Slipstream effect of 2021 cars

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan

Re: Slipstream effect of 2021 cars

strad - the same thing happens where boats / ships are close together too. I guess the flow between the two bodies is sped up because the side shape of both is curved so there is a venturi effect between the bodies.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AJI
AJI

dans79 wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 02:47
Restomaniac wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 23:40
AJI wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 22:57

There's a lot to be said for spec racing on a damp track with tyres that last
That’s not the point I’m making.
I think you missed his point, spec racing with tires that last forever, is about the only way you'll get racing like that.
^^^This guy gets it.

That race had a very specific set of circumstances that created that battle. Aero may improve the situation, but unless you change the tyres to 'everlasting damp track grip' and BoP the cars, we're never gonna see this kind of battle in F1.

Maritimer

strad wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 21:27
In NASCAR they can do what they call "side draft" because there is some slight vacuum just off the side of the cars. In fact they have to be careful not to be pulled into the side of the other car. With all this talk of out wash is there no side draft or do you think they can get a side draft?
Side draft is a thing because the cars are asymmetrical about the center line. The drivers side of the car is shaped slightly while the passenger/right side is much flatter.

dans79

Maritimer wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 23:47
strad wrote:
In NASCAR they can do what they call "side draft" because there is some slight vacuum just off the side of the cars. In fact they have to be careful not to be pulled into the side of the other car. With all this talk of out wash is there no side draft or do you think they can get a side draft?
Side draft is a thing because the cars are asymmetrical about the center line. The drivers side of the car is shaped slightly while the passenger/right side is much flatter.
They are also as aerodynamic as a brick compared to an F1 car.
197 104 103 7

mzso

dans79 wrote:
11 Nov 2019, 00:58
If you mean low drag by that, you're probably wrong. They have all these drag producing elements. Two big wings and four uncovered tyres, they're in fact have a lot worse drag than passenger cars.

strad

I knew the older cars were flat on the right and curved on the left but I thought that had to do with cornering forces not side drafting. Also thought the newer body rules might have changed that. Thanks for the info.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Juzh

piast9 wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 21:11
Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Nov 2019, 10:23
I happened upon a youtube video of the 2002 Australian GP t'other day. Interesting because Schumacher was tucked up behind Trulli for a few laps. Even though MS was within 0.2s (I saw 0.12s at one point) behind JT, he couldn't pass him. Coming on to the straight, MS was no.more than three car lengths behind JT but couldn't get a tow sufficient to allow the overtake. MS only got through when JT spun himself in to the wall.
I think the RPM limiter was the huge issue back then. The tow was useless if you couldn't gain the speed past certain artificial limit which was more or less the same as the car you want to overtake. Current regulations with the fuel flow limit rather than the engine RPM are much better.
RPM limiter only became an issue with post 2009 cars, more so with 2010 and the F-duct, and then went trough the roof from 2011-2013 with DRS. It definitely wasn't a problem in V10 cars, those had power to spare to run longer gears.

Restomaniac

AJI wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 23:36
dans79 wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 02:47
Restomaniac wrote:
09 Nov 2019, 23:40
That’s not the point I’m making.
I think you missed his point, spec racing with tires that last forever, is about the only way you'll get racing like that.
^^^This guy gets it.

That race had a very specific set of circumstances that created that battle. Aero may improve the situation, but unless you change the tyres to 'everlasting damp track grip' and BoP the cars, we're never gonna see this kind of battle in F1.
So we don’t have wet races in F1 and we aren’t changing the tyres in a fundamental way? Plus we’re not tightening up the rules making the differences the teams can make far smaller as well as reducing the differences in what they can spend?

PlatinumZealot

dans79 wrote:
Maritimer wrote:
strad wrote:
Nascar track is also close to the walls which enhance the side draft.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

strad

HUH?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

raymondu999

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Nov 2019, 16:26
dans79 wrote:
Maritimer wrote:

Afaik you stay away from walls in order to have less drag. I remember Hamilton saying at the Indy GP that as soon as he could do it he would swerve away from the oval wall
失败者找理由,成功者找方法