2021 Miami race announced

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Mogster

Re: 2021 Miami race announced

The layout as posted looks highly speculative, as if someone’s just drawn it on the map with a marker pen crayonista style... I’ve not been to the area but from Apple maps 3D the East end has raised access roads that the proposed layout just ignores. The area available does seem larger than you’d imagine at first glance, the North straight is over 1km as planned.

lucafo

Xwang wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 14:03
I would have preferred to see F1 at Daytona Wec circuit.
Me either!

Scorpaguy

It is a crap layout designed for revenue...not racing. We have all these great tracks and Liberty gives us this ](*,)

fritticaldi

I believe that the FIA did the right thing awarding the USA a 2nd Formula 1 race. Although Austin and Miami are excellent choices for holding races, I always wanted F1 to return to California.
For me the logical place to hold a Grand Prix is Long Beach. The setting and layout has nothing to envy the other city tracks around the world. The last time F1 went to Long Beach was 1983. Subsequently, Bernie Ecclestone wanted more money and that was sadly the end for Long Beach.

Hoffman900

It is a bummer they overlooked so many good racetracks here for an autocross course.

Liberty is more interested in that Monaco type atmosphere than actual good racing. Kind of hard to do that in the middle of Wisconsin or upstate New York.

GalacticHitchHiker

Mogster wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 20:12
The layout as posted looks highly speculative, as if someone’s just drawn it on the map with a marker pen crayonista style... I’ve not been to the area but from Apple maps 3D the East end has raised access roads that the proposed layout just ignores. The area available does seem larger than you’d imagine at first glance, the North straight is over 1km as planned.
Having a look on street view maps, that part of the layout seems like it will use a small on ramp to the turnpike under the interchange bridges combined with new pavement.

Zynerji

This is gonna be lit. Might be worth the flight...😏

Miami humid AF tho...😪

Just_a_fan

If F1 has to have a second US GP (why, when there are so many good real tracks around the world?), why not go to somewhere classic like Laguna Seca? A made-up city track. Really? Why?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

Less than 5% of the population know what is "Laguna Seca" so Miami is definitely the right choice imo.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

SmallSoldier

PlatinumZealot wrote:Less than 5% of the population know what is "Laguna Seca" so Miami is definitely the right choice imo.
If you mean in the US... of the General Population, probably... Of the universe of people that are into Motorsports and therefore F1, that percentage will probably be more than 90%... If you like racing, you know “Laguna Seca”... And outside of the US, I’m sure most of the Formula 1 fans also know about Laguna Seca

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hoffman900

Less than 5% of the population probably knows what 'Spa' is too. I don't think that's a good argument.

Liberty wants a certain type of event, that's their pejorative as the owner/ promoter, but seeing cool cars on a cool track isn't their main focus.

If F1 does want to highlight how "green" they are, then Miami is a good place for it, considering the issues they have and will have with rising sea levels.

I just hope no manatees are injured from the inevitable boat parade :lol: (I'm only half joking though).

GalacticHitchHiker

I get what you're saying about using an existing track with history, but Laguna Seca is in no way suitable for Formula 1. It's too short and the elevation change at the corkscrew would shred floors. Not to mention the nimbys in the area around the track fighting any effort to have more racing there.

MtthsMlw

Zynerji

3 DRS zones? 🤔

Looks very fast and technical. Overtaking probably DRS only.

dans79

It's going to murder on the engines, thats a lot of full throttle!
197 104 103 7