, the cars are to remain for ten minutes after their journey on the grid, before the field is sent on the journey. This increases the tension.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... 0-details/
The Power of Dreams!

izzy
izzy

Wouter wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 19:36
In Suzuka, representatives of the FIA ​​and Liberty have discussed with the team managers details on the mini-races, which will replace the qualifier next year at three Grand Prix tests for 2021. In the eye are the GP weekends of France, Belgium and Russia.

The starting grid for the qualifying race on Saturday corresponds to the reverse WC stand. The result of the sprint is then the starting grid for the real Grand Prix on Sunday.

All penalties will be credited to the main race. The qualification run, which will last around 45 minutes, will be started at 3 pm local time on Saturday, just like the current qualification. At the request of the TV stations, the cars are to remain for ten minutes after their journey on the grid, before the field is sent on the journey. This increases the tension.
so that's race numbers 10, 14 and 17, out of 22. After 9 races the top 5 should be together, at the back of the class :mrgreen:

and 4 races after, so it shouldn't be too decisive, however it goes. Of course it's quite a severe test with the current cars instead of the all-new ground effect cars in 2021. but great that they're going to try it first

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Wouter wrote:
At the request of the TV stations, the cars are to remain for ten minutes after their journey on the grid, before the field is sent on the journey. This increases the tension.
What a load of crock. Increases the tension? What tension?

First they move race starts to 10min after the hour, for TV, now this. Which TV? I'm guessing this is a US idea.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

izzy wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 20:13
Of course it's quite a severe test with the current cars instead of the all-new ground effect cars in 2021. but great that they're going to try it first
If the 2021 rules don't happen then lotto-qualifying won't either. As the 2021 rules are currently looking suspect, I wouldn't hold out hope for your lotto-qualifying happening.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

izzy
izzy

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 21:04
izzy wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 20:13
Of course it's quite a severe test with the current cars instead of the all-new ground effect cars in 2021. but great that they're going to try it first
If the 2021 rules don't happen then lotto-qualifying won't either. As the 2021 rules are currently looking suspect, I wouldn't hold out hope for your lotto-qualifying happening.
The EZFollow ground effect cars will happen, just with more scope to design. Yes I don't know about the scandalous leader-sabotaging :lol: Saturday reverse wdc race, but the teams have all signed up for the experiment so let's watch and see

flynfrog

I always like the system WoO sprint cars use here in the states.

Random draw for time trial order- you get 2 laps.

4 Heat races with say 5 cars inverted start by fastest lap in time trial. 8 laps Winner goes to the front 5 in order by time trial order. Second to the second group on down the line. I also suggest they do a 2-3 start

It works a little different in sprint cars because they have multiple mains so you can race your way back to the A main if you have a bad qualy.

dans79

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 21:02
Wouter wrote:
At the request of the TV stations, the cars are to remain for ten minutes after their journey on the grid, before the field is sent on the journey. This increases the tension.
What a load of crock. Increases the tension? What tension?
It seems they feel the need to entertain the lowbrow members of the fanbase!
197 104 103 7

El Scorchio

Sounds rubbish. At least they’re only doing it for three races. Hopefully that should prove enough this isn’t necessary or wanted by the majority of drivers or teams. I look forward to watching a big pile up in the first couple of corners at France and/or then a situation where everyone is too aggressive and there are a tonne of incidents, crashes or penalties, or people too cautious to pass for fear of ruining their Sunday.

My question is why on earth aren’t they doing it at Monza though, where there was the biggest problem/farce with the tow? Wouldn’t by any chance be because they don’t want to risk the Ferraris not getting a pole or a race win?...

MtthsMlw

Looking like the idea was rejected by the teams, so no changes for next year.
According to autobild:
https://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel- ... 65947.html

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

RZS10 wrote:
12 Oct 2019, 19:21
Any qualifying format which would force the drivers into a certain order of leaving the pits is rubbish for one very simple reason: in changing conditions it could screw over certain drivers thus not giving them equal opportunities ... i'm sure the backmarkers would love it but it's just an unfair system and that is why it was abandoned after tinkering with it from 2003 until 2005 iirc
This!!!
All drivers must be allowed to set a lap at any time or else it is NOT qually, it would be by definition a weather lottery.

Leave qually as it is, it is nearly perfect. Just add a reverse wdc position grid sprint race instead of FP3. Combine the results of both to form the grid for the grand prix.