2021 Miami race announced

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Scorpaguy

Re: 2021 Miami race announced

Singapore on steroids.

Monaco with no elevation changes.

Baku with no scenery.

At least it will make Sochi look better.

Airshifter

Hard to say until it happens. Lots of times things look one way, and the actual racing ends up another.

The atmosphere and bling will be in place.

The racing? We will see....

GalacticHitchHiker

I'm not expecting much from the atmosphere when the track is in the parking lot of a football stadium. I hope the racing is good with the 2022 cars.

Ringleheim

This "plan" has disaster written all over it.

I live about 1.5 hours north of where the race will be run.

First, that is a really dumpy part of Miami, out in the middle of nowhere (where the football stadium is).

Second, as we have seen in places like Dallas, Las Vegas, and Phoenix, driving around on a street circuit in what is effectively a parking lot is not a great idea.

Third, the area around the track is nowhere near the sexy part of Miami, where visitors to the race will want to spend all their free time when stuff is not unfolding on track.

I honestly hope this is a huge failure and goes away rather quickly; F1 doesn't need garbage like this tarnishing its image.

It's all just a giant load of rubbish.

Zynerji

I wonder what kind of investment Florida has planned to improve the area for this recurring event.

It may improve that area greatly over the next 10 years!

dans79

Ringleheim wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 22:41
Third, the area around the track is nowhere near the sexy part of Miami, where visitors to the race will want to spend all their free time when stuff is not unfolding on track.
Have you been to Austin? It's not any better, the track is in the middle of nowhere. Off track parking is usually someones yard. It also takes 20 to 40 minutes to get to the track (with no traffic) depending on where you are staying.
Last edited by dans79 on 26 Apr 2021, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
197 104 103 7

nzjrs

Came to this thread expecting to see spicy comments like the Jeddah race. Interesting.

rscsr

Ringleheim wrote:

First, that is a really dumpy part of Miami, out in the middle of nowhere (where the football stadium is).

Second, as we have seen in places like Dallas, Las Vegas, and Phoenix, driving around on a street circuit in what is effectively a parking lot is not a great idea.

I honestly hope this is a huge failure and goes away rather quickly; F1 doesn't need garbage like this tarnishing its image.

Isn't such a huge investment usually done to upgrade a less desirable area? I.e. because so many people are there, there is a huge opportunity for local developments.

Juzh

dans79 wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 23:12
Ringleheim wrote:
Have you been to Austin? It's not any better, the track is in the middle of nowhere. Off track parking is usually someones yard. It also takes 20 to 40 minutes to get to the track (with no traffic) depending on where you are staying.
That's pretty much the norm tbh. Unless you're staying in camps next to track it self I don't see a problem.
I've been to loads of European races and if you can somehow find accommodation in 20-40 minutes range that's a big win. Usually it's like 1 hour drive to track's parking lot and another 30-60 minutes to grandstands. I remember silverstone had a traffic collapse one year due to rain and people were stuck for hours and hours in their cars.

mclaren111

Ringleheim wrote:

Agreed... If/When Politicians are involved, corruption are not far behind...

Singabule

This is drag strip with AMS lambo and GTR may faster than F1 in this track. Too much straight hence street driver may as fast as Hamilton. Not good tendency on F1 seen lately with its new track.