Zandvoort

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jolle

Re: Zandvoort

Mr.S wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 13:33
Jolle wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 12:35
Mr.S wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 12:27
This has the potential to a modern classic track like Suzuka. Let us see. The main thing is if the straight is long enough to overtake. I think it is with DRS & slip-stream. The entrance to the straight is also quite flat-out I think & they will be going in fast & above 300km for sure. What do they go? Low drag to maximize overtaking but then lose a ton of time in the fast corners - I think not !

I think it will be a 2 stopper if it stays dry. The elevation change & the fast corners are just quite steep & quick & you will see degradation & a 2 stopper I think with undercut potential & tyre management being key. I also think that there will be Safety Cars just because of the crazy elevation (by modern F1 tracks comparison) it will lead to bad crashes & someone will try an overtake in these fast crazy corners & mess up or some back-marker will struggle to get out of the way.

Hopefully no crazy rain & if the main straight where you get 310+km speeds acts the way it is supposed to (with overtakes), it should be a fun race !
The way we always setup the car was to have the best exit from Kumo (the corner before last corner), the rest of the lap is a compromise because it's almost impossible to overtake (even in a touring car).
That is true. Qualifying will be important but we saw overtakes (many) in Imola this time. Bar Monaco overtaking was not difficult especially due to tyre differences. This track will not be easy on the tyres. I wonder how much time will be lost in the pits?

Exit while approaching the main straight & carrying huge speed is important. Get a good tow, open DRS - The straight looks big enough while carrying so much speed. But the rest of the track I agree overtaking is impossible. Let us see how difficult overtaking is !
\
Do you think there will be crashes? With 70 laps, tyre difference & huge changes in elevations in fast corners, that is a possibility. You don't see how huge run-offs here !
Don’t think there is big risk for big crashes, most of the circuit you don’t even get the chance to put a nose on the inside or outside, cars are generally swooping from left to right on the kinks that make up the small straights leading up to schijvlak.
Obvious overtake would be Tarzan, but because it’s not a left-right combination, you can easy defend it with taking the inside line, the corner is long enough to then still have a good enough exit. After Tarzan it’s just way to narrow.

Mr.S

Yea one of the issues is that all the grip & the racing line obviously on the inside in the main straight. So if a car takes the inside line (car in front), it will be incredibly difficult for the following car to do it from the outside. I guess this will be somewhat like Hungary & maybe Imola where tyre differential will be key. Qualification will also be important !

BosF1

First trucks already arrived this morning at Zandvoort, which partially explaines why the teams were not very keen on postponing the Belgian GP to today.