Zandvoort

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wouter

Re: Zandvoort

Interview (English) with the architect of the "new circuit", Jarno Zaffelli from Italian Studio Dromo. 4.40 min.

https://motorsport.tv/embed/92eLTtmc?autoplay
The Power of Dreams!

strad

Thanks Wouter Image
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Wouter

strad wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 22:58
Thanks Wouter http://www.stradsplace.com/photos/thanksua8.gif
You're welcome @Strad. What a nice ---> Image

May I use it elsewhere? I like it!
The Power of Dreams!

strad

May I use it elsewhere? I like it!
Of course mate, feel free. Image
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Capharol

Dutch Grand Prix organisers say the late Charlie Whiting played an important role in the idea of adding a banked corner at the Zandvoort circuit.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/zand ... n/4606577/

mclaren111

:o :shock: :shock: :o

Just_a_fan

It looks like the banking is concave. If so, moving up (or down) it will cause a small change in effective ride height between the relatively flat lower section and the "dip" in the middle of the bank. That's going to change the downforce from the underside. Presumably the centripetal effect is sufficient to counter that, but doesn't it mean that there will always be an optimum line thro9ugh the corner which the drivers will all figure out and use. If so, does the bank actually help with the aim of improving overtaking?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Capharol

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 13:57
It looks like the banking is concave. If so, moving up (or down) it will cause a small change in effective ride height between the relatively flat lower section and the "dip" in the middle of the bank. That's going to change the downforce from the underside. Presumably the centripetal effect is sufficient to counter that, but doesn't it mean that there will always be an optimum line thro9ugh the corner which the drivers will all figure out and use. If so, does the bank actually help with the aim of improving overtaking?
yes because if you get the curve wrong you can't carry the speed to the straight, so if your opponent does it right and his exit speed is better + DRS it will be a great point to overtake

Just_a_fan

Capharol wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 14:00
Just_a_fan wrote:
yes because if you get the curve wrong you can't carry the speed to the straight, so if your opponent does it right and his exit speed is better + DRS it will be a great point to overtake
But does the banking help that? And if it does, does the concave nature reduce the benefit? That's the question.

Obviously the banking needs to be steeper higher up as the speed will be greater and you need greater centripetal force to counter the greater speed. But will the drivers need to choose their line on the banking before the corner, or can they change it as they corner? Could two cars drive the banking side-by-side, for example?

Capharol

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 14:06
Capharol wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 14:00
Just_a_fan wrote:
But does the banking help that? And if it does, does the concave nature reduce the benefit? That's the question.

Obviously the banking needs to be steeper higher up as the speed will be greater and you need greater centripetal force to counter the greater speed. But will the drivers need to choose their line on the banking before the corner, or can they change it as they corner? Could two cars drive the banking side-by-side, for example?
i guess you need to choose your line before starting that corner, and no i don't think it will be a good idea to enter that corner with two cars, that would compromise the one that will be on the upperside of that banking, because i guess the Gforce will force you to the outside gradually as you go through the corner....

but i think it will be a perfect spot to position yourself to get good exit speed + DRS for the straight to overtake....

of course these are all assumptions my side and we have to wait till mai 2020 to see how everything pans out at Zandvoort

Just_a_fan

It'll be fun in the wet - the top will obviously be the preferred line (water will drain down the slope) but running the steeper bank at lower speed will be "fun"...

mclaren111

Not sure when this & above photo were taken... Lots of work left though...

Big Tea

Just wondering what is going to happen to that track in heavy rain? Yes of course it will run off, but what will the effects be in the track material (+rubber) and the downforce on the car. will it become a lateral force?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 17:17
Just wondering what is going to happen to that track in heavy rain? Yes of course it will run off, but what will the effects be in the track material (+rubber) and the downforce on the car. will it become a lateral force?
Well. The same as in a normal corner but with no standing water.

strad

Hopefully they will incorporate some drain at the bottom so there will not be a lake around the bottom of the corner.
Sir Stirling Moss