Changes To Qualifying

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ENGINE TUNER

Re: Changes To Qualifying

dans79 wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 19:05
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 18:51
What does F1 not being a spec series have to do with drivers knowing how to both pass and defend cleanly?
Because In a formula series the cars are not designed for close racing. They are designed to yield the best lap time.

A reverse sprint race in Monaco for example would be ridiculous. A Williams would start P1 and finish p1 as long as the driver didn't screw up.
The regs are being reformulated to focus on closer racing for 2021, you know this, why ignore it?

Yes Monaco would be rediculous, IT ALREADY IS.

But assuming Williams won the sprint race, they would still qualify last and so their combined qually score would NOT put them on pole position for the gp anyway in my proposed system.
Last edited by ENGINE TUNER on 17 Sep 2019, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.

ncx
ncx

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 17:44

Turn Fp3 into a reverse wdc position grid sprint race.

Keep qually as it is, combine the results of both to form the grid for the gp.
In that case, it would be better to do Q first and the sprint race later, otherwise not that many cars would take part in Q. Anyway, with the current regulations I don't think a sprint race would work well, as overtaking is too difficult and risky; a driver's racecraft is not enough of a differential in a short race, imo.

ENGINE TUNER

ncx wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 19:19
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 17:44

Turn Fp3 into a reverse wdc position grid sprint race.

Keep qually as it is, combine the results of both to form the grid for the gp.
In that case, it would be better to do Q first and the sprint race later, otherwise not that many cars would take part in Q. Anyway, with the current regulations I don't think a sprint race would work well, as overtaking is too difficult and risky; a driver's racecraft is not enough of a differential in a short race, imo.
I agree, qually before sprint race, could be a better solution.

I've seen top drivers make up several positions on the first lap, racecraft matters. 45mins +1 would fit well in tv time and give plenty time for racecraft to make a difference.

The car/aero regs and tires are supposedly being reformulated to give us closer racing, we shall see.
Last edited by ENGINE TUNER on 17 Sep 2019, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

dans79

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 19:11
The regs are being reformulated to focus on closer racing for 2021, you know this, why ignore it?
It will still be a design series, and nothing the FIA/FOM can do will prevent the teams and engineers from exploiting every possible avenue to decrease lap times, and this always has an adverse effect on close racing.

Maybe it will be ok for a season or 2, but the teams will find a way. They always have and they always will.
197 104 103 7

ENGINE TUNER

dans79 wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 19:27
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 19:11
It will still be a design series, and nothing the FIA/FOM can do will prevent the teams and engineers from exploiting every possible avenue to decrease lap times, and this always has an adverse effect on close racing.

Maybe it will be ok for a season or 2, but the teams will find a way. They always have and they always will.
The teams will have to choose between designing a car that works better in free air or in traffic, nothing new, as they now compromise peak downforce for more consistent downforce often.

strad

The problem with qualifying (and maybe with the races) is that there are too many cars on too short of a track at one time.
Perhaps we should consider having FP1 and maybe FP2 broken into two sessions with only half the field on track at one time.
Or something similar to the days when they had to pre-qualify within a certain preset time.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Nickel

It seems to me that much of the resistance to the concept is based on people enjoying watching qualifying rather than its suitability for deciding the starting order of the race.

To say that a reverse order sprint race is arbitrary is true, however it's no more or less arbitrary than basing it on a time trial session as it is now. It is different, yes, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with that.

As for the enjoyment derived from watching quali as it exists now, they could easily have a time attack session for points during the weekend instead of using it to decide the grid. Ditch the point for fastest lap in race and do a short time attack session.

I for one think a reverse order sprint race to decide the grid is a fantastic idea and monaco can suck a lemon. That place should only be a time attack, the race is generally awful.

dans79

Nickel wrote:
17 Sep 2019, 22:40
To say that a reverse order sprint race is arbitrary is true, however it's no more or less arbitrary than basing it on a time trial session as it is now. It is different, yes, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with that.
what?

A reverse order sprint race is the governing body intentionally penalizing those that are faster. That's worlds apart from what we have now.
197 104 103 7

Nickel

I agree that it's vastly different. my point is that the current method is also arbitrary.

Big Tea

So what if a car does not set a time? either an off or mechanical etc?
The obvious answer would be start from the back, but as its reversed..?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Zynerji

Qualifying is perfect as it is, it just contains imperfect competitors, as we've witnessed.

1000 things need fixed in F1 before qualifying is "next"on the list.

Just_a_fan

I'm guessing the competitors want this because they can't beat Mercedes technically. They're hoping that Mercedes won't be able to follow close enough to overtake and so give them a qualifying advantage.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

strad

????
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

notsofast

Please let's not change qualifying. To achieve close racing, all we need is a small adjustment to the rules. It is my understanding that we already have a rule that prohibits impeding another driver. Simply define "dirty air" as impeding another driver. Problem solved!

gngr

More action on track, more people from different teams on the podium, closer championship fights and more excitement for the people on the venue... I see mostly positives. Maybe I'm just crazy for not wanting to see the same guys on the podium race after race and year after year. This gives the smaller teams somewhat of a fighting chance.