Zandvoort

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
TEHNOS

Re: Zandvoort

NathanOlder

RZS10 wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 02:05
wonder whether drivers who missed the corner will be allowed to slowly re-enter via that narrow strip of tarmac, should theoretically be slower than taking the corners normally and would be safer than turning around and rejoining head on
Oh jeez its like 1989 all over again just the other way round :lol:

It may well turn out to be slower, but its hardly a punishment for screwing up the corner. Plus drivers will lock up, and instantly come off the brakes to take the exit route and save damaging their tyres. this 1 particular route is silly, and drivers will exploit it.

FIA should issue 3 second penalties every time a car passes through there.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

TEHNOS

Capharol

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 10:53
RZS10 wrote:
wonder whether drivers who missed the corner will be allowed to slowly re-enter via that narrow strip of tarmac, should theoretically be slower than taking the corners normally and would be safer than turning around and rejoining head on

It may well turn out to be slower, but its hardly a punishment for screwing up the corner. Plus drivers will lock up, and instantly come off the brakes to take the exit route and save damaging their tyres. this 1 particular route is silly, and drivers will exploit it.

Why don't you just wait and see till you judge

NathanOlder

Capharol wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 13:26
NathanOlder wrote:
RZS10 wrote:

I can see that the run off area wont lose you anywhere near as much time as it should. I dont need to wait and see, I can see that already.

I'm curious how much time loss do you think it will cause by running down the escape route and rejoining the track without going on to the gravel?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

TEHNOS

In case...bumpstop is ready...

Capharol

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 13:53
Capharol wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 13:26
NathanOlder wrote:

https://i.ibb.co/XWLJZYq/LKfQtUX.jpg

I can see that the run off area wont lose you anywhere near as much time as it should. I dont need to wait and see, I can see that already.

I'm curious how much time loss do you think it will cause by running down the escape route and rejoining the track without going on to the gravel?
and you know what, there is a rule.... "that you have to give the place back you gained in these circumstances" so just stay relaxed and wait till all is cleared and which rules the FIA applies to this corner, instead of complaining with out exact knowledge on how this corner gonna be handled or even before it is all finished .....

small example of what it could become .... very easy actually

so again don't judge till its finished

NathanOlder

I hope you're right mate. I just know when it comes to things like this the FIA are generally useless, and the stewards then become gutless.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Capharol

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 19:22
I hope you're right mate. I just know when it comes to things like this the FIA are generally useless, and the stewards then become gutless.
i think we will have other things to moan about at Zandvoort GP (Wind, Sea, Dunes, not always that good weather in NL) so it will be exciting what comes and what happens

TEHNOS

The Arie Luyendyk corner is turning dark grey!

notsofast

Surely just an illusion, but it looks like they're paving directly onto loose sand.

TEHNOS

Pics are not clear if it is only sand, it could be a gravel aggregate mix which we can't see.

Sand is very good when laid flat, but on a slope it is not a good material, so not good for a embankment with heavy loads. Sand also has a tendency to get washed away in heavy rains, but if designed well, it is a very easy material to work with in terms of placement and compacting .

I do not know the structure(s) applied at Zandvoort but there's many ways to deal with the lateral loads. But don't forget that the loads act at the asphalt layers of about 150 mm thickness, which is placed on 50 cm foundation of broken gravel. Because of this, soil massive which is mobilized to withstand the the lateral loads is enormous. I doubt any additional structures are needed to guarantee the stability of the slopes.

Dutch engineers have a lot of experience with these type of structures,

Wouter

notsofast wrote:
04 Feb 2020, 01:46
Surely just an illusion, but it looks like they're paving directly onto loose sand.

Maybe this (translated) information will help you a little bit. (03-02-2020)

The banking and speed (including through DRS) also mean that the Luyendyk bend differs from all other, regular bends. This also applies to the composition of the asphalt. VolkerWessels, for example, already announced at an earlier stage that it was using special machines as well as a special asphalt mix. "For the asphalt we have to deal with a top layer and bottom layer. And that top layer for the bend must be of such an asphalt mixture that the tires do not break while driving. So we have been talking with Pirelli and especially Dromo about what the ideal mixture is for the top layer of the asphalt, "Marnix Drysdale said.

That special asphalt mixture has since been partly applied in the Luyendyk bend. It is still a test at this stage, a spokesperson for the Dutch Grand Prix told Motorsport.com when asked. In other words, it is tested whether the special composition for the cornering in practice matches the theory. The entire bend will then be asphalted in the presented form.
https://nl.motorsport.com/f1/news/circu ... n/4679975/
The Power of Dreams!

TEHNOS

Manoah2u

excitement levels raising!!!!!!!!
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"