The random question thread.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wass85
Wass85

The random question thread.

I thought I would open a thread in which diehard fans and casuals can ask any question about any topic regarding F1.

Sometimes casuals can be put off by in depth technical threads and such, I hope this is helpful to those just joining the sport.

Here's my question, I've watched F1 for decades now but since Hamilton joined in 2007 I seldom miss any GP live on the TV. After all these years I've only been to watch one race live in 2010 at the Silverstone GP.

Don't get me wrong I was gobsmacked by the speed and noise of the cars but i felt i get more enjoyment watching it on the TV as you get a better picture on what's happening in the race. I do however want to go and watch these cars at their fastest before they change the regulations again in 2021.

My question is which race in Europe offers more bang for your buck than Silverstone as I've heard it's cheaper to travel abroad than it is to watch it there. I want the best circuit possible to showcase their amazing speed, maybe Belgium or Austria?

El Scorchio

Re: The random question thread.

Probably best off to do the research yourself on that one.

Hungary worked out pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things when I went there.

NathanOlder

Barcelona is fairly cheap. The flights, tickets and hotels are good value. Plus the public transport to the circuit from the City is good. I went to winter testing a few years back, and will go to a race there in a few years when my children are a little older.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Wass85
Wass85

El Scorchio wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 10:11

Hungary worked out pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things when I went there.
Yeah it's a nightmare though looking to drop on a special offer here and there. If I have to go to Silverstone again then so be it but if I can get cheap flights and a hotel then I'd love to go to Belgium, Austria or Hungary like you said.

Wass85
Wass85

NathanOlder wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 10:19
Barcelona is fairly cheap. The flights, tickets and hotels are good value. Plus the public transport to the circuit from the City is good. I went to winter testing a few years back, and will go to a race there in a few years when my children are a little older.
Cheers, we're you seated or general admission?

It would also be helpful if anyone can tell me which circuits offer the best views to see F1 cars at their best. Seeing them going through copse and through maggots, becketts was mind blowing.

El Scorchio

Wass85 wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 10:21
El Scorchio wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 10:11

Yeah it's a nightmare though looking to drop on a special offer here and there. If I have to go to Silverstone again then so be it but if I can get cheap flights and a hotel then I'd love to go to Belgium, Austria or Hungary like you said.
I’d definitely recommend Hungary. If you can get cheap flights, the race tickets are reasonable in the grand scheme of things, Budapest is a very cheap city to have a mini break in, and the circuit is really cheap and easy to get to.

hollus

Barcelona is a dream from a logistics point of view, but racing...
I went for the weekend in general admission, 2015 or 2016.
Testing was great as we were allowed in the grandstands as well, moving around and seeing different corners, but for the race, general admission does not offer any decent viewing points. The grsndstsnd after Campsa could have been ok, but you only see the slow section :-(
Plus, in the race, nothing happens.
Would not be my choice.
Rivals, not enemies.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Anybody who doesn't yet have tried Monza couldn't claim to have been to an F1 race. But agree that as for watching a and the goings on action, watching on TV is hard to beat.

Wass85
Wass85

hollus wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 10:36
Testing was great as we were allowed in the grandstands as well, moving around and seeing different corners, but for the race, general admission does not offer any decent viewing points. The grsndstsnd after Campsa could have been ok, but you only see the slow section :-(
Would not be my choice.
Cheers pal, looks like that one will be crossed off my list.

Wass85
Wass85

Which do you prefer, seeing them live or watching it on TV?

I must say on race day watching it at the circuit most of my interest was on what Hamilton was doing so I found myself watching the screens as much as watching them pass me on circuit. You have so much more info watching TV.

MtthsMlw

Watching qualifying in Spa at Pouhon is amazing. I think this year I paid 150€ for weekend general admission.
Not many hotels around there but you could camp.

El Scorchio

TV is definitely better for some things, but it's much more intense when you're there- especially the anticipation of the start of the race. They do do a good job with big screens and live raceday commentary though, even if it's not a patch on broadcast commentary. I've also been pretty lucky and seen some decisive incidents right in front of me at almost every race I've ever been to.
Personally, I'd really recommend shelling out for seats where you can see the start/finish line, but that's my personal preference and it's obviously not the cheapest option.

Wass85
Wass85

Cheers fellas, input appreciated.

Wass85
Wass85

Another question that I've not seen answered.

We often hear about the delta needed to overtake on specific circuits. They seem to overestimate the delta big time IMO.

I mean how many times have we seen cars overtake a rival with similar paced cars? And when they do make the pass they don't pull a gap nowhere near as much as they should with the quoted delta.

NathanOlder

hollus wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 10:36
Would not be my choice.
Yeah very true. In testing, like you say, walking the track and having access to all stands is great. Spend 30mins in each stand. But I guess the race in spain is never a great one .
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC