Renault ECUs impounded

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Big Tea

Re: Renault ECUs impounded

saviour stivala wrote:
19 Oct 2019, 12:21
browney wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 11:45
Has it been confirmed how racing point found out?
What can it be other than a whistleblower? It is said that racing point’s protest is a 12 page very specific and detailed protest, outlining why it believes Renault is using such asystem.
Do the ECU go back to Mclaren for service?
Good thing they are switching from Renault next year :twisted:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

littlebigcat

I assume the report is 12 pages long because it details every time Renault used the system.

saviour stivala

Big Tea wrote:
19 Oct 2019, 17:47
saviour stivala wrote:
19 Oct 2019, 12:21
browney wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 11:45
Has it been confirmed how racing point found out?
What can it be other than a whistleblower? It is said that racing point’s protest is a 12 page very specific and detailed protest, outlining why it believes Renault is using such asystem.
Do the ECU go back to Mclaren for service?
Good thing they are switching from Renault next year :twisted:
"Does the ECU go back to McLaren for service?" I don't think so. But apart from 'I don't think so', what if it does?. No software owner/provider (power unit supplier as regards power unit software, and teams as regards rest of car software) is going to return the FIA approved and mandated ECU to McLaren complete with software for servicing. (a note:- any software used have to be approved by the FIA). The ECU is essentially a computer, a switching system and power management. through sensors data and other modules is how ECU collects information it intends to make decisions on. I am 100% sure that the FIA impounded Renault ECU from on the car is complete with software used.

sosic2121

I wonder how long has RP been waiting to make this protest. This has been the best result for Renault since Monza.

sosic2121

I wonder how long has RP been waiting to make this protest. This has been the best result for Renault since Monza.

bill shoe

sosic2121 wrote:
20 Oct 2019, 12:04
Timing may also be influenced by time to end-of-season. There may be a general sense that the FIA is unlikely to change results after the season ends. So protests that will obviously be somewhat slow to resolve must be lodged well before the last race.

Big Tea

bill shoe wrote:
20 Oct 2019, 20:17
sosic2121 wrote:
20 Oct 2019, 12:04
Timing may also be influenced by time to end-of-season. There may be a general sense that the FIA is unlikely to change results after the season ends. So protests that will obviously be somewhat slow to resolve must be lodged well before the last race.
And of course, the later in the season, the more points to loose, and not so long to regain them :evil:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NathanOlder

Renault disqualified from Suzuka results
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

nzjrs

RZS10

Just a general question ... are ERS maps somehow excluded from Article 27.1 of the FIA Sporting Regulations? Because the same argument (driver aid) could be made against those since drivers can rely on an automatic system that deploys it instead of having to do it themselves .....

What a silly decision ... the system is perfectly legal yet illegal

wesley123

RZS10 wrote:
23 Oct 2019, 23:01
Just a general question ... are ERS maps somehow excluded from Article 27.1 of the FIA Sporting Regulations? Because the same argument (driver aid) could be made against those since drivers can rely on an automatic system that deploys it instead of having to do it themselves .....

Agreed, this system isn't any different from other maps present on the car.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

i70q7m7ghw

It was an ex-employee that spilled the details to RP, probably wouldn't take much to figure out who moved from Renault to RP for this season...

It's been ruled as a driving aid, fair play. I don't agree with RP holding out and effectively making a tactical protest, I think the FIA need to consider reprimanding them for not reporting it earlier if they've known about this for a while...

gshevlin

My takes:
1. This is (as is normal in the midfield) all about Constructors points. RP wanted more points desperately.
2. The FIA verdict, translated into PlainSpeak, is "Renault are very clever, but just stepped on the wrong side of the regulations. But we know they are seriously considering whether to even stay in the sport, so here is the minimum punishment we think we can give them and still mollify Racing Point".
Shades of the whole mass damper affair.

Xwang

RZS10 wrote:
23 Oct 2019, 23:01

I agree with you.
It seems as if following the technical regulations is not enough to be sure that the car is technically legal. :wtf:

littlebigcat

If this system is illegal then so is mapping MGU-K recovery based on the bias etc